WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Sox ever gonna have a press conference for all these guys?

Like a big one for Pods, Hermanson, Dye, Vizcaino, and El Duque?

I'm sure they would for Duque. He's a little big of a bigger name than the other guys.

This impending addition gives the White Sox five solid starters: Contreras, Hernandez, Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Jon Garland. The White Sox will continue to attempt an upgrade in the middle infield, with non-tendered free agents David Eckstein and Alex Cora on the radar.

Eckstein was a favorite of manager Ozzie Guillen's last season because of his grittiness and the manner in which he set up the offense at the top of the order. The diminutive shortstop made just six errors in the field during the 2004 season.

Man, how I wish this will materialize!

1) Bring in Eckstein

2) Trade Garland along w/ couple prospects for Vazquez

3) Bring in AJ Pierzynski (I know KW said AJ will not fit well with the Sox, but...)

In any event, KW has done well this offseason, IMHO.

Yasny, are you kidding me, why even try? :lol:  :lol:

Who cares if ANTHRAX and some newb think your wrong, the guy has 1000 post's of complete bulls***, and your going to argue with him???

;)

Thank you. You have helped pull me back from lowering myself to a point that I'd be embarrassed to admit that I lowered myself to. :cheers

Yasny, are you kidding me, why even try? :lol:  :lol:

Who cares if ANTHRAX and some newb think your wrong, the guy has 1000 post's of complete bulls***, and your going to argue with him???

;)

Newbie or not, I can recognize a hilarious comparison when I see one. Any halfway objective baseball fan can see that Jon Garland is a loser.

If for whatever reason El Duque doesn't work out the CWS can always trade him.

He's never been a total melt-down to where he hasn't had good trade value.

IMHO this is a no-brainer move & I'm glad KW got it done before any one else had

time to think about it.

As for Garland I still think he'll be in an ARZ uniform next year. If you look at the LAD-NYY-ARZ trade after NYY signs Beltran a big bat is no longer needed from a 3rd team. With 4 OF's in Matsui, Sheffield, Williams, & Beltran NY can pkg 1 of them (probably Shef or Matsui) in the trade for RJ. Now all that is needed is for a 3rd team to supply the arms that ARZ wants & that's where the CWS could resurface.

CWS <- Matsui + Vazquez + cash from NY

ARZ <- Matsui + Garland + Grili + prospect from CWS, prospect from NYY

NYY <- RJ from ARZ

ARZ gets the star OFer, 2 arms that should make their starting rotation, & 2 prospects.

NYY gets the Big Unit

CWS get Vazquez & cash.

Newbie or not, I can recognize a hilarious comparison when I see one.  Any halfway objective baseball fan can see that Jon Garland is a loser.

Look. I'm asking you to seriously look at the stats for those guys compared to Garland at that point in their careers. It does take some guys time to learn how to be a good major league pitcher. Hell, it took Sandy Koufax years to acheive it. And no ... I'm not saying Garland is a Koufax. I'm just using him as a blatant example of what I'm talking about. For that matter, the other three were mentioned with the same thing in mind.

Some hitters take longer to develop than others, and some pitchers are the same way. Garland may never be anything close to Curt Schilling, but at his age, it's damn sure too early to write the guy off.

Newbie or not, I can recognize a hilarious comparison when I see one.  Any halfway objective baseball fan can see that Jon Garland is a loser.

He is 24/25 years old. Compare him to every other 24 year old and see where he rates.

Anyone that thinks he sucks has not watched him pitch.

When is winning 12 games a year and not missing a start EVER a bad thing. He is as solid a number three as there is there is no debatting that. Look at every single stat of #3 pitchers and see what they have done.

Crap! Crap! Crap! When I read this in the chicago press it was rumored as a 4/2.

But the Herald is reporting an 8/2 + incentives = 12/2. Horrible! I'm glad it's still El Duque & even with that contract the SOX will be free most of the time to trade him for quality in return but c'mon! That's a lot of money for a guy who's avg'd less than 146 ip the past 4 yrs!

KW bend off so I can kick you in your big fat arse!

With an upgraded IF, maybe Jonny won't be afraid to throw his nasty stuff over the plate. That'll cut down on the walks and he could be a 15 game winner for this club. It's not easy to find a 24 year old, cheap, durable pitcher...go ask the Reds.

He is 24/25 years old.  Compare him to every other 24 year old and see where he rates.

Anyone that thinks he sucks has not watched him pitch.

When is winning 12 games a year and not missing a start EVER a bad thing.  He is as solid a number three as there is there is no debatting that.  Look at every single stat of #3 pitchers and see what they have done.

Pitching in the major leagues these days is horrible overall. There are too many teams, so pitchers that shouldn't be allowed to even buy replica jerseys are actually being paid to wear real ones.

So, comparing Jon to your average #3 starter might not be a bad argument. However, since I expect the Sox to be better than just "average", I'd rather compare him to the #3s of teams that actually win. Much different story.

I've seen Jon pitch many games, but his numbers really tell me all I need to know. He was a #4 last year (and I think every year before that), and had his first winning record ever (1 game over .500). He was facing other teams' #4 starters most of the time..and he still was just a .500 pitcher. That's sad.

And unlike most 24 year old pitchers, he's got 5 years experience under his belt. So comparing 1st or 2nd year pitchers to a 5 year veteran isn't a fair comparison.

Interesting that this article makes you think that the base of the contract is 4 mill a year and he can earn as much as 6 mill a year.

If thats the case I don't like this deal one bit. If its 2 mill base with being able to make as much as 4 fine, otherwise I think the Sox may be handcuffing themselves, especially since he's so prone to injuries.

Geeze, right when I was thinking I liked this deal. In fact I really like it at 2 mill base with 4 mill possible.