First 2005 Word:

winninguglyin83

And Project Crede is under way;

While Joe Crede entered Sunday hitting .344 with four home runs and nine RBI over his past nine games, the third baseman was still one of the bigger disappointments of 2004.

Crede struggled throughout most of the season and was hitting just .239 entering Sunday.

Rather than easing the Sox's mind and convincing them they were set for years at the hot corner, Crede instead left them with more questions about third base. But hitting coach Greg Walker said he was confident Crede will be right by spring training.

"Joe's got one mechanical flaw, and it's something that should be able to be corrected," Walker said. "When we got to spring training, I thought it was something that could be fixed early. It was just something that I didn't realize how deeply embedded it was in how he goes about hitting."

Crede has been working on keeping his back knee from leading his swing and is planning to build a batting cage at his home this offseason to continue working on the change Walker suggested.

"I feel really good that he recognizes that this is the problem we have to solve," Walker said. "This little bit of success shows him that it's working and let's go after it.

"We're going to keep in touch (this offseason). If they asked my opinion, I'd say, 'Hey, Joe Crede is going to be ready by next year.' That's my opinion."

Daily Southtown reports that Santana will be released as the first base coach today.

They already said that Harold will coach the outfielders next year. Ozzie is is own infield coach. Pure speculation, Baines to 1B and bring in an old guy who is a real strategist for the bench?

That I could handle.  I really want to see a vet on the bench.

I don't think Baines will be the 1B coach. He doesn't have the expertise re: stealing bases which is a part of the 1B coaches' responsibility, nor can his knees handle being on his feet for all that time.

I've love to see Carlton Fisk come back.

Probably a long shot, but with Ozzie, Fisk, Cora and Walker, that would give us some pretty no-BS guys running the show.

From what I have always heard, it will be a cold day in hell before Pudge draws another paycheck from Jerry and Eddie. A lot of bad feelings there over the whole 1993 retirement mess.

How about Elia? Man that would be fun :lol:

Seriously, I echo ss2k5's ccomment. A veteran ex-manager type would be a big plus. I might even agree that the person gets shoved down Oz's throat so to speak. KInd of like the Dikta - Buddy deal.

I've love to see Carlton Fisk come back.

Probably a long shot, but with Ozzie, Fisk, Cora and Walker, that would give us some pretty no-BS guys running the show.

Cora may be a candidate for the Mets job. Link.

We already knew that Takatsu and Pollitte's options would be picked up.

I don't think Baines will be the 1B coach.  He doesn't have the expertise re: stealing bases which is a part of the 1B coaches' responsibility, nor can his knees handle being on his feet for all that time.

That 1st base coach was viewed as a problem [ie not helping guys steal bases] could mean Willie should be back. Getting a coach who can help teach sox players how to steal should help Willie utilize his speed.

Now if that coach can also help willie bunt, I can see him hitting 9th on the 2005 sox. It makes sense getting a 1st base coach who can help these guys bunt and run.

That 1st base coach was viewed as a problem [ie not helping guys steal bases] could mean Willie should be back. Getting a coach who can help teach sox players how to steal should help Willie utilize his speed.

Now if that coach can also help willie bunt, I can see him hitting 9th on the 2005 sox. It makes sense getting a 1st base coach who can help these guys bunt and run.

Heck if someone could teach Willie to bunt and steal consistantly, we wouldn't need to find another lead off man.

"But I think this team is going to start winning the division. We're going to rebuild with the (Ryan) Sweeneys and (Brian) Andersons, but I don't think we're too far away from seeing what I want to see."

Miguel Cabera came up quickly with the Marlins and made a difference. He started 2003 in AA and then was called up in June for the Marlins. The Whitesox usually take a real long time to promote outfielders through the system. Maybe we are going to be a bit more aggressive with our prospects. I think this is a good idea, as we have seen that keeping people in the minors forever doesnt necessarily promote their success. IE Joe Borchard.

"But I think this team is going to start winning the division. We're going to rebuild with the (Ryan) Sweeneys and (Brian) Andersons, but I don't think we're too far away from seeing what I want to see."

Miguel Cabera came up quickly with the Marlins and made a difference. He started 2003 in AA and then was called up in June for the Marlins. The Whitesox usually take a real long time to promote outfielders through the system. Maybe we are going to be a bit more aggressive with our prospects. I think this is a good idea, as we have seen that keeping people in the minors forever doesnt necessarily promote their success. IE Joe Borchard.

On the contrary, we should leave them down there longer and teach them how to play the game. How to bunt, hit and run, hit behind the runner, go with the pitch, hit the cutoff man, throw to the right base, how to go from first to third on a single, hit a sac fly, etc.

From what I have always heard, it will be a cold day in hell before Pudge draws another paycheck from Jerry and Eddie.  A lot of bad feelings there over the whole 1993 retirement mess.

FWIW ( and probably not worth much if you consider the source,) last september Ncorgbl was claiming that Fisk and JR made up at that 1983 reunion party. He also maintains that Fisk always had a problem with Schueler, not Reinsdorf. Like I said, consider the source.

FWIW ( and probably not worth much if you consider the source,) last september Ncorgbl was claiming that Fisk and JR made up at that 1983 reunion party.  He also maintains that Fisk always had a problem with Schueler, not Reinsdorf.  Like I said, consider the source.

FWIW, I would trust my source on this one a little more, as they haven't been totally discreditited and embarassed :lol: . Plus I know for a fact they know they people they talk about... :ph34r:

On the contrary, we should leave them down there longer and teach them how to play the game.  How to bunt, hit and run, hit behind the runner, go with the pitch, hit the cutoff man, throw to the right base, how to go from first to third on a single, hit a sac fly, etc.

That kind of stuff should be taught in little league.

If a new bench coach is needed, it better not be a some rookie coach. I want an ex-coach or manager that is a vet. I was not happy with Harold this season, and want some expierence on the bench next season.

BTW, I noticed it last night, before the game, DJ sat down with Oz, and Oz talked about all the coaches, and what a great job they did, and he left out Soriano, which I found odd. I guess there was a reason.

Tony, Who's Soriano? :rolly