WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

You can also argue that he's never had any success outside of New York. Let's see what type of effect Don Cooper has on him instead of Mel Stottlemire for a change. I think El Duque knows he has something to prove, if he makes this move.

IIRC, he has never pitched anywhere else in the majors right? Wasn't he hurt for the whole season in Montreal?

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not saying much considering their rotation.

Mike Mussina? Jon Lieber?

The Sox are obviously making this move because of what has happened with the RJ to New York trade falling over, which means that they are probably out of the Vazquez hunt.

El duque proved last year if he's healthy he's still one heck of a pitcher. Obviously the most important thing is to keep him healthy. I think it's a very good move though to atleast have 5 starters and we still have some money to work with to upgrade other positions.

considerign Cora's brother is our third base coach I would think he will strongly consider the whitesox. just thinking if my brother were on a team.

If my brother was on the team, I wouldn't join, I like the rivalry. But I do agree with you about him taking a serious consideration about it. I wouldn't mind seeing him here.

El duque proved last year if he's healthy he's still one heck of a pitcher.  Obviously the most important thing is to keep him healthy.  I think it's a very good move though to atleast have 5 starters and we still have some money to work with to upgrade other positions.

the thing is, with their being four other starters with him and us having a deeper pen, there won't be a need for him to go deep into games or even make 30+ starts.

who knows if this is true though.

There's a big difference between reporting we offered someone a deal, and saying that someone is flying in for a physical. The physical report is much more legit ot me, cause that's the type of information that usually means a deal is officially on the table.

the thing is, with their being four other starters with him and us having a deeper pen, there won't be a need for him to go deep into games or even make 30+ starts.

Good point Molto. With the deep pen and already having 4 guys that could probably go 200 plus innings we can be very careful with him. Also you keep him healthy down the stretch and we all know what kind of big game pitcher he is, and that would be huge. I really do like this move, he's still a better pitcher then some that have got bigger contracts then him this offseason, he could be an absolute steal. I'd think now Cora is definitely a possibility.

I know he is 45 years old. I know he get injured. But this is good news. Jason Grilli and his 7.40 ERA can give up gopher balls in AAA. Diaz can replace Mike Jackson as our dog in the pen. All is right in the world. El Duque pitched pretty well last year and I am surprised that they did not sign him.

Go get Eckstein now and I will be a happy camper.

Or lets get greedy and trade for Vasquez and have 3 ex NY starters on our team. Trade Garland and get Javy. His value must be low if he was the reason that the dodgers pulled out of it.

This is an old Hardball Times article about Hernandez and other starters before FA;

Similarly, both Millwood and Hernandez should be available for discount prices this offseason and both are definitely worth one-year deals with some incentives and/or an option for 2006. In fact, once you get past the elite starting pitchers in any free agent class, I'm a big believer in taking some chances on guys who, for whatever reasons, come at discount rates. Would you rather pay top dollar for a guy like Milton, who threw 201 innings with a 4.75 ERA this year and has a career ERA of 4.76, or would you rather roll the dice that Wells can give you something fairly similar for a fraction of the cost without a multi-year commitment? Assuming I'm not working with the Yankees' budget, I'd go with Wells every time.

From what I've heard so far, guys like Milton, Lieber, Ortiz, Clement and Benson are looking for three-year deals worth somewhere around $20-25 million at the very least. Depending on a team's budget, those wouldn't be horrible signings, but doing a little shopping in the Wells-Millwood-Hernandez bargain bin is a much better idea, and you also might be able to luck into getting someone like Perez or Lowe for a cheaper-than-expected deal too. Laying back and letting the bargains come to you is a very viable option in the starting pitcher market.

Well, if the signing is true, than for the first time in over three years (or is it four?), we have FIVE -- count 'em, five capable starters.

I'm worried about Contreras, but it feels good. I think we have a nice pitching staff on our hands this year, and I really think one of Eckstien/Cora will still be added.

Well, if the signing is true, than for the first time in over three years (or is it four?), we have FIVE -- count 'em, five capable starters. 

I'm worried about Contreras, but it feels good.  I think we have a nice pitching staff on our hands this year, and I really think one of Eckstien/Cora will still be added.

I would rather get Eck instead of cora. I dont feel that good about having a relative in the coaching aspect. It kind of skews the objectivity.

Get Eck and you have some great balance.