Quotes from KW regarding Hernandez

aboz56

If he's healthy, phenomenal pickup cause he's an awesome pitcher when healthy.  Hell basically he's fantastic when on the mound.  We can only hope.  Still I think he may be embelishing the physical just a bit.

LOL! Do you think just a little. :D

Or to take it another way, he is healthier than Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and Contreras. That's just a little disconcerting IMHO.

This guy has made 30 starts one time in his career.

Something about that stat does not make me feel comfortable.

I like Duque...I think he could be a solid starter for us...and I like signing him.  Having a junkballer in our rotation is a good thing.  But I would like more durability.

Definately limit his pitch count.  He should never have a complete game this year, unless it is around 100 pitches.

this is a great point for two reasons. One, it will be smart to limit his pitch count much more than the other arms, because of his age and history. And Two, Ozzie can do this because KW went out in the offseason and made our bullpen 100 times stronger than before, which will help not only keep Duque fresh, but some of the other "tired" arms as well.

Take this for what its worth but Bruce Levine was saying this AM that KW was quoted as saying they are planning on having El Duque as the #3 starter... I think that would be a bad idea. He has the stuff no doubt to be a #3 but don't know if he will have that kind of endurance. I would say 150 innings at most for him...unless he shows he can deal with that. They should use El Duque as no more than a #4. IMO

I think he can be a "third starter" in name only but still get those 5th starter day's off. It would be stupid to be skipping a young guy like Garland in the rotation if it meant keeping El Duque in the rotation all year.

JMHO, but I don't think they should skip anyone's turn in the rotation, even if it's coming off of an extra day of rest. I think they should go through all five spots in the rotation. The thing is, though, with El Duque, don't pitch him in meaningless innings -- meaning, if the team puts up ten runs for him, and Duque is able to get through five innings, hand the ball to Cotts/Adkins and call it a day for Hernandez. If we're able to keep all five starters healthy for the majority of the year, I really think we'll be in good shape come September.

I admit I was weary of penciling him as the third startrer as well, but after giving it some thought, it could work out just fine. Currently, without OH, we have 4 guys capable of pitching over 200 innings per season. With the strength of our pen, it could make sense to break those guys up down the middle.