UPGRADE ISSUES

kapkomet

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
Thats good.  I also made a change in the settings, so maybe that did it.  If you start getting emailed again though, then I'm pretty sure it stems from that portion.

spoke too soon. it subscribed me to this topic... <_>

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, going to ask. What skin are you guys using? Maybe it somehow is stemming from the skin. I know I'm using just the plain skin. Are all of you using like dark grey or something?

If so then I could isolate it to an issue with that. Goldie can you give me a screenshot of what your email controls look like. That way I'll check and see if mine match what you show.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Ok, going to ask.  What skin are you guys using?  Maybe it somehow is stemming from the skin.  I know I'm using just the plain skin.  Are all of you using like dark grey or something? 

If so then I could isolate it to an issue with that.  Goldie can you give me a screenshot of what your email controls look like.  That way I'll check and see if mine match what you show.

i'm using the borderline grey...and getting them.

Ok, I think we may be onto something here. Is anyone using the regular Default Skin getting this problem?

Out of curiosity soxnbears, can you change to the default temporarily and see if the problem goes away. I'm pretty sure goldmember is using the borderline grey as well.

Ok, fantastic news. I've solved the issue. The reason your only getting some of the threads to show up in your subscription is because there is an error in the fast reply using the bordline gray theme.

If you click on fast reply and then look below the type in box for the reply. You will see 3 check boxes, and all three are checked. However, the enable notification of replies should be unchecked, but for whatever reason the default on that theme has it checked.

I'm going to either scrap that theme, try to find a way to change the default via the php, or hope you guys can find a way to change it in your control panels where it doesn't come up as a default.

If you can, one of you give me a screen shot of your email controls portion of my controls and then I can maybe diagnose it there as well.

I can't figure it out. And I tried messing with the control panel area to remove it and was going through all the html and php code and could find nothing that would let me make the default unchecked.

So either I'm going to remove that skin or you guys will have to uncheck the boxes until I figure out another way, which could be done tomorrow with a fresh mind. I just looked through all the html templates though and couldn't find anything for the quick post area.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 4, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
ahhh.....nice job jason

that was it.

i'll just have to switch to the default then.

same here. using borderline grey skin and use fast reply pretty often. will switch to default skin too. thanks jas, you're awesome... :headbang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:06 AM)
Any update on whether we're going to get the normal black skin that we had previously before the board was upgraded?  :)

Maybe I'll surprise everyone and take care of it today...but its doubtful, lol.

By the way for the people who couldn't see the 2nd quote box, there is something odd going on. On my browser at work (mozilla) I see the quote + and the normal quote. On my browser at home (mozilla) I see the quote+ and then a reply"

For those that are seeing the reply" and were having trouble quoting, that is the button you should hit for a normal quoted reply.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
Maybe I'll surprise everyone and take care of it today...but its doubtful, lol. 

By the way for the people who couldn't see the 2nd quote box, there is something odd going on.  On my browser at work (mozilla) I see the quote + and the normal quote.  On my browser at home (mozilla) I see the quote+ and then a reply"

For those that are seeing the reply" and were having trouble quoting, that is the button you should hit for a normal quoted reply.

I was wondering what everyone was talking about with the 2 "Quote" buttons. I use IE so this makes more sense. I plan on going to Firefox at home though.

Any issues I should be aware about with Firefox?

Ok I've figured it out even more. For those of you that like me saw two quote buttons, you need to clear your cache. It will naturally do it over time, but if you clear it now, then just hit refresh in a couple areas and you'll see everything like brand new.

Comments:

max posts / page, max topics/page = 40, 40

Can we make this 100, 100?

This would be more practical with broadband.

If any one knows how to get a quote tree to work in a post please pass it on.

IMHO, I think overall ignore lists are good on a temporary basis. That does help cool things down when they get heated betw users. That can happen any where in any forum including Pale Hose itself.

But long term they equate to discrimination by one user vs. another. It's placing discimination as a higher value than free speech. I view free speech not just as the right to say what you want but more important the right to be heard as well.

My advice then would be to include a time attribute with the ignore list.

When you add someone to it, include how long you want to ignore them:

3 days, 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 1 year, always.

I would think in most case 3 days-1 week would cool things done.

When the time expires the person would be automatically removed from the list.

Hey Juggs

As far as the ignore feature, not many people are going to use it. But when two people just can't get along then by all means they should use the ignore feature. Sometimes that happens and this will be a nice way to keep those fights between the two people that don't get along from ever happening.

As far as the posts options, go to your control panel and then board settings and you can change the post you see on the board and in the thread.

Hey Juggs

As far as the ignore feature, not many people are going to use it.  But when two people just can't get along then by all means they should use the ignore feature.  Sometimes that happens and this will be a nice way to keep those fights between the two people that don't get along from ever happening.

As far as the posts options, go to your control panel and then board settings and you can change the post you see on the board and in the thread.

Chisoxfn, if it seemed like I was advocating the feature to be disabled that was a misunderstanding. I agree the ignore feature is helpful & even supported a temporary usage of it. I even included always as an option.

But I added that generally speaking I would hope most who on this board who cheerish the principle of free speech & the right to be heard that is associated with it would exercise caution before using it.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?act=UserCP&CODE=04

The options are 5..40 in increments of 5 for both posts/topic & topics/forum.

I think that's outdated with respect to broadband usage.

Having options of 20..100 in increments of 10 would be better.

I'm still seeing several posts pertaining to QUOTES so let me just spew what I know from my usage.

If you use FAST REPLY your post will occur w/out any quotes.

If you use REPLY your post will occur w a quote of the last user to appear in the post you are replying to.

If the +QUOTE was working, then when you reply all users appearing in the post would appear in your reply. But it's not working so +QUOTE does the same thing as -QUOTE.

If you select -QUOTE then only the last user to appear in the post will appear in your reply.

Even though it looks like +QUOTE is the default since it's not working

it's the same as -QUOTE.

So the moral of all this is don't bother using the QUOTE button until

someone acknowledges +QUOTE is working.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
You Da Man!  Gracias!

Testing Quote+

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I'm still seeing several posts pertaining to QUOTES so let me just spew what I know from my usage.

If you use FAST REPLY your post will occur w/out any quotes.

If you use REPLY your post will occur w a quote of the last user to appear in the post you are replying to.

If the +QUOTE was working, then when you reply all users appearing in the post would appear in your reply. But it's not working so +QUOTE does the same thing as -QUOTE.

If you select -QUOTE then only the last user to appear in the post will appear in your reply.

Even though it looks like +QUOTE is the default since it's not working

it's the same as -QUOTE.

So the moral of all this is don't bother using the QUOTE button until

someone acknowledges +QUOTE is working.

Testing Quote+