Robin Ventura is retiring

AddisonStSox

Inspired by our other two threads about free agents...

Both Robin and Herbert Perry are free agents...would we have any use for either? Is the bridge burned between Robin and the Sox? I think Robin would be a good clubhouse presence and a nice weapon off the bench, but he may be too expensive. I dunno if either of those two would contribute, but I think it'd be a good PR move to bring them back.

I'm Pro Robin in 05'

ryan_vs_ventura.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No on Perry, he's barely played the last couple of years, and hasn't played well when he's had the chance. Ventura's played mostly 1b, and we already have a logjam there. I suppose if he's inexpensive, I'd trust the Sox if they thought he could contribute. But I don't want him back as a goodwill gesture.

Inspired by our other two threads about free agents...

Both Robin and Herbert Perry are free agents...would we have any use for either? Is the bridge burned between Robin and the Sox? I think Robin would be a good clubhouse presence and a nice weapon off the bench, but he may be too expensive.  I dunno if either of those two would contribute, but I think it'd be a good PR move to bring them back.

I'm Pro Robin in 05'

ryan_vs_ventura.jpg

NO THANKS

ESPN Link

The veteran infielder announced his retirement following the Dodgers' 6-2 loss in Game 4, according to ESPN's Pedro Gomez.

Ventura batted .243 with five homers and 28 RBI in 2004. He hit 294 homers in his 16-year career. He was the active leader in grand slams with 18, good for third on the all-time list.

One of my all-time favorite Sox players. Nice career.

There was a month when he was with the Sox that he hit like .500 with a ton or RBIs and Hrs. IIRC he ended the month with a walk off Grand-Slam.

I'd love to find his stats for that month, I've googled and googled without any success.

I honestly wouldn't mind Perry if we traded Konerko.

He would replace Gloads bat off the bench, could play 1st and 3rd, decent pinch hitter.

I say bring him on. :bringit

Agreed. With Gload then taking over at 1B, I think Perry would be a nice player to have. Plus...He's the Milkman! He always delivers!

a_perry_t.jpg = milkman.jpg

There was a month when he was with the Sox that he hit like .500 with a ton or RBIs and Hrs. IIRC he ended the month with a walk off Grand-Slam.

I'd love to find his stats for that month, I've googled and googled without any success.

He actually Hit a Grand Slam?? :lol:

Thanks for the memories Robin! He was a perfect fit for the southside, and his glove and big hits will be missed in the MLB.

37-year-old Robin Ventura said following Sunday's game that he's retiring.

Ventura would have received offers had he decided to come back, but he's done after 16 years. The five-time Gold Glover finishea his career at .267/.362/.444 with 294 HR and 1,182 RBI in 2,079 games with the White Sox, Mets, Yankees and Dodgers. He's no Hall of Famer, but he's probably one of the most underrated players in recent times. Oct. 11 - 3:41 am et

http://rotoworld.com

--It's on the baseball part