Wouldn't this be nice

Chisoxfn

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Some tribune article suggests Sosa gets dealt to the Yanks for Kevin Brown. I realize the Cubs are the teams city rival, but this would be fantastic as it would knock off a major player in the Beltran sweepstakes as well as give the Yanks (a team I hate far more then the Cubs) a crappy, overrated, ahole like Sosa.

Hey, I could dream couldn't I??? Of course none of this article is based on any truth or rumor.

2 things.

I don't think the Cubs are a MAJOR player for Beltran unless they move sosa's contract. Removing the Yanks from the sweepstakes, only increases the chances of him going to the Cubs

King George already has 4 OF's under contract next season. (sheffield, Williams, Matsui, Lofton) at a cost of about $35M

Why would he need to add another?

2 things. 

I don't think the Cubs are a MAJOR player for Beltran unless they move sosa's contract.  Removing the Yanks from the sweepstakes, only increases the chances of him going to the Cubs

King George already has 4 OF's under contract next season. (sheffield, Williams, Matsui, Lofton) at a cost of about $35M

Why would he need to add another?

Because Boston is in the World Series.

Jason's right, if the Cubs want to move Sosa, they'll have to move very quickly. The only other 2 places that have been mentioned are Kansas City and the Mets, although I could possibly see the Giants making an offer if they miss out on a starting pitcher or an outfielder like Maggs.

Jason's right, if the Cubs want to move Sosa, they'll have to move very quickly. The only other 2 places that have been mentioned are Kansas City and the Mets, although I could possibly see the Giants making an offer if they miss out on a starting pitcher or an outfielder like Maggs.

I can't see the Giants paying that kind of money. And Sosa would KNOW that he could never surpass Bonds as the figurative BMOC. So you'd have a disgruntled, egotistical, overpaid slugger in RF to go along with Mr. Sunshine in LF.

SF will end up with Alou..

KC??? they can't handle Sosa's huge salary, that automatically renews and goes up if he's traded.

The could think about it if they dumped Sweeney, and I think there have been rumors filtering out of KC talking about this very scenario. Good call on the Alou thing. That is probably what will happen in SF.

The could think about it if they dumped Sweeney, and I think there have been rumors filtering out of KC talking about this very scenario. Good call on the Alou thing.  That is probably what will happen in SF.

That's definitely been the scenario thrown around. Of course with Sexson and Delgado on the FA market, it'll be hard to move Sweeney, and he had a trade kicker in his deal too. I forgot about Alou, if the Cubs don't pick up his option, which they certainly won't, he'll go to the Giants. I doubt they could put up with Dustan Mohr and Michael Tucker in the outfield for another season.

SF will end up with Alou..

KC??? they can't handle Sosa's huge salary, that automatically renews and goes up if he's traded.

Actually the Giants are my darkhorse for Beltran. Really it is a perfect fit. They need protection for Barry, and in two years, they lose his huge salary, so they only have to make it work until Barry breaks Aarons record. JMO.

Some tribune article suggests Sosa gets dealt to the Yanks for Kevin Brown.  I realize the Cubs are the teams city rival, but this would be fantastic as it would knock off a major player in the Beltran sweepstakes as well as give the Yanks (a team I hate far more then the Cubs) a crappy, overrated, ahole like Sosa.

Hey, I could dream couldn't I???  Of course none of this article is based on any truth or rumor.

I'm not convinced that if the Yanks got Sosa, they still wouldn't go after Beltran. I have yet to hear Steinbrenner ever say, well, we ran out of money. They could dh sammy, or trade Matsui. Sheffield is probably trade protected, I would guess. Who would want Matsui? A lot of clubs, but he'd be a natural for the Mariners.

I'm not convinced that if the Yanks got Sosa, they still wouldn't go after Beltran. I have yet to hear Steinbrenner ever say, well, we ran out of money. They could dh sammy, or trade Matsui. Sheffield is probably trade protected, I would guess. Who would want Matsui? A lot of clubs, but he'd be a natural for the Mariners.

I doubt the Yankees would trade their best playoff hitter in order to get a whining K machine like Sosa.

Why would they trade Matsui, he was their best player in the playoffs and IMO he's better than Sosa at this current time and cheaper. He's not going anywhere.

The Cubs are stuck with Sosa in 2005.

No one will want any part of the contract unless the Cubs eat at least $15M of it. Remember if he is traded the club option year for 2006 is picked up - that's another $18M on top of the $17M he'll make in 2005.

You have to be a real piece of Samsonite to want any part of that. A-Rod' s deal is ridiculous but he still had trade value because he is in his prime. Sammy is on the slippery slope toward the end of his career.

Some tribune article suggests Sosa gets dealt to the Yanks for Kevin Brown.  I realize the Cubs are the teams city rival, but this would be fantastic as it would knock off a major player in the Beltran sweepstakes as well as give the Yanks (a team I hate far more then the Cubs) a crappy, overrated, ahole like Sosa.

Hey, I could dream couldn't I???  Of course none of this article is based on any truth or rumor.

Paul Sullivan has written pure nonsense right there. Is he the personal assistant (b****) of Jim Hendry? No knowledgable general manager would accept a trade involving Corkilicious; even at the price of exchanging albatross salaries.

I have a simple solution: ignore all phone calls from "The Magician" Jim Hendry and let the Cubs suffer through another devastating season. Why must someone help him out? Relieving the Cubs of their cancer and freeing up money only places them in a position to become stronger. You'll know the exact time all hope is given up on trading Sosa when he issues an apology for his actions. At that point Tribune has exhausted all venues to trading Corky, and will attempt damage control within the media.

Paul Sullivan has written pure nonsense right there.  Is he the personal assistant (b****) of Jim Hendry?  No knowledgable general manager would accept a trade involving Corkilicious; even at the price of exchanging albatross salaries. 

I have a simple solution: ignore all phone calls from "The Magician" Jim Hendry and let the Cubs suffer through another devastating season. Why must someone help him out?  Relieving the Cubs of their cancer and freeing up money only places them in a position to become stronger.  You'll know the exact time all hope is given up on trading Sosa when he issues an apology for his actions.  At that point Tribune has exhausted all venues to trading Corky, and will attempt damage control within the media.

I just can't imagine any scenario where a team would actually trade for sosa. The cubs would have to take on a huge multiyear deal from a player who sucks...And to be honest whos deal is worse than Sosa's if you include that option that kicks in when/if he is traded???

Its not gonna happen...Sullivan is simply selling an idea that IMO will never go down. The yankees pay money for players IN their prime, Sosa is done. The cubs have to rot with him

I remember Phil Rogers proposing a Chan Ho Park for Sosa swap in Texas. To me thats the only type of deal that would make sense. The Rangers get a semi productive, all be it ahole in Sosa, and the Cubs get an overpaid pitcher.

Hell, maybe Sosa to the Rockies for some of their bad contracts and I think we all know they got some ugly contracts.

However, it could make some sense for a small market team to land Sosa for sheer marketability. We all know he's an ass, but he's still somewhat of a fan favorite nationally, even though he's losing love in Chicago, even among northsiders.

Not even King Steinbrenner is that much of an idiot. Sosa throughout the mlb world is known as a steroroid monster who plays as an individual and whose skills have deteriorated greatly since laying off of stereoroids once they started testing seriously. I also believe sosa has 6 million more on his salary than brown. And imo, Brown is a considerably better player than Slammin Sammy Soso.

Not even King Steinbrenner is that much of an idiot.  Sosa throughout the mlb world is known as a steroroid monster who plays as an individual and whose skills have deteriorated greatly since laying off of stereoroids once they started testing seriously.  I also believe sosa has 6 million more on his salary than brown.  And imo, Brown is a considerably better player than Slammin Sammy Soso.

He is 3 million less than sosa.