WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the Sox do sign El Duque and then sign, say, Alex Cora, would this be a successful offseason by KW?  I think it would at least be better than his past few.

I think it will be a successful offseason now we are filling our rotation and getting another infield help. We changed a lot on our team and I like all the changes.

So if the Sox do sign El Duque and then sign, say, Alex Cora, would this be a successful offseason by KW?  I think it would at least be better than his past few.

Starting pitcher, infield depth and hopefully an upgrade at catcher. I'd be satisfied ... for now.

It would be a good offseason, not great... I would just be thrilled that there's 5 starting pitchers in place...

sorry if this has been asked on the board... but didn't El Duque's arm basically fall off last year? I know he pitched in the playoffs, but what was the injury situation?

El Duque for 4/2 is not bad. The guy is a proven winner regardless of the team he plays for. 15 GS, 8W, 2L 3.30 era vs ALE.

2004 OBP SLG vs

Batting #1 .378 .644

Batting #2 .349 .359

Batting #3 .372 .543

Batting #4 .341 .257

Batting #5 .425 .559

Batting #6 .263 .143

Batting #7 .237 .200

Batting #8 .278 .281

Batting #9 .171 .206

2002-4 OBP SLG vs

Batting #1 .331 .407

Batting #2 .328 .413

Batting #3 .397 .505

Batting #4 .300 .351

Batting #5 .375 .522

Batting #6 .228 .389

Batting #7 .178 .155

Batting #8 .299 .396

Batting #9 .226 .218

Better than most. Plus there's the added well-known fact that if the NYY get

in trouble w their SP they always come a running to El Duque. Doesn't matter

what team he's playing for at the time.

Eckstein would be a better, but tougher pickup. I could just see a team giving him a starting job at short.

Eckstein won't care if he's playing second or short as long as he's starting. In fact, I doubt he has any preference to it. He'll go to the team that tells him he'll start and one that he most wants to play for. I don't even think it would come down to money for him.

Plus he doesn't even spend his money, he gives it to the rest of his family because his mom, dad and I think sister all have this rare disease.

When did Lowe become a top of the rotation guy?  Look at the past two years.  El Duque's numbers (when healthy) are much better than Lowe's.  I know the health part scares ya, but that doesn't stop you from wanting Miller (a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen).

Miler>>>>.Old Duque

Does Old Duque get his AARP card this year? :rolly

Actually according to ESPN and MLB.com he's 35. Listed birthday is 10/11/69.

Of course with Cuban pitchers, who the hell knows. He could be 70 and no one would have any idea.

If he has left the US and came back, then we'd know his real age, but I don't think he's done that.

Its a wild and crazy guess, now we don't know how old two of the Sox starters are, lol.

Just read through this whole thread and I don't really know if this is that great of a move.

Obviously he's better then Grilli, but depending on the incentives I Think the Sox would be flat out stupid to give El Duque 4 mill next season.

Now if its like a 2 mill base that be a little different. Still, I think I'd rather offer and incentive laden deal to Wade Miller, who is younger and also has healthy concerns.

I've always been an El Duque fan and I just guess we'll have to hope he stays healthy. By the way, for anyone suggesting our 5th starter spot makes only 20 starts...screw that.

If we got 5 stick with it, especially considering the way Ozzie is hard on his pitchers. The big guys could use the extra day rest every once in a while. Thats my worry, he isn't going to make 30 starts and then you'll be running Grilli out there again, then again Bmac may just be ready (like Cheat noted).

I think there are better options. But if he's heatlhy he's a good pitcher and I guess we can only hope he is. But I fear he could just get hurt in spring and never pitch in the season for the Sox. He seems so fragile.

By the way, I don't necessarily think this means this is the Sox set rotation, it could just open the potential for Kenny to move Garland and not worry about finding a 5th starter after he adds another one.

Would you guys leadoff Eck and have Pod in the 2 slot or the opposite. Eckstein played pretty well in the 2nd half for the Angels. I remember booing his ass the entire first month of the season at the Angel games, back when his OBP was under .300. Then he got his crap together.

He's a hustle player and very good defensively, in fact he may be a gold glove defensive 2nd baseman. Plays his ass off as we all know. If he can hit 2.75-.280 or so I'd be pleased, but he's going to have to improve on drawing walks.

It kind of worries me cause it may give the Sox a pretty low OBP at the top of the lineup.

It's a 4/2 deal. Not 4/1! The incentives are built upon that. He declined arbitration from the NYY that probably would have paid 3M+. His numbers were solid in the 15 GS.

This makes sense for the CWS. Depending on ST, El-Duque could earn a spot any where betw 3-5. I think he will beat out Garland for the 4th spot. The gamble is that if he can stay healthy you can get 15W out of 34 GS from him. He had 8W in 15 GS with a respectable 3.30 era in 2004. If that happened then KW looks sly & crafty in this move.

What I like most about the move is the price. It's insurance against Contreras & Garland in the rotation if KW should be able to sign a younger experienced pitcher like Perez or acquire Vazquez in a trade where the NYY are paying most of his salary. If that were to happen then Hernandez makes for a fine long-relief guy. His versatility is what I like most about this guy. He just does whatever he can for the team to win.