Rumors thread

witesoxfan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't read this whole thread, so I'll earn lashes if these have been mentioned already.......

-- Pavano and Yankees close to a deal (4 years - between $40-46 million)

-- Jaret Wright and the Yankees deal still not finalized. Apparently his shoulder did not pass an initial physical. I guess they will have to check it out further.

-- Mets still think they have a shot at signing Pedro

From CBS Sportsline....

Meanwhile, there appears to be a mysterious holdup in the Jaret Wright deal with the Yankees. Wright last week agreed to terms on a three-year, $22.5 million deal, but reports are that his shoulder didn't pass the Yankees' stringent physical examination.

The Twins will sign Rusty Greer to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Greer would take Jose Offerman's spot and act as a part-time DH and a pinch-hitter if he shows he's healthy. Dec. 11 - 1:29 pm et

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press From rotoworld.

Once they sort out the Corey Koskie and Jacque Jones situations, the Twins likely will sit down and try to hammer out a multiyear deal with Johan Santana.

Santana will be eligible for free agency following the 2006 season, so he might not be interested in anything more than a two-year deal. For 2005, he's due to more than triple his 2004 salary of $1.6 million in arbitration. Dec. 11 - 1:32 pm et From rotoworld.

I am just posting this about sanatana for all of those who believe you can only double your salary in arbitration.

Clemens Accepts Astros' Arbitration Offer

Move Means Pitcher Will Remain With Houston or Retire

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Dec. 11) -- Roger Clemens accepted the Astros' offer of salary arbitration Saturday, meaning he will either play for Houston next season or retire.

Clemens said last week that he was leaning toward retirement. His agent, Randy Hendricks, said the seven-time Cy Young Award winner probably will make his decision between Jan. 5 and 20.

By accepting the arbitration offer, the 42-year-old right-hander is no longer a free agent and is considered a signed player on the Astros' roster under baseball rules.

If Clemens decides to play in 2005, the pitcher and the Astros either will agree to a contract or his salary will be determined by an arbitrator.

A lot of you need to prepare to be dissapointed.

The Red Sox are on the verge of signing Edgar Renteria to a four-year deal in the $40 million range, the Boston Globe reports.

$10 million per season is what Renteria deserves in this market. The 29-year-old is a safe choice to be above average for the next four seasons and he'll probably mix in one or two years of star-level play even if he never again has another season like his 2003. Dec. 11 - 5:41 pm et

The Yankees and Carl Pavano are currently putting the finishing touches on a four-year deal worth about $40 million.

Whether it's $38 million, $40 million, $42 million or $46 million, it seems certain that Pavano will be a Yankee. Now we'll probably see the Tigers and Orioles turn to Derek Lowe. The Mariners might be more likely to join in the Matt Clement frenzy. Dec. 11 - 6:01 pm et

:crying

The Yankees and Carl Pavano have agreed to terms on a four-year, $44 million contract, SportsTicker reports.

The AP says the deal will be worth about $39 million. According to agent Scott Shapiro, Pavano made the decision to sign with the Yankees early this morning. He'll join a Yankee rotation that is still in flux beyond the top two starters. Javier Vazquez and Kevin Brown remain candidates to be traded and deals with Jaret Wright and Eric Milton are still up in the air. Dec. 11 - 7:15 pm et

Why would anyone here be satisfied with the Sox giving that kind of money to a one year wonder?

I've no idea - the guy's had one good year in a "comfortable" place to play in Florida. I guess were going to find out just how good he is, when he has to pitch in the pressure cooker that is Y***ee stadium. Sink or swim time.

ok if any1 heard levine today they could help. i heard from a freind who was listenig to tom share and jeff dickerson said that levine said the sox were talking to the marlins about alex gonzales. any truth to this?

Probably a lot of truth to it.

IIRC, the Marlins really, really want to dump Gonzalez, and there's the Ozzie connection here, plus -- we still have a hole at SS or 2B, whichever of the two Uribe isn't occupying.

Then again, a deal wouldn't be made for Gonzalez alone. We'd be getting a relief pitcher, or someone -- Luis Castillo would be nice, but that's most likely a dream.

ok if any1 heard levine today they could help. i heard from a freind who was listenig to tom share and jeff dickerson said that levine said the sox were talking to the marlins about alex gonzales. any truth to this?

Ugh. His sub-.300 career OBP makes me want to knife myself.

Great deal for the Brewers. I heard Steve Phillips talking about it and he said the buzz was Atlanta was giving up another good arm as well. Don't know if their is any truth to that or not.

Cappellan is one of the very best pitching prospects out their but this move does make sense for the Braves cause it gives them an ace pitcher (ie Smoltz). The question is how will Smoltz handle the move back to the rotation.

Probably a lot of truth to it.

IIRC, the Marlins really, really want to dump Gonzalez, and there's the Ozzie connection here, plus -- we still have a hole at SS or 2B, whichever of the two Uribe isn't occupying.

Then again, a deal wouldn't be made for Gonzalez alone.  We'd be getting a relief pitcher, or someone -- Luis Castillo would be nice, but that's most likely a dream.

Makes all kind of sense.

Gonzalez is so Ozzie-esque is it not even funny. Good defensive SS, latin, doesn't walk, and they knew each other probably pretty well in Florida too.

So long as we do not have to give up a lot, or we get some others in return that will help us out.

The Orioles may be turning their attention toward Richie Sexson after learning Carlos Delgado wanted a four-year, $64 million contract.

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles offered Delgado $30 million over three years and the Mariners have a four-year, $44 million proposal on the table. The Orioles have also offered Sexson a deal, possibly for four years. Just because Delgado's the older player doesn't mean he should get the shorter contract. Because of Sexson's shoulder, Delgado is probably the safer long-term option

:o