Randy Johnson Trade Rumors

EvilJester99

How?  Do you really think they can win in the next couple years?  It's the best pitcher in baseball for an old hitter, a good starter, and a very promising reliever.  The first 2 they might not have for more than a couple years.

Penny can possibly be a stud and brazoban was pretty damn good last year. I would not consider green, who is 32 an old hitter. He was not exactly great the last two years for the money he is making which is why i feel they have to be getting money from somone. Say roughly have of his salaray? If that is the case i think this is a good trade. They had no use for johnson, they got something for his at least. They could have been stupid and waited to trade him at the trading dead-line and only get half of what they got now. Or they could have just not traded him at all.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing to lament here: Az wanted a solid major league starter in return, and the best we could offer was Garland. Giving them MB would have been insane

Glad we stayed on the sidelines in this one.

I must say, yet another in a series of bizarre trades for the Dodgers; they made a weird one last summer giving an all-star catcher and a stud set-up man for Penny et al. And now they give up a hitter (salary dump?) and Penny for Vasquez.

If the season started with the team we have right now, we would be competing with the Tigers for 3rd place in the division. It's that simple. Remember how bad we were last year without Frank and Maggs? Well, it will be even worse without Carlos. I expect Dye and Podsednik to be good, but they aren't difference makers like Lee is. Will someone please explain to me why KW wasn't fired after the debacles of the last two years? He's the laughingstock of general managers in baseball.

I must say, yet another in a series of bizarre trades for the Dodgers; they made a weird one last summer giving an all-star catcher and a stud set-up man for Penny et al.  And now they give up a hitter (salary dump?) and Penny for Vasquez.

I'm wondering how the hell Dodgers bullpen will survive this move.

Mota traded last summer because Brozaban was emerging as a suitable replacement. Now that he's traded, who sets up Gagne? Edwin Jackson? Maybe there's another stud pitching prospect I'm unaware of.

Penny can possibly be a stud and brazoban was pretty damn good last year. I would not consider green, who is 32 an old hitter. He was not exactly great the last two years for the money he is making which is why i feel they have to be getting money from somone. Say roughly have of his salaray? If that is the case i think this is a good trade. They had no use for johnson, they got something for his at least. They could have been stupid and waited to trade him at the trading dead-line and only get half of what they got now. Or they could have just not traded him at all.

Yeah, I guess once you've dedicated your 110+ loss team to not rebuilding, might as well go full throttle. I like all 3 players, but I still can't believe they aren't interested in any younger players. But I guess once you've signed Clayton AND Counsell as starters, you may as well start printing those WS tickets.

Given their direction, okay, I get it. But I still think this is one magnificently stupid offseason for the Diamondbacks, taken as a whole.

RJ wanted to be a Yankee and now he is a Yankee. The rich keep getting richer. In my opinion, Arizona asked for way too much. Not making the trade may have been the smartest thing KW has done. As for Atlanta, they flat out stole Hudson from Oakland. I agree that Beane wanted him in the NL. If we sit on some of this money, maybe we get lucky and snag Sheets from Milwaukee next June/July. Sheets is the best of the bunch. Better to spend 40mil over four years for Sheets than to overpay for Clement or Perez. :D

How?  Do you really think they can win in the next couple years?  It's the best pitcher in baseball for an old hitter, a good starter, and a very promising reliever.  The first 2 they might not have for more than a couple years.

Don't bet against the Diamondbacks winning more games next year than the Dodgers....... I'm not predicting it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Yeah, I guess once you've dedicated your 110+ loss team to not rebuilding, might as well go full throttle.  I like all 3 players, but I still can't believe they aren't interested in any younger players.  But I guess once you've signed Clayton AND Counsell as starters, you may as well start printing those WS tickets.

Given their direction, okay, I get it.  But I still think this is one magnificently stupid offseason for the Diamondbacks, taken as a whole.

Troy glaus and russ ortiz is even funnier than counsell and clayton to me.

RJ wanted to be a Yankee and now he is a Yankee. The rich keep getting richer.  In my opinion, Arizona asked for way too much. Not making the trade may have been the smartest thing KW has done.  As for Atlanta, they flat out stole Hudson from Oakland. I agree that Beane wanted him in the NL.  If we sit on some of this money, maybe we get lucky and snag Sheets from Milwaukee next June/July.  Sheets is the best of the bunch.  Better to spend 40mil over four years for Sheets than to overpay for Clement or Perez. :D

Welcome to soxtalk. :cheers

Expect sheets to get locked up this off-season or sometime this upcoming season.

If the season started with the team we have right now, we would be competing with the Tigers for 3rd place in the division.  It's that simple.  Remember how bad we were last year without Frank and Maggs?  Well, it will be even worse without Carlos.  I expect Dye and Podsednik to be good, but they aren't difference makers like Lee is.  Will someone please explain to me why KW wasn't fired after the debacles of the last two years?  He's the laughingstock of general managers in baseball.

How so?

We still have the second best rotation in the division, and we now have the best bullpen in the division. Our offense is weaker, but the addition of Pierzinski makes the lineup a lot more dangerous, pushing everyone down in the order.

Kenny isn't done yet...

If we sit on some of this money, maybe we get lucky and snag Sheets from Milwaukee next June/July.  Sheets is the best of the bunch.  Better to spend 40mil over four years for Sheets than to overpay for Clement or Perez. :D

I will not accept this organization sitting on money. I have no influence on their decisions, and the most I could do is pout like a b****, but there are far too many areas of our team which 6 million could benefit.

Williams doesn't trade Carlos Lee for Podsednik/Vizcaino to hold up money for NEXT July. About acquiring Sheets: How if we're not in contention, or Brewers are? You can't reassure yourself of anything which may occur seven months from now.

How so?

We still have the second best rotation in the division, and we now have the best bullpen in the division.  Our offense is weaker, but the addition of Pierzinski makes the lineup a lot more dangerous, pushing everyone down in the order.

Kenny isn't done yet...

First, I don't think we'll add A.J. Pierz. Rather, the Dodgers will sign him now they have a lot of money to spend. I couldn't disagree more with you that we have the best bullpen in the division. The Twins bullpen is still a hell of a lot better than the Sox. They have a better closer (Nathan), better set-up men (Romero and Rincon) and better long relievers (Crain and Balfour). Let's not forget the young guys that Cleveland has in their lineup that will only get better. Adding A. Boone will help their team, and there's no way their bullpen is as bad as it was at the beginning of the season last year.

Again, this is how I feel if things stay the way they are right now. If KW can get another starting pitcher, my confidence in this team will grow.

Man, I know I'm overreacting, but I don't think I've ever been so disapointed to be a White Sox fan.... I really didn't expect KW to land RJ, but now it looks like Clement isn't coming here, and I just think the loser in the bidding war for him will sign Perez (looks like Angels now). What can KW really do now? I hope he pulls something out of his ass, I would be pissed if this was the team come opening day (even if they add Pryz)

Troy glaus and russ ortiz is even funnier than counsell and clayton to me.

Ortiz was definitely their worst move, Glaus was probably foolish, but it makes some sense. When he's on his feet he's a great hitter.

I just don't get this philosophy. Take away RJ, add Penny and Ortiz. If you gained anything, it isn't much. Brazobahn is good, he'll help the bullpen. Take away Sexson, add Glaus and Green. Okay, that's definitely an upgrade. But overall, does it make you a contender? Not even close.

It just seems to me like any team signing Counsell and Clayton as regulars might be able to convince itself that its flaws are deeper than this, that it needs an overhaul. Or not...

I will not accept this organization sitting on money.  I have no influence on their decisions, and the most I could do is pout like a b****, but there are far too many areas of our team which 6 million could benefit.

Williams doesn't trade Carlos Lee for Podsednik/Vizcaino to hold up money for NEXT July.  About acquiring Sheets: How if we're not in contention, or Brewers are?  You can't reassure yourself of anything which may occur seven months from now.

Would you be singing the same song if the Sox are tied with the Twins on July 30 and don't have any money left to go get someone else?

I'm not much one for quoting Billy Beane, but his belief has always been take a team to spring training that has a chance to win, evaluate your club over the first four months of the season and then go get what you need to give them a boost to finish strong.

Granted they haven't advanced in the playoffs, but I'd take their performance the past 3-4 years over the Sox.

I'm not much one for quoting Billy Beane, but his belief has always been take a team to spring training that has a chance to win, evaluate your club over the first four months of the season and then go get what you need to give them a boost to finish strong. 

Granted they haven't advanced in the playoffs, but I'd take their performance the past 3-4 years over the Sox.

Yeah, but Beane also had 3 starters that he could count on to keep him in each game that they played. We have two, and even they aren't exactly dominating pitchers on a consistent basis.

If this trade is completed...

Good news: The Sox haven't grossly overpayed for Johnson

Bad news: The Sox miss out on the biggest player to have ever ok'ed a trip to the South side. The Sox still don't have an answer to the f***ING rotation problem. The Sox will sketch Jason Grilli in as a number five in April.