Randy Johnson Trade Rumors

EvilJester99

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Could the media really be this far behind in the sense that this deal was done for Beltre?  I mean he signed a while ago.  Unless the Dodgers plan on getting a hold of him before he signs the dotted line, lol.

With a story like this I could see it happening... ESPN goes off of one legitimate paper source and it just swirls. I just think losing Beltre, Green, Penny all in one day would be a huge blow by just getting Vazquez and 2 minor leaguers. I think the Dodgers would have to guarntee they're signing Beltran, Delgado or a bat of that ilk...

Could the media really be this far behind in the sense that this deal was done for Beltre?  I mean he signed a while ago.  Unless the Dodgers plan on getting a hold of him before he signs the dotted line, lol.

I was thinking maybe this was a purposeful leak from the Yankee organization to pressure Dodgers into accepting the deal.

The recent revelation Dodgers may hold off discussions (due to Beltre's availability) may have irritated Steinbrenner. Perhaps Yankees (and most importantly Arizona) felt this deal is the best for their clubs and weren't looking forward to the Dodgers backing out.

/prepares for tin-foil reference

The deal is horrible for the Dodgers. I don't care how good Navarro is or however you spell his name.

They save some money this year but in the long haul it costs them money. Green and Penny is at most 21 mill and they are acquiring 30 some old mill in Vazquez.

Plus I wouldn't deal Penny straight up for Vazquez unless the Dodgers think his arm is going to fall off.

Then they give up Green as well, which isn't all that bad, but Brazoban, gimme a break.

They must be jumping into the JD Drew, Carlos Beltran or Carlos Delgado sweepstakes after this. Plus they still need pitching.

Plus I wouldn't deal Penny straight up for Vazquez unless the Dodgers think his arm is going to fall off.

You may have hit the nail on the head with that one -- remember this quote?

"In 41 years of examining thousands of pitchers, Dr. Frank Jobe has never come across an injury like Brad Penny's.

Consequently, no one can be certain when Penny will pitch again. "If the bruise is on the outside of the nerve, it could take three to four weeks to recover," Jobe said. "If the bruise is on the inside, it could be a matter of months. But either way, he needs rest and must stretch out the arm with exercise. Not only have I never seen something like this, but it is so rare that there isn't even any [research] literature on it."" - 9/29/04

Actually, Penny's arm might just be falling off. If I remember correctly, he's had some arm troubles and had a pretty bad shoulder injury shortly after the Dodgers made the trade for him.

Still, the whole trade definitely makes little sense on the Dodgers end. Consider that they traded Mota and Loduca to get Penny and that Brazoban was/is supposed to be Mota's replacement as the set-up man to Gagne...this would be sacrificing too much for Vasquez and prospects.

Historically, the Dodgers aren't the team to be making cap space moves either.

It could be like when they dealt Brown and his doctors guaranteed that his body would not hold up for an entire season.

Ya, from what I heard they thought he could recover but it was like unchartered waters medically, which probably made them nevrvous. But they could of always non-tendered him or taken the chance on him and just found another place for Green and signed a starter, imo. Then they'd of kept Brazo.

The good news is if Niavarro goes, then it means the Dodgers wouldn't likely offer Pyrz more then a one year deal. If that, cause they may just plan on starting him, although I find it unlikely that he's ready for the majors yet, at least not defensively.

Actually, Penny's arm might just be falling off.  If I remember correctly, he's had some arm troubles and had a pretty bad shoulder injury shortly after the Dodgers made the trade for him.

Still, the whole trade definitely makes little sense on the Dodgers end.  Consider that they traded Mota and Loduca to get Penny and that Brazoban was/is supposed to be Mota's replacement as the set-up man to Gagne...this would be sacrificing too much for Vasquez and prospects.

Historically, the Dodgers aren't the team to be making cap space moves either.

Nothing makes sense about this deal so why do all the so-called pundits keep saying it makes sense.

Meanwhile I have to be in court in eight hours so I'm going to bed. Somebody call me if we sign Clement in the middle of the night. :sleep

Nothing makes sense about this deal so why do all the so-called pundits keep saying it makes sense.

Meanwhile I have to be in court in eight hours so I'm going to bed.  Somebody call me if we sign Clement in the middle of the night. :sleep

If only your law firm knew what you do at this time of night. :D

Looks like we still might have a chance to get into this thing and get Vazquez.

ESPN's Peter Gammons believes that the Dodgers may drop out of the three-team deal sending Randy Johnson to the Yankees .

Even if they don't, Shawn Green's desire for a contract extension in exchange for waiving his no-trade clause might wreck things. The Yankees may have to find another third team to send talent to Arizona. They likely will end up with Johnson, though. Dec. 17 - 4:31 pm et

Only thing is, they'd probably want Konerko, Garland and Anderson.

Looks like we still might have a chance to get into this thing and get Vazquez.

Only thing is, they'd probably want Konerko, Garland and Anderson.

If we match the dodgers...could we offer up Everett, Garland and Marte?

Everett

Garland = Penny

Marte >> Brazoban

:huh:

Brad Penny:

G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV ERA

134 133 2 2 793.1 776 389 355 79 265 576 49 44 0 0 -- 4.03

Jon Garland:

G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV ERA

149 127 2 1 788.0 804 451 410 111 328 436 46 51 1 3 0 4.68

Neither one is outstanding...if you put Penny in the AL or Garland in the NL, their numbers would be even closer.