Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)
Damn...I don't want to have to dislike Baltimore.  I always pulled for them in that division.  Sosa will make it hard to do so.

Peter Angelos gets his payback against the Nationals. The Orioles are never going to be competitve in that division, no matter how good their offense may be, unless they seriously upgrade their starting pitching. Sidney Ponson doesn't cut it.

WGN radio in Chicago is reporting that Sammy Sosa will be traded to the Orioles within the next few days for Jerry Hairston Jr. and minor leaguers.

No Jorge Julio would be kind of a surprise. WGN is also saying it's likely that a trade would follow that would bring the Rays a replacement for Sosa in the outfield. Aubrey Huff maybe?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
I just noticed hot stove baseball has been on tonight, has anyone been listening to it?

yeah -- nothing but Sosa crap -- Coop is on right now

Caruthers -- http://thebaseballcube.com/profiles/CR/tbc5019.asp

Fontenot -- http://thebaseballcube.com/profiles/FO/tbc5318.asp

These two are mentioned in the Sosa trade

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
yeah -- nothing but Sosa crap -- Coop is on right now

Caruthers  -- http://thebaseballcube.com/profiles/CR/tbc5019.asp

Fontenot -- http://thebaseballcube.com/profiles/FO/tbc5318.asp

These two are mentioned in the Sosa trade

and by Coop, I meant walker.

If the O's trade for Sosa... they are the biggest dumb asses in the world!!!! First of all he is one of the most hated men in Chicago and what makes them think he won't be in Baltimore? And he is just going to get worst because he is running out of gay excuses just to suck... sneeeze, toe, cork, problems in the dugout just to name a few.. ohhhh and did i mention strikouts almost verytime he bats!!!!!

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 09:17 PM)
If the Cubs turn Sosa into Hairston and Huff, Mr. Hendry---you just pulled a fleecing.

There is still alot of money to be tossed around in the deal, and it was reported that the O's wanted Huff. If all it took were prospects to get him, why wouldn't the D'Rays trade him to Baltimore? (Yes I realize they are in the division, but if the O's are willing to overpay....)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 09:21 PM)
There is still alot of money to be tossed around in the deal, and it was reported that the O's wanted Huff.  If all it took were prospects to get him, why wouldn't the D'Rays trade him to Baltimore? (Yes I realize they are in the division, but if the O's are willing to overpay....)

Exactly, and it's not really like either or is gonna be competing for the playoffs next year. This is pissing me off and i am not even an orioles fan.

Several sources told the AP that Sammy Sosa will be traded to the Orioles, with the Cubs paying a substantial portion of the $17 million he's owed this season.

Sosa reportedly would waive his no-trade clause and agree to void his salary in 2006. That makes it sound as if a contract extension won't be part of the deal. The Cubs will definitely get Jerry Hairston Jr. and prospects. Jorge Julio may or may not be involved. Jan. 28 - 11:01 pm et

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
How in the hell does he plan on voiding his salary? (They wouldn't let A-Rod give money back)  And would why would Baltimore trade for one year's worth of Sosa?  :huh:

That part might be sorta complicated.

When the rumor first came out about the union letting him void the 2006 part of the deal which only kicked in if he was traded, the reasoning was that the money wasn't guaranteed to him. Meaning if he wasn't traded he wouldn't get that money.

In the case of A-Rod, it was money he was to be paid no matter what team he played for.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Oriole fans on the website Qwery posted are reporting:

Sosa

-for-

Hairston Jr.

2 prospects ( Caruthers/Fortenot likely included)

No mention of Lugo or Farnsworth in this deal.

Both of them are considered top ten prospects on that orioles site. I wonder how bad the orioles asses are hurting?

A source told ESPN.com that the Cubs will be responsible for about $10 million of the $17 million Sammy Sosa is due this year.

It's unclear how the rest of the finances will be worked out. Being traded is supposed to guarantee Sosa's 2006 salary at $18 million and add a $19 million option for 2007 with a $4.5 million buyout. The MLBPA previously told Sosa's agent, Adam Katz, that voiding the 2006 salary and 2007 option would not be a problem if Sosa is traded, but there's still the $4.5 million buyout of his 2006 option if that clause isn't activated. Even though he's believed to be eager to leave Chicago, Sammy might want something to waive his no-trade clause. Jan. 29 - 4:12 am et

The Pirates are negotiating with free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz.

''We're having some talks, but that's about all I want to say,'' agent Howard Simon said. ''You always have a positive reaction when a team is interested in your player.'' A Burnitz signing would take Tike Redman out of the Pirates' lineup. That'd make him a significant upgrade even though he's likely to decline. Jan. 29 - 3:36 am et

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette