*Official* College Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Wilkinson is a very underrated player IMO

Illinois vs Penn St tonight, 8pm. Beat them by 43 last year at home.  Line is at 28.5, wow

And PSU's 3rd leading scorer is in the hospital. They move a frosh into the starting line up. That line is a steal.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
And PSU's 3rd leading scorer is in the hospital.  They move a frosh into the starting line up.  That line is a steal.

Not really. My guess is that the starters don't play much in the 2nd half. Weber wants to get guys more time, including Carter, McBride, and Pruitt. Will we be up by 28.5 at some point? Probably. Garbage time may result in Penn St covering.

greasy, that if Davis gets fired, which will happen if things continue as they have been the rest of the season, Rick Majerus is the odds on favorite to take over, with Kevin Stallings as a possible 2nd option. Lots could change of course, but apparently that is what is being said behind the college basketball scene.

Also, did you see the article on his contract in the Indy Star? If he is fired, he will be owed something like $700k. The potentially unfortunate kink in the picture for him is that he has signing bonuses written into his contract if he is still the head coach each July 1. This year happens to be the largest of those bonuses in the whole contract at $300,000.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)
greasy, that if Davis gets fired, which will happen if things continue as they have been the rest of the season, Rick Majerus is the odds on favorite to take over, with Kevin Stallings as a possible 2nd option.  Lots could change of course, but apparently that is what is being said behind the college basketball scene. 

Also, did you see the article on his contract in the Indy Star?  If he is fired, he will be owed something like $700k.  The potentially unfortunate kink in the picture for him is that he has signing bonuses written into his contract if he is still the head coach each July 1.  This year happens to be the largest of those bonuses in the whole contract at $300,000.

I feel better about that. I like Alford, but I don't understand if he'd do anything better than Davis or not. I know it'd calm some of the IU nation down having an IU guy at the helm. However, what if he didn't do well? That'd just taint what he did at IU as a player. I think Majerus would be solid here.

I did read the Q&A section from yesterday and spotted that little blip. That's the whole thing that scares me about firing Davis. IU's already in the red as it is, and his contract goes through '07-08.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
I feel better about that.  I like Alford, but I don't understand if he'd do anything better than Davis or not.  I know it'd calm some of the IU nation down having an IU guy at the helm.  However, what if he didn't do well?  That'd just taint what he did at IU as a player.  I think Majerus would be solid here. 

I did read the Q&A section from yesterday and spotted that little blip.  That's the whole thing that scares me about firing Davis.  IU's already in the red as it is, and his contract goes through '07-08.

Athletic departments in the red is like national budget. A decade of debt won't kill anyone!

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
So Illinois rains threes on penn st...now we're gonna get POUNDED with tstorms...

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/61820?from=LAPmaps

Damn there looks like there's going to be some nice stuff hitting B-Town in a bit.

I like the random storm over my hometown, Ft. Wayne. :lol:

Its really tough for me to bring myself to watch any NC State games, they are just horrible to watch.

Also, lucky me, I'm stuck with watching Oklahoma State vs Iowa State instead of UNC-Wake Forest tomorrow. Who wants to watch two top 5 teams battle anyways :crying

Here is a nice article on comparing Illinois to UNC.

http://illinois.scout.com/2/341710.html

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
Its really tough for me to bring myself to watch any NC State games, they are just horrible to watch.

Also, lucky me, I'm stuck with watching Oklahoma State vs Iowa State instead of UNC-Wake Forest tomorrow. Who wants to watch two top 5 teams battle anyways :crying

Here is a nice article on comparing Illinois to UNC.

http://illinois.scout.com/2/341710.html

Whew, you scared me for a second, I thought I was gonna get OK St.-Iowa St.

I've watched the last two UNC games, and they are just demolishing people with defense. They stifled Gilchrist and Jack easily. Plus they are deeper than Illinois. Though I do think Sean May is overrated. He's not the dominant inside force I thought he was. He never really takes over inside.

Also, Manuel's name is spelled wrong in your sig.

greasy, I finally ran into one of the fans you speak of that still think Knight can do no wrong. The guy is from Terre Haute (what a lovely town by the way). He kept going on and on about how they never should have fired Knight and how Myles Brand was evil. Kept talking about how great he is doing at Texas Tech and how he'd still have the Hoosiers competing in the tournament every year.

I wanted to puke, but I was standing next to his girlfriend and I don't think she would have appreciated it. :)