WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

It's a stop gap measure to give the Sox 5 SP's. Nothing spectacular, esp with the durability issues. I still think the sox will make a run at Vazquez, if the price in terms of players is right as it will take awhile for another RJ deal to go down [which it should be less than what was being talked about earlier, as both NYY and AZ will lower their asking prices; also the yanks were going to throw in $6 mill for Vaz's contract--that amount would go up I bet in the days ahead]. Garland would be expendable then, as trading him wouldn't leave the sox w/ another hole

The best thing about the signing of O. Hernandez is if Kenny goes out and trades Garland along with others for Vazquez, the Sox is still going to have a true 5-SPs rotation.

I am very happy about this move since it will leave us some money left to sign Cora or Eckstein. The offseason isn't done yet. We still need to get help for the infielders. I would be estatic if we land Eckstein. Great job, KW!

Starting Pitchers (in order of rotation):

1) Buehrle

2) Garcia

3) Contreras

4) Garland

5) Hernandez

Starting Hitters (in batting order):

1) Pedsednik CF

2) Eckstein SS :wub:

3) Rowand LF

4) Thomas/Everett DH

5) Konerko 1B

6) Dye RF

7) Uribe/Harris 2B

8) Crede 3B

9) Davis/Burke C

And a solid bullpen.

GET Eckstein and I will be more than satisfied. :D

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda late here, but I must say those saying this is a bad signing is crazy. The trib said the contract can be worth up to $4 with incentives. That is CHEAP for a guy like Hernandez. We would have overpaid for Clement, we would overpay for Odalis Perez and we would overpay for Milton. This signing gives us flexibility for getting that 2B/Util like an Eckstein or Cora.

This is an excellant move by KW. Garland is the #5 though, IMO.

He's not 45.

And this is a solid pickup for the Sox.

Big game pitcher.

You can argue he was the Yankees best pitcher last season.

And plenty of playoff experience.

If he is only expected to be our #5, this is a good move for us.

Definitely better than overpaying for a guy like Clement.

Three things KW has said......and I'm paraphrasing.

1. 'Solving the 5th starter issue will be our #1 priority this off season'. I assume Duque would be our #5 guy, bumping Garland up to #4. I think the concensus on this board is that Garland is nothing better than a #5 guy for us. Will signing Duque really solve the #5 starter issue?

2. 'We are looking for a top of the rotation, impact arm'. Who is that impact arm we've signed this off season?

3. 'We will not sign an arm just to spend the money or because we feel like we have to do something'. Really? That's what the Duque move feels like.

1.  'Solving the 5th starter issue will be our #1 priority this off season'. I assume Duque would be our #5 guy, bumping Garland up to #4. I think the concensus on this board is that Garland is nothing better than a #5 guy for us. Will signing Duque really solve the #5 starter issue?

2.  'We are looking for a top of the rotation, impact arm'. Who is that impact arm we've signed this off season?

3.  'We will not sign an arm just to spend the money or because we feel like we have to do something'.    Really?  That's what the Duque move feels like.

I'd rather be a huge player in next year's offseason with Sheets and Santana as FA rather than blow money now on a guy like Odalis Perez.

Just my two cents.

Can't you believe this! The Carlos Lee trade has really panned out for the Sox. We traded away Carlos Lee ($8 mils), and got back:

1) Podsednik CF ($750,000)

2) Vizcaino Relief Pitcher ($1 mil)

3) A Minor League Prospect (PTBNL) (Not worth to mention)

4) El Duque ($4 mils)

5) Eckstein or Cora (Remain to be seen) ($2 mils)

Which means just to trade away Carlos Lee, KW has filled quite a few holes. Good job Kenny!

1.  'Solving the 5th starter issue will be our #1 priority this off season'. I assume Duque would be our #5 guy, bumping Garland up to #4. I think the concensus on this board is that Garland is nothing better than a #5 guy for us. Will signing Duque really solve the #5 starter issue?

2.  'We are looking for a top of the rotation, impact arm'. Who is that impact arm we've signed this off season?

3.  'We will not sign an arm just to spend the money or because we feel like we have to do something'.    Really?  That's what the Duque move feels like.

#1-is being answered if this move happens.

#2-Read that again. "We are looking for..." They spent a lot of time looking for an impact arm. They explored trades for Randy Johnson, and Javier Vazquez. I am sure that KW talked to Beane about the big 3 also. And they talked to Matt Clement. The spent a lot of time looking, but nothing worked out. It happens.

#3-To me that statement means they aren't going to pay a lot of money for a pitcher, simply to satisfy guys complaining in the newspapers. If they sign a pitcher, it will be for a decent pitcher, for a reasonable amount of money. It meant they aren't going to pay Clement $8.5 mil a year, or Odallis Perez $7+ mil a year, and they aren't going to give up half their team for a Randy Johnson. The statement is what it is. They are actually fulfilling the first off season priority in getting a fifth legit starting pitcher.

I'd rather be a huge player in next year's offseason with Sheets and Santana as FA rather than blow money now on a guy like Odalis Perez.

Just my two cents.

Gammons has corrupted baseball minds across America. His wet-dream of Red Sox acquiring Sheets has diluted his ability to report factual news.

Sheets is NOT a FA in 2006.

And Santana? White Sox will "fall short" due to an "unexpected fluctuation in contracts."

I think 2 years of El Duque as a 5th starter at $4 million per year is a very good to excellent deal for the Sox.

The 5th starter slot has been an unmitigated disaster for the White Sox over the past few years, easily costing the team 4-5 wins per year (which is a ton of wins). Just having a league-average pitcher like Jon Garland in the 5 spot would probably have gotten the Sox up to 88 wins last year - not enough to win the division, but really close (what did the fifth starters go? 3-12 or so?).

El Duque is an above average starter. He's only had one year with an ERA+ of below 100 - and even then it wasn't a disaster. Every other year he's been 10% or better above the league average - which is better than Jon Garland.

El Duque has been injured often over the last few years. But the fifth starter spot - which opens up only 20 times or so each year - is ideal for his health. I think he'd be much more effective pitching with a lot of rest and much more likely to stay healthy throughout. If he can give the Sox 25 starts from the 5th starter spot and an ERA of 4.5, I believe that, all other things being equal, the Sox will win 5-6 more games next year. Take Koskie away from Minnesota, and give Santana and Silva less luck (Santana had a very lucky .250 BABIP), and the Sox and Twins are dead even.

The BIGGEST problem for the Sox next year will be that Rowand and Konerko will regress to their past performances. Expect 30 HR from Konerko and a .280 BA from Rowand. The drop off from those two will cost the Sox a few games. Hopefull, Dye's performance - he's replacing essentially Borchard and Timo in RF - will be more than enough to offset the declines from Rowand and Konerko.

The season may just turn on whether Crede comes around.

The season may just turn on whether Crede comes around.

I don't know about everyone else, but that scenario worries the hell out of me. You know he ain't a good starter either, and he'll need to have one to get the critics off his back.

No. The concensus on the board is that Garland is only a number 5 starter. That was a "wouldn't it be great if Garland was our number 5" type of situation. In Aug or Sept of last year, I compared Garland's numbers with the number 3 starters of all the teams still in contention in the AL. Garland compared on an average to favorable basis with all but Westbrook of Cleveland. Yes, even Garland's "Judy type numbers" were very comparable to number 3 AL starters, and better than the number 4 guys.

1. You have to remember KW motto.. If its broke why fix it

2. Jermaine Dye :huh:

3. They are not, instead of ponying up, they will go with a cheap replacement to save some cash that the JR and board way..But, he does care aboiut winning

1. You have to remember KW motto.. If its broke why fix it

2. Jermaine Dye :huh:

3. They are not, instead of ponying up, they will go with a cheap replacement to save some cash that the JR and board way..But, he does care aboiut winning

Still interested for Lowe @9mill per season I see. ;)

Still interested for Lowe @9mill per season I see.  ;)

Either Lowe or Miller.. 2 pitchers that can make a difference..granted Miller health sacres me but at the right price, why not?

The Goal was to get a top of the rotation guy in here that makes a difference? All we are doing is buying cheap replacement parts.

The best thing about the signing of O. Hernandez is if Kenny goes out and trades Garland along with others for Vazquez, the Sox is still going to have a true 5-SPs rotation. 

I am very happy about this move since it will leave us some money left to sign Cora or Eckstein.  The offseason isn't done yet.  We still need to get help for the infielders.  I would be estatic if we land Eckstein.  Great job, KW!

Starting Pitchers (in order of rotation):

1) Buehrle

2) Garcia

3) Contreras

4) Garland

5) Hernandez

Starting Hitters (in batting order):

1) Pedsednik CF

2) Eckstein SS :wub:

3) Rowand LF

4) Thomas/Everett DH

5) Konerko 1B

6) Dye RF

7) Uribe/Harris 2B

8) Crede 3B

9) Davis/Burke C

And a solid bullpen.

GET Eckstein and I will be more than satisfied. :D

JMHO, but I would steer clear of the NY/Arizona negotiations.

With Garland, you know what you're going to get. He'll eat up innings, and give you a sub-five ERA with the potential to be a sub-four-and-a-half pitcher. While Vazquez is solid, you'd also have to give up Garland as well as Marte, and possibly even a minor leaguer to get the deal to go through.

So, is Vazquez > Garland + Marte + Minor Leaguer + Eckstien/Cora (Because, we'd have no money to spend on Eck/Cora if we made the trade).

I'm content with this team heading to Spring Training as it is right now, and I'd be happier if we can sign one of Cora/Eckstien to finish it off...

El Duque seems more like the Sox covering their bases in case they can't get an impact arm. It doesn't hurt to have 5 solid SP's. But I still think an impact arm is doable for the sox via trade

I'm in awe.  I'll tell ya, I'll be real dissappointed if I wake up tomorrow and find out that this rumor is false. 

We can now, actually, go on a winning streak for five or more games.  If, God willing, our starters all catch fire at the same time, we might be able to put on one of those double-digit winnings streaks.  Boy, would that be nice.

Hopefully this move will loosen up Contreras a bit, too.  No excuses.  He's got his family here, another Cuban, he's set to go for his Cy Young season the Yankees were hoping for when they bought him -- except, it will be in the White Sox pinstripes (or so I hope).  :headbang  :pray

Amen, I have been saying this for the last two years that this rather than the record of the #5 is what is killing us.

Either Lowe or Miller.. 2 pitchers that can make a difference..granted Miller health sacres me but at the right price, why not?

The Goal was to get a top of the rotation guy in here that makes a difference? All we are doing is buying  cheap replacement parts.

When did Lowe become a top of the rotation guy? Look at the past two years. El Duque's numbers (when healthy) are much better than Lowe's. I know the health part scares ya, but that doesn't stop you from wanting Miller (a Tommy John surgery waiting to happen).