Kevin Millar

DBAHO

This from Ken Rosenthal's Inside Dish,

The Red Sox could pursue a first baseman like Richie Sexson if they decline to invest heavily in free-agent starting pitchers and sign a short-term shortstop, intending for top prospect Hanley Ramirez to take over at short in 2006.

The Sox already have two first basemen under contract for '05 — Doug Mientkiewicz at $3.75 million and Kevin Millar at $3.5 million. Either or both could be traded, and another option would be to move RF Trot Nixon, who will earn $6.5 million in both '05 and '06.

Millar wouldn't be bad guy to look at for first base or the outfield if Lee or Konerko are moved. Witesoxfan has suggested Jose Guillen from the Angels, but I don't think he would fit into the clubhouse like D'Angelo Jimenez did. Millar went .297 with 18 HR's and 74 RBI's this season.

I'd say Trot Nixon is more likely to be moved than Millar. Millar is cheap yet a big part of the clubhouse. Nixon was hurt all year and Bos. proved they could win w/o him. His LH stick wouldn't look bad on the Sox.

I agree...Nixon would be a nice fit in RF if he is healthy. His 2003 season was very impressive. .306/28/87 .974 OPS. Nixon is a complete player, and would add a lefty bat to the lineup. The thing I really like about Nixon is his high OBP. He has a very impressive .367 career OBP(has had a .368 OBP in 4 out of the past 5 years). I wonder what Boston would want in return? If I am not mistaken, Boston has a ton of FA this offseason, so we will have to see who they retain.

This from Ken Rosenthal's Inside Dish,

Millar wouldn't be bad guy to look at for first base or the outfield if Lee or Konerko are moved. Witesoxfan has suggested Jose Guillen from the Angels, but I don't think he would fit into the clubhouse like D'Angelo Jimenez did. Millar went .297 with 18 HR's and 74 RBI's this season.

Jose Guillen already said he wants to return to the Angels and Scoscia wants him back as well.

I know that the Sox have already said they're probably going to stick with Crede at third, but is there any chance that Bill Mueller will come back to Chicago. It seems like he's a perfect Ozzieball player, while he doesn't have speed, he constantly puts the ball in play and is an ideal hitter for the hit and run. I think he'd be a great fit with this offense, and not at 10+ million dollars, should Boston decide not to re-up him

Guest hawaiisoxfn

I dont know about Millar (can he play rf?) but Nixon would be nice. He could play right and hit second, maybe even first if Rowand struggles. As for Guillen, he seems to be something of a headcase. The whole thing with throwing his bat down after being removed from the game and then getting suspended for the rest of the season. I think we should pass on that one.

Had the Red Sox been swept by the Yankees or even just lost, most likely this Red Sox team would have been broken up to an extent. Now that the World Series victory is almost a certainty, you could even see Varitek, Lowe and Pedro back in Red Sox uniforms.

Thats not to say that Millar and Minky will both be back. A platoon of Millar and Minky is not worth seven million dollars, and Theo knows that. Personally, as much as I like Minky as a person and as a player, and as frustrating as Millar gets at times, without Millar I don't think this team puts it self in the place its at right now, up 3-0 in the World Series.

Manny loves him, Pedro loves him, hell everybody loves the guy. He's a class act, and a real respected clubhouse leader.

With all this being said, I don't see Mueller going anywhere, although Youkilis could be available to Oakland in a deal involving Zito, Hudson, or Mulder.

Nixon, the same. He's loved in Boston, he loves it here, and jeez, if you guys think the Red Sox would pay any part of Nixon's contract, your nuts.

Nixon, the same.  He's loved in Boston, he loves it here, and jeez, if you guys think the Red Sox would pay any part of Nixon's contract, your nuts.

I wasn't sure about Millar, but I kind of figured that was the way it was for Nixon. I remember a few years back when there were rumors of Sosa going to either New York or Boston and Nixon's name came up as part of the package, and Boston fans went apes***.

They really like that guy.

Millar at 3.5 million is practically free. I'd be shocked if they moved him at that price. Nixon would be a great pick up IF he could stay healthy. The problem is the guy misses months of the season consistently.

I'll never forget when I turned on a RedSox game and found out Trot Nixon was white and Troy O'Leary was black. I was shocked. It should've been the other way around.

Guest hawaiisoxfn

While were talking about Boston, Im starting to think we could get a pretty good deal from Gabe Kapler. If Maggs doesnt resign, we could get him (I dont know if hes an FA, but his salary is only 750,000$) for probably two midlevel prospects. In 2001, with Texas, he his .267 with 17 homers, 72 RBIs and 23 SBs in 134 games. If he got to play in 150, Id say he could hit about .270 with 20+ homers, 80+ RBIs and about 25 SBs. Not a bad deal for $750,000.

I wasn't sure about Millar, but I kind of figured that was the way it was for Nixon.  I remember a few years back when there were rumors of Sosa going to either New York or Boston and Nixon's name came up as part of the package, and Boston fans went apes***. 

They really like that guy.

His near 1.000 OPS last year doesn't hurt either.

;)

While were talking about Boston, Im starting to think we could get a pretty good deal from Gabe Kapler. If Maggs doesnt resign, we could get him (I dont know if hes an FA, but his salary is only 750,000$) for probably two midlevel prospects. In 2001, with Texas, he his .267 with 17 homers, 72 RBIs and 23 SBs in 134 games. If he got to play in 150, Id say he could hit about .270 with 20+ homers, 80+ RBIs and about 25 SBs. Not a bad deal for $750,000.

Kapler also loves it in Boston, arbitration will bring his contract up over a million dollars in my opinion, but I would imagine that he takes the 750-850k to stay with the Red Sox unless the White Sox or any other team guarantee him a starting job, a position, I personally don't think hes able to fulfill.