WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

Cheapness is the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at this signing.

Excuse me while I puke my guts out.  :puke

Well, "stupidity" is the first word that comes to mind when I think about signing Clement at $8 mill a year and Perez at $7 mill. I'm fine with "cheap" in this case.

Here's to cheap! :cheers

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but does anyone else see the 2 years as a bit odd? We have BMac who at the very latest should be pitching this September setting up to fight for the rotation in 06. If KW really thought BMac was worth leaving a spot for he would have or still will. Am I right in saying that all of our pitchers are signed through the next 2 years?

Can never ever have too much pitching...ever. I'm fine with this signing because it's better than the roulette-wheel.jpg

I never go to other teams message boards but I was curious what the twins fans are thinkin right now about the sox. Some think twins are in trouble some don't. They seem to hate that Spod is with the sox because he was "a thorn on their behind" as they said it in interleague play.

They also think that Santana, Radke, Silva, Lohse, Mays is way better than our current rotation. Wether they have a great team or not the sox need to bust ass because they are the defending division champions.

I totally forgot about Mays who can dominate us when he's on point. I am anxious to see how the two teams fair against each other because both have some changes in 05.

Santana, Radke, Silva, Lohse, Mays vs Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, Garland, El Duque

The edge goes to the Twins because of Santana & Radke. That's the closest the AL has come to Johnson + Shilling even if it was one year. Santana is like facing Jason from Friday 13th. Unstoppable killing machine that can just cut you up. Radke is like Krueger from Nightmare on Elm Street. Out think you into killing yourself.

There's 35 win potentional between them alone. Ouch!

The lineups are probably even but I give the CWS the edge w a healthy hearty Thomas.

I think the CWS has closed the gap between the two teams in the BP with Luis & Hermie. I think the CWS could have one of the very best bullpens in the AL.

So if the cards fall right in the health department I think the CWS should overtake the Twins. The rotation is good enough now to where they should be competitive in just about every game. That's the first time we can say that in 4 yrs.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but does anyone else see the 2 years as a bit odd? We have BMac who at the very latest should be pitching this September setting up to fight for the rotation in 06. If KW really thought BMac was worth leaving a spot for he would have or still will. Am I right in saying that all of our pitchers are signed through the next 2 years?

Except Garland. Maybe KW has a quick exit in mind for Jon. Or more likely, he figures McCarthy is no sure thing yet; if he comes on like gangbusters, he could probably move JG or El Duque (maybe he'd have to include some money, but it could be done). If he needs more time, then he's got his staff in place. Which sounds reasonable.

I'd rather have Hernandez on a 1-yr contract anyway, but not b/c of McCarthy. If and when he's ready, they'll make him a spot.

There's 35 win potentional between them alone. Ouch! 

The lineups are probably even but I give the CWS the edge w a healthy hearty Thomas.

I think the CWS has closed the gap between the two teams in the BP with Luis & Hermie.  I think the CWS could have one of the very best bullpens in the AL.

So if the cards fall right in the health department I think the CWS should overtake the Twins.  The rotation is good enough now to where they should be competitive in just about every game.  That's the first time we can say that in 4 yrs.

Santana and Radke can get 35 wins Buehrle and Garcia could also put up a big number (31,32). Our bullpen is seriously awesome this year. With Hermanson and Vizcaino we have 4 very solid guys to finish up games. Marte, Takatsu, Hermanson, Vizcaino. Politte is pretty good at times too.

El duque has done a decent job against central teams.

By Opponent ERA W L G GS IP H R ER HR BB SO AVG

vs. CLE 2.08 1 0 2 2 13 8 3 3 0 6 9 .174

vs. DET 4.50 2 0 2 2 12 13 6 6 1 3 13 .271

vs. KAN 5.14 0 0 1 1 7 10 5 4 2 1 2 .345

vs. MIN 7.11 0 0 1 1 6 7 5 5 0 3 6 .304

Unfortunately not to good against the twinkies.

from the twins MLB board

"After garcia and buehrle, you guys are counting on health and streaky journeymen. I'll take Santana, Radke, Silva, Lohse, and Mays, thanks."

"They signed el duque, pending a physical, to a 2 year 8 million dollar deal, 12 mil with incentives. Their rotation is now garcia-buerhle-el duque-conteras-garland. One of the best rotation in the MLB in my opinion, until the yanks figure out a way to get RJ."

"On paper, I gotta admit those names look good."

"Jon Garland hardly has established himself as a good Major league pitcher. As it stands now do not surprised if the S***Sox finish ahead o fthe Twinkies. It is not looking too good for the local club. It pains me to say that the SLUM Sox very well coould overtake the Twinkies. As a matter of fact it makes me naseous."

"The big IF for the Twins will be JC Romero. IF he can return to form. The Twins Balfour/Rincon/Romero/Crain/Nathan is every bit as good as the Sox, if not better.

Unfortunately, Romero is a headcase who is also the only viable lefty the Twins have. Expecting a guy whom management lost all confidence in the final month of the season to return to form (whatever that may be; 2002 is looking more like an aberration) is asking an awful lot.

Comparing the 2 pens, No one in the AL Central can match the Twins for power pitching out of the bullpen.

And no one can match the Frisbees that Takatsu throws for Chicago."

El Duque joins White Sox with two-year deal

Chicago White Sox

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a two-year, $8-million contract plus incentives with right-handed pitcher Orlando Hernandez. Under terms of the contract, Hernandez will receive $3.5 million in 2005 and $4.5 million in 2006.

Hernandez, 35, went 8-2 with a 3.30 ERA (31 ER/84.2 IP) and 84 strikeouts in 15 starts in 2004 with the New York Yankees. The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder began the season on the disabled list after missing the entire 2003 campaign following surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff.

"Orlando is a great addition to our starting rotation," said Ken Williams, White Sox general manager. "He is a proven winner with a history of pitching well in big games, especially when you look at his postseason record. With Hernandez, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia and Jon Garland in the rotation, we believe we have five quality starters who can match up with any team in the league."

Hernandez, a former member of the Cuban National Team, limited opponents to a .230 (73-for-317) average, including a .194 (25-for-129) mark by right-handers, and averaged 8.9 strikeouts per 9.0 IP. He began the 2004 season with eight consecutive victories, the first Yankee pitcher to accomplish that feat since Bob Wickman also started 8-0 in 1993.

Hernandez, who signed with the Yankees on March 20, 1998, has gone 61-40 with a 3.96 ERA (386 ER/876.1 IP), 704 strikeouts and one save in 139 games (136 starts) over six Major League seasons, all with New York.

He also has pitched in 17 postseason games (14 starts), going 9-3 with a 2.65 ERA (30 ER/102.0 IP) and 101 strikeouts. Hernandez is the only pitcher in Major League history to win his first eight postseason decisions. His nine career playoff victories rank third all-time among Yankee pitchers, trailing only Andy Pettitte (13) and Whitey Ford (10), while his 2.65 (30 ER/102.0 IP) ERA is seventh-best among all pitchers since 1990 (minimum 40.0 IP).

Hernandez was included in a seven-player trade involving the White Sox, Yankees and Montreal Expos on January 15, 2003 in which he was acquired by Chicago and later sent to Montreal, along with three players, for right-handed pitcher Bartolo Colon and infielder Jorge Nunez.

I am thinking a lot of the breaking news will start coming from the Snore...in their updates I noticed they were saying the "Comcast updates" well isn't that the station the Sox and others went too next year?? IIRC

Yeah the sox will be playing alot of games on Comcast. The score will probably have all the news first.

from the twins MLB board

"After garcia and buehrle, you guys are counting on health and streaky journeymen. I'll take Santana, Radke, Silva, Lohse, and Mays, thanks."

"They signed el duque, pending a physical, to a 2 year 8 million dollar deal, 12 mil with incentives. Their rotation is now garcia-buerhle-el duque-conteras-garland. One of the best rotation in the MLB in my opinion, until the yanks figure out a way to get RJ."

"On paper, I gotta admit those names look good."

"Jon Garland hardly has established himself as a good Major league pitcher. As it stands now do not surprised if the S***Sox finish ahead o fthe Twinkies. It is not looking too good for the local club. It pains me to say that the SLUM Sox very well coould overtake the Twinkies. As a matter of fact it makes me naseous."

"The big IF for the Twins will be JC Romero. IF he can return to form. The Twins Balfour/Rincon/Romero/Crain/Nathan is every bit as good as the Sox, if not better.

Unfortunately, Romero is a headcase who is also the only viable lefty the Twins have. Expecting a guy whom management lost all confidence in the final month of the season to return to form (whatever that may be; 2002 is looking more like an aberration) is asking an awful lot.

Comparing the 2 pens, No one in the AL Central can match the Twins for power pitching out of the bullpen.

And no one can match the Frisbees that Takatsu throws for Chicago."

If i'm a Twins fan the last team in the world i'm scared of is the White Sox.

That is true because ESPN 1000 said something about once the sun goes down they have to power down due to FCC regulations or some BS like that... so many people to the west don't get ESPN 1000 anyway...

Theres also a problem between Mariotti and JR, so that would conflict the station lots.

I don't know what you all are talking about with the AM 1000 bad reception.

I live in Louisville, KY and I can get the games loud and clear at night during most of the summer.

I can't understand how parts of Chicago can't get the game, but when I am 5 hrs away, I can drive around and listen to it.

I don't know what you all are talking about with the AM 1000 bad reception.

I live in Louisville, KY and I can get the games loud and clear at night during most of the summer.

I can't understand how parts of Chicago can't get the game, but when I am 5 hrs away, I can drive around and listen to it.

I have never had a problem at home. I even listen to it going through Indiana.