*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were a Big 10 fan you'd care.  The whole idea of this week is beating the ACC, regardless of who from the Big 10 is playing.

I go to Illinois, and I don't give a s*** about what the other teams are doing against the ACC.

I root for teams, not divisions. ;)

I am just saying for the big ten in general. I agree with you about your feelings about purdue.

In my mind, Purdue was not a spot to look for the Big Ten to get a win, so tonight was expected. The Big Ten nees to win 3 out of 4 tomorrow night to have ANY chance of pulling this thing off.

Hmm watch Kansas play cupcakes at home, or watch the Big10/ACC challenge.... what a tough choice :rolly

give Nevada at least some credit for beating Kansas in Reno last year but this years team is missing their best player AND coach from last year so it does recude them to almost cupcake status

give Nevada at least some credit for beating Kansas in Reno last year but this years team is missing their best player AND coach from last year so it does recude them to almost cupcake status

http://www.kusports.com/basketball/schedules/

Take a look at this schedule. They play exactly one game away from Lawrence in 2004, and that road game is in KC. The best team they play is SC, that is pathetic.

I go to Illinois, and I don't give a s*** about what the other teams are doing against the ACC. 

I root for teams, not divisions. ;)

Well don't expect the Illini to get any more respect if the rest of the conference is easily beaten on national tv.

Is it just me or are there a handful or so of U of I fans on here that really shed a bad light on the Illini fanbase in general?

Well don't expect the Illini to get any more respect if the rest of the conference is easily beaten on national tv.

Is it just me or are there a handful or so of U of I fans on here that really shed a bad light on the Illini fanbase in general?

Why?? I understand exactly what santo is saying. You root for your teams not the conference. Do you really care what the al does in interleague play as long as the sox win??? I know i don't.

Why??  I understand exactly what santo is saying.  You root for your teams not the conference.  Do you really care what the al does in interleague play as long as the sox win???  I know i don't.

It's different when you're trying to gain respect for the conference as a whole, especially when they're playing on the ACC-biased ESPN.

I am the last person that would have ever expected Purdue to be as close as they were last night, but that's not the point.

Here and in real life, Illini fans say that their team doesn't get the respect it deserves. One way that can be changed is by the Big 10 out playing the ACC on national TV. I'd venture to guess that most people would say the ACC is the best conference in the nation, so what better way to make your team/conference look good than by beating the majority of their teams? A number of Big 10 teams are not going to get that many national tv games this year, so if they get beat soundly this week, it's not going to look good for the conference. When teams like U of I and MSU destroy a team during conference play, it'll look better if that team was able to beat an ACC team this week.

I'm not saying that you should root for them all the time, but in some situations it makes sense.

Can you honestly say you weren't hoping the Twins would at least look good against the Yanks the last two years? If the Twins do well or even beat a team like the Yankees in the playoffs, it helps the Central Division not look so bad.

I for one have always been one to root for the Big Ten in the challenge or during the tourney or bowl season. It helps reflect better on the quality of our competition and makes us look better versus other conferences. Other than that I really couldn't care what those teams do, but in the Big Ten ACC challenge i would like us to win it once but not with the matchups we have been getting lately.

:violin

What does it say about the Purdue fanbase when a Purdue fan is whining about an Illini fan not rooting for the Big Ten?

Why do I have a feeling that you wouldn't be making a big fuss out of this if your name was "Michiganstate129?"

I just don't care what the other teams in the Big Ten do, and I don't like Purdue because of all my mom's relatives who live in Crown Point can be obnoxious Purdue and Cubs fans. :angry:

:violin

What does it say about the Purdue fanbase when a Purdue fan is whining about an Illini fan not rooting for the Big Ten?

Why do I have a feeling that you wouldn't be making a big fuss out of this if your name was "Michiganstate129?"

I just don't care what the other teams in the Big Ten do, and I don't like Purdue because of all my mom's relatives who live in Crown Point can be obnoxious Purdue and Cubs fans.  :angry:

care to address anything i said in my longer post??

care to address anything i said in my longer post??

I would like for the Illini to be ranked #1, but I'm not going to start fretting so much that I'll root for the other Big Ten teams. Thankfully College Basketball is NOT like College Football because a tournament decides the national championship game. Now if the NCAA decided to use a BCS system to determine whom should play in the championship game, then I would root for every other Big Ten team in their games because I would like the Big Ten to appear to be the toughest division in the country.

Sorry. I just don't give a s*** about Purdue unless they are playing the Illini.

EDIT: I missed the Twins reference.

I rooted against the Twins the past three seasons. People know how weak the AL Central just by noticing that only two teams had winning records. The Twins winning anything in the playoffs does NOTHING for a Sox fan.

I root for teams, not divisions.