WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

I was just explaining for qwerty.

Besides, weren't we promised that we would be signing a top of the rotation guy? We weren't going to just settle for a 5th starter?

Where's that money for Lee going?

I'm pissed. This offseason started off well enough with Dye and Hermanson. But KW has done nothing but screw up since then. Oh, he saved us 400,000 on Davis, but that's just more money for Reinsdorf to leave his grandchildren in his will.

Starting the year with a payroll under 70 mil when the Cubs will likely be over 100 mil, is bulls***. Pay Perez. Grab Varitek out from under Theo's nose.

We should be at 75 easy. More likely 80 mil. No reason for this cheap crap.

God f***ing damnit.

Everybody complained that we needed a good starter. So KW trades for Garcia and everybody whines like somebody shat in their corn flakes that we had to give up a catcher who couldn't hit RHP and had trouble calling games. Now we're signing a 5th starter and the Chicken Littles have come out again in force yelling about how we need $80 million payrolls and how Orlando is terrible yadda yadda. It seems like KW can do nothing right for some people.

And ISF, we get the idea. Reinsdorf is cheap. We know. But baseball is a business. It's not necessarily about putting the best team that money can buy on the field but rather about making money for the owners. And if you want an $80 mil payroll, might I suggest you try to buy the team?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God f***ing damnit.

Everybody complained that we needed a good starter.  So KW trades for Garcia and everybody whines like somebody shat in their corn flakes that we had to give up a catcher who couldn't hit RHP and had trouble calling games.  Now we're signing a 5th starter and the Chicken Littles have come out again in force yelling about how we need $80 million payrolls and how Orlando is terrible yadda yadda.  It seems like KW can do nothing right for some people.

And ISF, we get the idea. Reinsdorf is cheap.  We know.  But baseball is a business.  It's not necessarily about putting the best team that money can buy on the field but rather about making money for the owners.  And if you want an $80 mil payroll, might I suggest you try to buy the team?

you need to post more in the clubhouse apu. B)

I'm definitely with you on that bet, Juggernaut.

There is no way the CWS will use El Duque as a 5th starter at a price tag that is double that of Garland. It's just not going to happen. The same thing with Contreras. His price makes him a lock for the #3. As many of you said, the CWS will probably hold a press conference with this signing. There's no way a guy that popular is going to be your 5th starter.

His numbers are just far too good for a 5th starter:

02-04: 3.61 era, 16W, 7L, 37GS, 224.2 IP OPS vs (RH 700, LH 643)

This guy is like the Nomar equivalent for a pitcher. When he plays his level of play is all-star caliber but he only avg's 3-4 months playing time a year.

God f***ing damnit.

Everybody complained that we needed a good starter.  So KW trades for Garcia and everybody whines like somebody shat in their corn flakes that we had to give up a catcher who couldn't hit RHP and had trouble calling games.  Now we're signing a 5th starter and the Chicken Littles have come out again in force yelling about how we need $80 million payrolls and how Orlando is terrible yadda yadda.  It seems like KW can do nothing right for some people.

And ISF, we get the idea. Reinsdorf is cheap.  We know.  But baseball is a business.  It's not necessarily about putting the best team that money can buy on the field but rather about making money for the owners.  And if you want an $80 mil payroll, might I suggest you try to buy the team?

Shat is a fun word to say.

....shat..... :D

I was just explaining for qwerty.

Besides, weren't we promised that we would be signing a top of the rotation guy? We weren't going to just settle for a 5th starter?

Where's that money for Lee going?

I'm pissed. This offseason started off well enough with Dye and Hermanson. But KW has done nothing but screw up since then. Oh, he saved us 400,000 on Davis, but that's just more money for Reinsdorf to leave his grandchildren in his will.

Starting the year with a payroll under 70 mil when the Cubs will likely be over 100 mil, is bulls***. Pay Perez. Grab Varitek out from under Theo's nose.

We should be at 75 easy. More likely 80 mil. No reason for this cheap crap.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about the game. This roster, if completed with this signing and possibly another IF'er is drastically improved over last years. We are going a new direction, with more pitching, a solid bull pen, and some actual speed and left handed bats. You couldnt find a better defensive outfield, as well as faster outfield than we have now. We have an actual lead off hitter..a proven rotation all the way to the bottom from the beginning of the season, and actual arms in the bullpen. The bullpen was one of their real weaknesses last year, and now we have drastically improved it.

Spoken like someone who knows nothing about the game.  This roster, if completed with this signing and possibly another IF'er is drastically improved over last years.  We are going a new direction, with more pitching, a solid bull pen, and some actual speed and left handed bats.  You couldnt find a better defensive outfield, as well as faster outfield than we have now.  We have an actual lead off hitter..a proven rotation all the way to the bottom from the beginning of the season, and actual arms in the bullpen.  The bullpen was one of their real weaknesses last year, and now we have drastically improved it.

:notworthy :notworthy

On Jan. 15, Hernandez was moved from the Yankees to the White Sox as part of the three-team trade that netted the White Sox Bartolo Colon. Hernandez, along with pitcher Rocky Biddle and infielder/outfielder Jeff Liefer, was then shipped to Montreal in exchange for the burly 20-game winner.

I forgot about this. So, in a way, El Duque is a former White Sox. :P

God f***ing damnit.

Amen

God f***ing damnit.

As much as I look forward to reading your posts, I hardly ever get to say this.

I agree 100%.

God f***ing damnit.

I salute you. :notworthy

I have updated the title of this thread to reflect the following from Whitesox.com:

The Miami Herald reported on Wednesday that Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez has agreed to a two-year, $8 million deal to join the South Siders, pending a physical. Hernandez already has been a part of the White Sox organization, if only for a period of a couple of hours

This is off-topic but don't you think some people posting in this thread have way too long sigs? Plus lowercaserepublican what are you talking about in your thread? There is no hope for America's future. Everyone has embraced capitalism. Commies, dictators, & democracies. Capitalism is now the de-facto un-abridged & un-curtailed standard of business in the world. How many profits will the Iraq war generate for capitalists? It's no longer bound by unions, govts, or any other good-willed christian ideologies. You can't help but be reminded of Lennon's words "imagine there is no religion". In terms of business you won't have to imagine it. There will no longer be any notion of ethics, morality, christiandom, or charity. No home-town discounts. It's sort of like MLB. Soon to be driven such that price is determined almost entirely by supply & demand. Seek the lowest cost possible to produce the supply in order to maximize profits from the demand. There is no hope. Not for the CWS or for America :D

I'm not as bugged by wordy sigs as I am by enormagantic pictures in sigs.

Scrolling is NOT fun, people!!!!!!

and back on topic, I personally would rather have Dookie at his price tag than Odalis, Lowe or Milton at what they're probably going to end up costing, or Clement at what he got.

This is off-topic but don't you think some people posting in this thread have way too long sigs?  Plus lowercaserepublican what are you talking about in your thread?  There is no hope for America's future.  Everyone has embraced capitalism.  Commies, dictators, & democracies.  Capitalism is now the de-facto un-abridged & un-curtailed standard of business in the world.  How many profits will the Iraq war generate for capitalists? It's no longer bound by unions, govts, or any other good-willed christian ideologies.  You can't help but be reminded of Lennon's words "imagine there is no religion".  In terms of business you won't have to imagine it.  There will no longer be any notion of ethics, morality, christiandom, or charity.  No home-town discounts.  It's sort of like MLB.  Soon to be driven such that price is determined almost entirely by supply & demand.  Seek the lowest cost possible to produce the supply in order to maximize profits from the demand.  There is no hope.  Not for the CWS or for America :D

Um...ok.

This is off-topic but don't you think some people posting in this thread have way too long sigs?  Plus lowercaserepublican what are you talking about in your thread?  There is no hope for America's future.  Everyone has embraced capitalism.  Commies, dictators, & democracies.  Capitalism is now the de-facto un-abridged & un-curtailed standard of business in the world.  How many profits will the Iraq war generate for capitalists? It's no longer bound by unions, govts, or any other good-willed christian ideologies.  You can't help but be reminded of Lennon's words "imagine there is no religion".  In terms of business you won't have to imagine it.  There will no longer be any notion of ethics, morality, christiandom, or charity.  No home-town discounts.  It's sort of like MLB.  Soon to be driven such that price is determined almost entirely by supply & demand.  Seek the lowest cost possible to produce the supply in order to maximize profits from the demand.  There is no hope.  Not for the CWS or for America :D

Here we go.... :jerry

Who said what to who??? :lol: