Talkin Baseball

quickman

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES.

I've argued these points in another Randy Johnson thread.  We have to understand some players may not want to join this organization.  Mediocrity is not a selling point, and neither is the weakness of this division.  When the choices are between the White Sox, Angels, Cardinals, and Yankees we should be at the bottom. 

/Shawn Chacon is still available.

Actually, the mediocrity of the division might be a very good selling point. We play 19 games against each team and Johnson is wanting to reach that 300 win plateau.

Actually, the mediocrity of the division might be a very good selling point.  We play 19 games against each team and Johnson is wanting to reach that 300 win plateau.

Johnson may not feel comfortable relying on a offense consisting of Juan Uribe, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Ross Gload, Aaron Rowand. I don't know if a pitcher of Randy's caliber will believe in the concept of "grinders."

Johnson may not feel comfortable relying on a offense consisting of Juan Uribe, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Ross Gload, Aaron Rowand.  I don't know if a pitcher of Randy's caliber will believe in the concept of "grinders."

With Frank Thomas, Carl Everett, and Carlos Lee too, along with a potential FA signing or a trade along with it. Not that the offense is among the league's best, but you seem like you are making it out to be one of the league's worst, when not only is it almost impossible to have one of the league's worst offenses in the ballpark we play in, but quite frankly, that the offense is not one of the worst offenses in the league. Losing Konerko would do very little to effect the offense...it would hurt us at home, but on the road, we could actually end up benefitting from trading Konerko...his horrid road numbers have been posted before(something like .310 29 70 1.050 at home, .240 12 47 .700 on the road). And all we would really need out of the 5th starter spot is 10-12 wins...his ERA could be 7.00 and I would not care, so long as he got us 10-12 wins. And what's stopping the Sox from dishing out another $1-2 mill and getting a Wilson Alvarez/Paul Abbott/Darren Oliver type via FA and having that pitcher be our #5 starter?

It seems that a very good 1-5 rotation is what triggers long stretches of good baseball...you get all 5 of them giving solid outings night after night, and the offense just gets a little hot, and next thing you know you've won 10 of 12. One of the reasons Oakland won 20 in a row a couple years back was their excellent starting pitching(the big 3, plus Lidle had like an entire month where he didn't give up a run).

Also, from what I have read, I have seen no indications from RJ whether he will or will not accept a trade to the Sox...it has just said that he wants to be traded. It's still in the wait and see stage.

Signing Randy Johnson would do so much more for this team and city than just give us a quality pitching staff.

It would put the Sox as one of the lead stories on sportscenter. It would give the fans a better perception of the organization. It would do so many things and if Randy led the Sox to the postseason, it would give the Sox the front line ace that can carry a team during the playoffs.

Ya, RJ would be a hell of a pickup. And I still think the Sox are the frontrunners at this point. If they don't get him, I expect the Sox to still be a part of the deal cause I think the Yanks are the only other team that will get him (Cards don't have the offer, imo) and the Sox will be involved in that deal acquiring Vazquez who I think is their fallback plan.

Your missing the problem.

If we get RJ then there is no new offense talented to help. No free agents. No money left!

I mean it's like you expect JR to raise the payroll to 90 Mil if we sign RJ (IT'S NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE)!

If we had a huge payroll I would love it. Hell I'd be the first in line. But i'm not going to get a 40+ year old pitcher and not be able to improve any other aspect of our team.

Johnson may not feel comfortable relying on a offense consisting of Juan Uribe, Joe Crede, Willie Harris, Ross Gload, Aaron Rowand.  I don't know if a pitcher of Randy's caliber will believe in the concept of "grinders."

Ya, an offense that was 3rd in the AL in runs scored this past season. Sure they lose Konerko but they add Thomas and if Levine is right and if my belief is right the Sox, after dealing Konerko, will be signing some type of veteran bat.

Whether its Dye, whether its Burnitz, whether Hildalgo, Gibbons, etc. Those names may not sound amazing, but all of them are capable of putting up good numbers.

If they don't get him, I expect the Sox to still be a part of the deal cause I think the Yanks are the only other team that will get him (Cards don't have the offer, imo) and the Sox will be involved in that deal acquiring Vazquez who I think is their fallback plan.

Good point, that is a very likely scenario if we dont get him.

I really didn't like it when I heard his name floating around is...

16 million for a guy who won't lead us into the playoffs isn't worth it.

sign free agents...don't bother dealing...yet...

For people not wanting to mortgage the future I'll say this. If the Sox go out and sign some of these big name free agnets, they will be giving up draft picks, so in a sense they will still be mortgaging the future.

However, If the Sox make any signings I don't expect them to do it until Dec 15th (I think thats the last day teams can offer arbitration).

If we get RJ then there is no new offense talented to help. No free agents. No money left!

Actually it would be more toward 80 million if we trade konerko. BTw, we have one of the best offenses in the league and a guy like hidalgo or dye for a couple million is an option. So offensive help???No, we need a stud starter.

With Frank Thomas, Carl Everett, and Carlos Lee too, along with a potential FA signing or a trade along with it.  Not that the offense is among the league's best, but you seem like you are making it out to be one of the league's worst, when not only is it almost impossible to have one of the league's worst offenses in the ballpark we play in, but quite frankly, that the offense is not one of the worst offenses in the league.  Losing Konerko would do very little to effect the offense...it would hurt us at home, but on the road, we could actually end up benefitting from trading Konerko...his horrid road numbers have been posted before(something like .310 29 70 1.050 at home, .240 12 47 .700 on the road). And all we would really need out of the 5th starter spot is 10-12 wins...his ERA could be 7.00 and I would not care, so long as he got us 10-12 wins.  And what's stopping the Sox from dishing out another $1-2 mill and getting a Wilson Alvarez/Paul Abbott/Darren Oliver type via FA and having that pitcher be our #5 starter?

It seems that a very good 1-5 rotation is what triggers long stretches of good baseball...you get all 5 of them giving solid outings night after night, and the offense just gets a little hot, and next thing you know you've won 10 of 12.  One of the reasons Oakland won 20 in a row a couple years back was their excellent starting pitching(the big 3, plus Lidle had like an entire month where he didn't give up a run).

Also, from what I have read, I have seen no indications from RJ whether he will or will not accept a trade to the Sox...it has just said that he wants to be traded.  It's still in the wait and see stage.

Thats going a little out their wite, implying this team would be better on the road without Konerko. Regardless of his splits, Paulie was a very valuable part of this offense the past season. And it will be a loss not to have him, but Thomas and like you mention a FA will hopefully soften the blow.

I mean it's like you expect JR to raise the payroll to 90 Mil if we sign RJ (IT'S NOT HAPPENING PEOPLE)!

If we had a huge payroll I would love it. Hell I'd be the first in line. But i'm not going to get a 40+ year old pitcher and not be able to improve any other aspect of our team.

The payroll is currently at $65 mill, give or take.

By trading Kong and Garland for RJ, we are adding $5 mill, and from what I have read, payroll will be around $75-77 mill. Therefore, I come to the conclusion that the Sox will have $5-7 mill more to spend.

Also something to consider is that if we maybe included a prospect or two in that RJ trade(say one or two of Diaz, Munoz, Baj, et all, types), I'm sure Arizona could pick up some of his contract too.

We're not screwed financially if we get RJ, no matter how you look at it.

Let me state this clearly. If the Sox deal JG/Konerko then they are trading 11.4 million dollars in salary, give or take a few hundred k. They are adding 16 million. Thats a 5 million increase in payroll.

However if the Sox budget is going to be 75 million (i think thats a fair estimate with the acquisition of RJ) then the Sox have a total of 12-14 million that they can add this offseason. So after acquiring RJ they would have anywhere from 7 to 9 million left to pick up a 5th starter, sign a reliever, and sign a new 1st baseman or RF. It would be a little tigh, but more then plausible, imo.

Acquiring RJ does not end the offseason like many people seem to speculate.

Thats going a little out their wite, implying this team would be better on the road without Konerko.  Regardless of his splits, Paulie was a very valuable part of this offense the past season.  And it will be a loss not to have him, but Thomas and like you mention a FA will hopefully soften the blow.

Maybe I worded that wrong.

Perhaps we would be a more balanced team at and away from home would be better?

The payroll is currently at $65 mill, give or take.

By trading Kong and Garland for RJ, we are adding $5 mill, and from what I have read, payroll will be around $75-77 mill.  Therefore, I come to the conclusion that the Sox will have $5-7 mill more to spend.

Also something to consider is that if we maybe included a prospect or two in that RJ trade(say one or two of Diaz, Munoz, Baj, et all, types), I'm sure Arizona could pick up some of his contract too.

We're not screwed financially if we get RJ, no matter how you look at it.

Lol, we were both typing up pretty much the exact same post Wite :lol: :D

Maybe I worded that wrong.

Perhaps we would be a more balanced team at and away from home would be better?

I could semi agree with that, but I still don't think you can put any fault on PK for the crappy road record. He produced over the course of the season, case closed.

But I do think the Sox could replace his numbers semi, plus I would figure Konerko's numbers would regress a bit and fall more in line with his career numbers. PK is a good player, no doubt about it, but he can be replaced or at least semi replaced. It be nice to get a left handed bat in the middle of the lineup, especially if the guy had some speed.

Let me state this clearly. If the Sox deal JG/Konerko then they are trading 11.4 million dollars in salary, give or take a few hundred k.  They are adding 16 million.  Thats a 5 million increase in payroll. 

However if the Sox budget is going to be 75 million (i think thats a fair estimate with the acquisition of RJ) then the Sox have a total of 12-14 million that they can add this offseason.  So after acquiring RJ they would have anywhere from 7 to 9 million left to pick up a 5th starter, sign a reliever, and sign a new 1st baseman or RF.  It would be a little tigh, but more then plausible, imo. 

Acquiring RJ does not end the offseason like many people seem to speculate.

I will add this I feel the Sox will indeed increase payroll if the players are right. I will go on a limb and say they will be between 75-80 million when the winter is over. I have no data to prove this. Lets wait and see. ™

I will add this I feel the Sox will indeed increase payroll if the players are right. I will go on a limb and say they will be between 75-80 million when the winter is over. I have no data to prove this. Lets wait and see.

:lol: :bang :lol:

Yeah, way to go out on a limb TQ, the Red Hook Blondes must have taken hold of you, please. Everybody and their brother has been saying $75 Million for a while ...

What's next? Bertucci's was your own personal secret? :D :lol:

Please ... are you kiddin' me?

The girls are wonderful by the way, you should be very proud, and this time I AM serious.

Listen ... listen to me .... this increase in payroll is not news, it would be consistent with what they've always done which is play a zero sum game. Take in more, spend more. Take in less, spend less. Are you nuts, this is no revelation . I was there the first day Red Door opened, I hope you tried the chipolte chicken nachos , best thing on the specials board.

The Sox will do something big this offseason, mark my words. You can't decide whether they will or they won't, can't decide will they or won't they with your buddy Paulie, what's the matter with you, take a stand.

Everybody is in a tizzy and it's November. Relax, please, I'm serious (tq-tm).

There is lots of time. Sox always shop for bargains, that's the way it is. They will pick up at least one starting pitcher and a guy for the bullpen. Neither may be a guy we're excited about but let's wait to crucify them until we see how it works out.

What?

Trademark comment. Seems "someone" thinks certain ideas are his own and they are pilfered by others ... so the ideas are now trademarked, no names mentioned tq but it's better off that person tq remains anonymous, please. :D

:lol:  :bang  :lol:

Yeah, way to go out on a limb TQ, the Red Hook Blondes must have taken hold of you, please.  Everybody and their brother has been saying $75 Million ™ for a while ...

What's next?  Bertucci's was your own personal secret? :D  :lol:

Please ... are you kiddin' me?

The girls are wonderful by the way, you should be very proud, and this time I AM serious.

Listen ... listen to me .... this increase in payroll is not news, it would be consistent with what they've always done which is play a zero sum game.  Take in more, spend more.  Take in less, spend less.  Are you nuts, this is no revelation ™.  I was there the first day Red Door opened, I hope you tried the chipolte chicken nachos ™, best thing on the specials board.

The Sox will do something big this offseason, mark my words.  You can't decide whether they will or they won't, can't decide will they or won't they with your buddy Paulie, what's the matter with you, take a stand.

Everybody is in a tizzy ™ and it's November.  Relax, please, I'm serious (tq-tm).

There is lots of time.  Sox always shop for bargains, that's the way it is.  They will pick up at least one starting pitcher and a guy for the bullpen.  Neither may be a guy we're excited about but let's wait to crucify them until we see how it works out.

You keep using my lines, can you please get original, get real TM