WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

For the sake of the entire staff's arms, if we signed El Duque, I wouldn't skip the 5th starter spot if we didn't play five games in a row.  Whether it's El Duque, Contreras, Garland, whoever.  I'd always run through five, unless it's a extenuating circumstance.

Your thoughts?

Most pitchers get into the 5 day routine and are most effective when in that routine. I would stretch El Duque's rest periods and drop him in the slot that sets up the most pitcher's to have exactly 5 days rest, but not let any of them pitch on 4 days rest.

Did you follow all that? :lol:

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of the entire staff's arms, if we signed El Duque, I wouldn't skip the 5th starter spot if we didn't play five games in a row.  Whether it's El Duque, Contreras, Garland, whoever.  I'd always run through five, unless it's a extenuating circumstance.

Your thoughts?

I agree, 3E8.

Put as less stress on those arms as possible. It will pay off in September when Freddy Garcia and Mark Buehrle are fresh, as we go into those final 17 games against the AL Central.

Our bullpen will be much fresher, too, come September, than it would normally have been. Wow -- I really like this move... :headbang

In the division it's easily the best, imo.  Nobody else has 5 quality starters.

Tend to agree.

We don't have a superace like Santana (If he repeats last year). What are the Twins after Santana and Radke? If the Twins and Sox were pit 5 games head to head, I think we would win the most.

But really, no one knows with the Twins.

So, if we did sign El Duque (I ain't gonna jump the gun here), where do you guys think our staff 1-5 would rank in the division?

Hmm... Good question.

In the AL, I'd put it -- wow. Tough question. I think our rotation ranks behind Boston's as well as New York's (that's debatable, though). I think I'd put ours third, right up there with Minnesota (Radke and Santana are tough to beat, not much behind them), and potentially Oakland (though that's definitely debatable, whether or not their young guns come through).

I have to say, I like our one through five better than just about anyone in the AL, though... It helps when three of the better starters in the AL are now gone (Huddy, Mulder, Pedro), too.

Tend to agree.

We don't have a superace like Santana (If he repeats last year). What are the Twins after Santana and Radke? If the Twins and Sox were pit 5 games head to head, I think we would win the most.

But really, no one knows with the Twins.

Carlos Silva, Joe Mays and Kyle Lohse most likely.

Only on the White Sox board would people complain about having El Duque instead of Jason F'n Grilli.  We begged KW to get a 5th starter...and it looks like he may get us one without taking too big of a risk.

I like it. I'm dissappointed that we didn't get Clement but at least they appear to be addressing the 5th starter problem instead of just sitting on the extra cash from all the off-season cost cutting. I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt on this one if it does, in fact, come to pass.

To be honest, at the moment (w/El Duque) I'd say we're right there with the Yanks and Red Sox. That most likely will change in that I expect them to pick up some other pitcher via FA or trade.

Yanks:

Mussina - good

Vasquez - who the hell knows

Brown - good when healthy

then what?

Red Sox:

Schilling - Great, may start season on DL

Wells - good

Clement - ok

Wakefield - eh.

Arroyo - ok.

I'd probably put the Red Sox ahead of us and I do realize the strong chance that the Yanks might get the Big Unit. So, I'm thinking that we'll definitely start the season with the 3rd of 4th best staff in the AL.

To be honest, at the moment (w/El Duque) I'd say we're right there with the Yanks and Red Sox.  That most likely will change in that I expect them to pick up some other pitcher via FA or trade.

Yanks:

Mussina - good

then what?

Red Sox:

Wells - good

Clement - ok

Wakefield - eh.

Arroyo - ok.

I'd probably put the Red Sox ahead of us and I do realize the strong chance that the Yanks might get the Big Unit.  So, I'm thinking that we'll definitely start the season with the 3rd of 4th best staff in the AL.

Add Pavano and Wright for the yanks

To be honest, at the moment (w/El Duque) I'd say we're right there with the Yanks and Red Sox.  That most likely will change in that I expect them to pick up some other pitcher via FA or trade.

Yanks:

Mussina - good

then what?

Red Sox:

Wells - good

Clement - ok

Wakefield - eh.

Arroyo - ok.

I'd probably put the Red Sox ahead of us and I do realize the strong chance that the Yanks might get the Big Unit.  So, I'm thinking that we'll definitely start the season with the 3rd of 4th best staff in the AL.

I think next year Vazquez is going to have a hell of a year, unless he has a lingering injury...

Wasn't Kevin Brown great all year except for his punching a wall injury? If he refrains from punching walls, I think he'll also put up a good year.

this is a typical sox move. KW is do intent on filling that #5 hole, that he misses the point. we should go out and get a #3 instead of filling in a #5. that is how winning teams win. if they are missing at a position, they use it as a way to improve their ballclub, not fill in.