Sox targeting 2B

EvilJester99

Sign him....You are taking a risk that is about the same as Willie playing everyday.

If willie is strickly against right handed pitchers there is no risk at all. He would be one of, if not the best nine hitter in the league. Willie should not bat against a lefty at all next season. I do not care if a left handed reliever comes in the third inning. You have to go to the bench.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, long - term it could be a better move to sign him after he gets used to the game at the MLB level, because we all saw the adjustments Kaz Matsui had to make. But it's more likely they sign Cora or Cairo, which I'm very hopeful for if they don't sign a catcher.

I do not know about this. Iguchi asked his team the hawks to put him on the same thing where teams have to bid on him just to have the rights to talk to him. Does not sound like something the sox would do to me.

He's a free agent, there's no bidding for his rights in this case.

If all this talk about getting someone for 2b is true, the sox must think Wilson Valdez can fill in at SS fulltime in case Uribe gets injured. If Valdez can play above avg defense and hit close to .250, I guess he'd be more than capable if Uribe went down. All the guys talked about are not fulltime SS's [iguchi, Cora, Cairo]

My guess is Valdez would be in AAA, ready in case he's needed. Esp if the sox get someone like Iguchi, Cairo or Cora who could play SS on a short term basis to give Uribe a day off. As it is, the sox have no SS backup. So Valdez would have to make the sox if no moves are made

If all this talk about getting someone for 2b is true, the sox must think Wilson Valdez can fill in at SS fulltime in case Uribe gets injured. If Valdez can play above avg defense and hit close to .250, I guess he'd be more than capable if Uribe went down. All the guys talked about are not fulltime SS's [iguchi, Cora, Cairo]

My guess is Valdez would be in AAA, ready in case he's needed. Esp if the sox get someone like Iguchi, Cairo or Cora who could play SS on a short term basis to give Uribe a day off. As it is, the sox have no SS backup. So Valdez would have to make the sox if no moves are made

I don't think there's any question Valdez can play some solid D, that's his forte and why Ozzie wanted to trade for him in the Koch deal. It's whether Valdez can hit for a high enough average in the majors, because he never takes a walk, and that is going to kill his OBP.

I don't think there's any question Valdez can play some solid D, that's his forte and why Ozzie wanted to trade for him in the Koch deal. It's whether Valdez can hit for a high enough average in the majors, because he never takes a walk, and that is going to kill his OBP.

The sox must be sold on Valdez's defense at SS, or else they'd be looking for a guy who could play SS on a long term basis. He might hug the mendoza line but he'd be the sox 1st option if Uribe went down for a long time. IMO, Valdez could hit close to .250 and handle the bat well enough to prevent the sox from having to trade for a replacement SS.

These 2b guys being mentioned couldn't play SS if Uribe went down for the season. But could play a game or two. The sox seem to have a backup plan for most spots [not really 3b in case Crede got hurt, or SS, which made me think of Valdez being part of the sox 2005 plans, even if he's at AAA]

It hard to speculate on this because there hasn't been enough history in Japaneese player performance when they transfer to the major leagues + I don't think anybody who has posted this has seen even 1 game of his.

As far as harris, i beg kw not to let him start at 2b. The one thing i liked about ozzie last season is that he benched willie early because ozzie learned that this guy is not an every day major league baseball player. Although I disagree with many of ozzie's ways, he does one thing that KW has never learned, to cut your losses short(Jon Garland & Joe Borchard).

I believe Cairo could hold down the SS position and if I'm not mistaken, Iguchi was primarily a SS that the Sox were looking at for 2B.

I agree that the 2b guy the sox get should play SS. My point is that Valdez would likely be better defensively at SS than either of those two for playing there everyday.

Possibly.  We don't have clue as to Iguchi's defensive capabilities.

I did read Iguchi switched from SS to 2b after he hurt his arm/ shoulder? and hasn't played there since [2000, 2001?]. My guess is he could play a few games there but would hurt the club too much if he had to play a ee or longer there. Same with Cairo, though I haven't seen him play SS. I'm just going by the fact that 2b is considered Cairo's best position.

that's why I'm thinking the sox must be convinced Valdez can play SS if Uribe went down. If they didn't the sox would have a huge hole at SS if Uribe got hurt for a while

I did read Iguchi switched from SS to 2b after he hurt his arm/ shoulder? and hasn't played there since [2000, 2001?]. My guess is he could play a few games there but would hurt the club too much if he had to play a ee or longer there. Same with Cairo, though I haven't seen him play SS. I'm just going by the fact that 2b is considered Cairo's best position.

that's why I'm thinking the sox must be convinced Valdez can play SS if Uribe went down. If they didn't the sox would have a huge hole at SS if Uribe got hurt for a while

Ok ... That's info I didn't have about Iguchi. Yes, Cairo has been primarily a 2B. Not only do the Sox get in a bind if Uribe goes down, but also with Crede as Uribe would be the best replacement for Crede at this point.

Ok ... That's info I didn't have about Iguchi.  Yes, Cairo has been primarily a 2B.  Not only do the Sox get in a bind if Uribe goes down, but also with Crede as Uribe would be the best replacement for Crede at this point.

If last yr showed anything w/ the injuries to Maggs and frank, is that the Sox need to have backups in case of season ending injuries.

Going into 2005 w/o a backup for Uribe at SS makes no sense. Which the sox must think Valdez is, even if he's at AAA for the yr. They can't keep Valdez on the roster, and get a 2B man. Unless that 2b man can play SS or 3B as well. Crede has no backup either now. I wouldn't want Uribe moved from SS to 3b in that case.

We can't have Harris in the lineup, even though in his first full season, he put up a pretty good average and a solid OBP (especially against righties), but we can have Burke in the lineup because you like him...?

Of course, we'll take this guy over Harris, but to rip Harris like that is pretty stupid...

I'll rip on who I want, when I want, thanks.

A guy who doesn't cut it for me is Willie because he rarely gets a hit when he leads off!

Doesn't take a lot of walks and K's lots...there are those days when he's on fire...

I'll rip on who I want, when I want, thanks.

A guy who doesn't cut it for me is Willie because he rarely gets a hit when he leads off!

Doesn't take a lot of walks and K's lots...there are those days when he's on fire...

Yet you think our catching situation is just fine. Harris hit a respectable .262 or so in his first year of getting a qantity of playing time. He only stole 19 bases when he's capable of so much more, but then Beastly, you've never experience the first day day, weeks year on a job that you wanted to make a career of. Until you do, you, and you realize the uncertainty and lack of confidence you have, you have nothing meaningful to say about a young ballplayer.

im just not sold on this guy... i seriously would rather get Cora over him... just not as much of a risk. I mean, numbers always go down from Japan to here. What if he goes back to his pre-2003 numbers or worse? Thats just too much of a risk for me.

I think Willie needs a little more time to develop, so I wouldn't mind seeing a platoon at 2b.

Willie was still working on becoming a leadoff hitter. The Sox obviously stressed seeing more pitches in the leadoff spot and at times it hurt Willie. The problem was he is looking at good pitches until he has two strikes, and he is not a good two strike hitter. With Pods here he may have a much better year in the 9 spot.

im just not sold on this guy... i seriously would rather get Cora over him...  just not as much of a risk.  I mean, numbers always go down from Japan to here.  What if he goes back to his pre-2003 numbers or worse?  Thats just too much of a risk for me.

This is a situation to where you have to trust your scouts.