*Official* College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Andy Katz on ESPN.com

Here is another similar story.  It seems as if Davis has accepted that the end is near. 

What bugs me though is that in both of these pieces, it points as the main reason people want him out is that because he is not Bob Knight.  I'm sure there is still some of that around, but I really believe that if his team played differently and didn't look lost on offense half the time, that the people of Indiana would embrace him and his teams. 

Believe it or not, a lot of that is still about Knight. There's a couple IU boards I check out on occasion, and the allegiance to Knight still seems to be the biggest reason a lot of these people don't like Davis.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
So to start the speculation, who do you bring in to succeed Davis.  And a really silly question, could it be possible to bring back Knight from TT as he has been pretty quiet down there...

I honestly don't think Knight would consider it. He really left Bloomington with a bitter taste in his mouth.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
I've read the ESPN.com article, and everything about if IU lost to Ball State, Davis would lose his job was complete BS.  Greenspan thought that was ridiculous.  Maybe this is Davis' last year, but Greenspan's smart enough to know to not do anything before the season even ends. 

The freshmen are really playing solid the past few games.  We could get something started in the Big Ten.  We play at Northwestern tonight to start the Big Ten.

I agree. I would be shocked if they did anything in the middle of the season. And they have been playing better. The real test I think to their season will be how they play in the next two games. If they want to have any chance at being a decent team, they have to win games like the one tonight on the road. Then on Saturday, Wisconsin will provide a stiff test, a game which they need to win, but likely won't. I really think they will need to beat either Wisconsin or Michigan St. at home and hold serve against the rest at home to have any chance of winning 10 games in the conference, maybe even 9.

Let me clarify, I am not saying they HAVE to beat Wisconsin Saturday, but they do have to play well. Winning would be a big boost however.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:42 AM)
I honestly don't think Knight would consider it.  He really left Bloomington with a bitter taste in his mouth.

yeah but at the sametime there would be no better way to stick it to the guy who fired him, than to get his old job back. I doubt it will happen, but stranger things have happened too...

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 07:35 AM)
What is everyone's beef with Alford at Iowa?  I know he has had some problems with players, but I really don't know any details.  He seems to be finally turning things in the right direction, but I still hear negative things.  What gives?

Mainly because the team has underachieved a few years. I think most of the hatred over Alford stems from an off the court incident involving Pierre Pierce. It was a women charging him with ape or assault and Pierce was suspended but some stories broke out where Alford tried to get the chargers removed by talking to the girl or something along those lines. I don't remember the full story.

Alford got ripped by many for it though. As a coach the team looks to be finally going up. He's been hampered with injuries and as a result depth issues the past couple years. It was kind of like the team would stay in the games and go to the bench and then get shelled. That or the starters would be out too long and they'd get creamed. I also think a lot of fans are upset because the team with Evans/Recker failed to go as far as it could of. That was a very very good college team and had Recker not had his knee injury who knows what could of happened.

In general Alford can really make it up this year, but I think all Iowa fans are growing tired of not making the tourney. Hopefully it changes this year, but Alford's teams have done well in the past non-conference, I want to see them step it up and play well against the Big 10. First test comes tonight against Michigan.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
I honestly don't think Knight would consider it.  He really left Bloomington with a bitter taste in his mouth.

Ya right, Bobby Knight is never going to coach for IU again. Obviously they would go for Alford, but I don't think Alford takes the gig unless this Iowa team collapses. He finally has something going in Iowa and seems relatively happy there. He also has a nice contract situation and it will get very nice if this team plays like its capable of playing.

Illinois opens up big ten play tonight at home vs Ohio St., 8pm.

How's the weather up in chicago. It has been like 34-36 degrees this whole time, so everything has been rain, which is nice. Glad i came down yesterday, or i'd never make it here today.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)

How's the weather up in chicago. It has been like 34-36 degrees this whole time, so everything has been rain, which is nice. Glad i came down yesterday, or i'd never make it here today.

Snow, snow, snow and more snow. Everythings covered and its about 29 degrees. Snow is supposed to continue through tomorrow morning.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)

Its snowing about an inch an hour, and blowing pretty well right now downtown. Ought to be a fun commute home for anyone driving. :ph34r:

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Its snowing about an inch an hour, and blowing pretty well right now downtown.  Ought to be a fun commute home for anyone driving. :ph34r:

Sounds like what Southern Indiana got for Christmas..... 22.3 inches in a span of about 28 hours.

Supposed to be 73 here in Birmingham today, but so far sticking around 60. I went from 10 below in Evansville at Christmas to 75 degrees in Birmingham less than 10 days later. Weird

IU had some guy on the post with the ball and you hear someone else yell, "HEY WATCH OUT!" It was so loud I heard it on the crowd mic. Doyle of NU swats the ball clean and steals it. Then the insuing breakaway NU has a bad pass, turning it over. IU going the other way with less than 10 seconds left. They throw it away, end of half. That about sums up how ugly this game has been.

A ton of upsets have occured tonight:

Georgetown beatt Pittsburgh

Boston College beat Connecticut

Villanova beat West Virginia

2 others in the making:

South Carolina is up on Kentucky by 6 at the half

Houston is up 8 on Louisville

Some other potential ones include Michigan over Iowa, Vanderbilt over Alabama, and a highly unlikely one, but a matchup of 2 undefeateds nonetheless, Texas A&M vs. Kansas.

Didn't notice ESPN 2 switched to the game. Damn. And I was waiting for this stupid update window to update.

WOLVERINES PULL OFF THE UPSET AT IOWA!!!!!! 65-63!!!!!

Horton's first game back from his knee injury.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Didn't notice ESPN 2 switched to the game. Damn. And I was waiting for this stupid update window to update.

WOLVERINES PULL OFF THE UPSET AT IOWA!!!!!! 65-63!!!!!

Horton's first game back from his knee injury.

Congrats to UM. At least someone did something right tonight. Good god, IU and turnovers tonight. :puke