Iguchi or Bust

Loaiza21

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
stay away, I want Castillo...

Would you give up Marte for him though? The next best lefty we'd have in the pen is Cotts remember even though Vizcaino is excellent against LHH.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 10:14 PM)
Would you give up Marte for him though? The next best lefty we'd have in the pen is Cotts remember even though Vizcaino is excellent against LHH.

Which is not a good thing since cotts cannot get lefties out.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 02:08 AM)
If we do sign Iguchi then Willie needs to be sent down to AAA in favor of Valdez (or traded if we can get anything for him).

The more I think about it maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing...

sorry bud but Willie Harris is not going to be sent down to the minors in favor of Wilson Valdez.... you forget Willie can play LF or CF as well as 2B and he also can be used as a pinch runner.. and not to mention he is obviously better than Valdez... Willie either on our 25 man roster or is traded for scraps.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
If only the Sox signed Steve Kline instead of Dustin Hermanson. I can't believe Shoe is going to be making just a little less than Kline as well, especially after the year he had in St. Louis.

Why?

Kline signed for the same deal (5.5 million guaranteed,) is a left handed specalist, can not start if needed, and was in more demand (He was coveted by the Yankees.)

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Why?

Kline signed for the same deal (5.5 million guaranteed,) is a left handed specalist, can not start if needed, and was in more demand (He was coveted by the Yankees.)

But the Sox have guys like Munoz, Diaz etc. who can start if needed. All I'm saying is that it's definitely more likely Kline will have better stats or the length of his contract than Hermanson. Kline was coveted by the Yanks, but they were so caught up in the RJ sweepstakes, that the O's snuck in and signed him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
But the Sox have guys like Munoz, Diaz etc. who can start if needed. All I'm saying is that it's definitely more likely Kline will have better stats or the length of his contract than Hermanson. Kline was coveted by the Yanks, but they were so caught up in the RJ sweepstakes, that the O's snuck in and signed him.

I never want to see Munoz start in a Sox game ever again. Diaz was ok, but I would still start Hermanson of either of those two in case we were playing a doubleheader or if El Duque wnet down. Plus we would have to mess around with roster spaces unless you are actually suggesting that Diaz or Munoz should be in the pen for the entire year. :puke

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
this was said on 9th from iguchi side but If someone translate go ahead

http://www.japaneseballplayers.com/en/player.php?id=iguchi

Rough translation of title:

Iguchi denys the report that White Sox is No longer IN nagotiation with his agent. January 9, 2005

My version: Iguchi denies reports that White Sox no longer in negotiation with his agent.

Looking for more....

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
I never want to see Munoz start in a Sox game ever again.  Diaz was ok, but I would still start Hermanson of either of those two in case we were playing a doubleheader or if El Duque wnet down.  Plus we would have to mess around with roster spaces unless you are actually suggesting that Diaz or Munoz should be in the pen for the entire year.  :puke

Munoz won't be starting anyway, his long term future is definitely in the pen. Diaz could be effective as a starter in the future, but he needs to work on his other pitches. And don't forget about B-Mac either, he could be up with the team as a starter by July if there's an injury and he keeps improving. There's room for 1 guy on the pen out of Cotts, Adkins, Munoz, Grilli and Diaz, it's likely the pitcher who has the best spring training will get the job.

Take this for what it's worth..

It leaves joining an organization negotiation to the Richard * moth person of the representative. " It negotiates Inokuchi which waits for good news with some club. Already gradually (it is decided) with there is the feeling which is said ", it suggests that negotiation is stage of stuffing. Also, the authorized personnel says " being slow, we would like to decide to about 20 days ". There is also information that negotiation with the white socks was broken off, but main person of Inokuchi has not been broken off ". It continues ", it denied.

What I gather from this, Iguchi wants to know where he's playing in 20 days.

ALso posted on the 6th, you may find it interesting...

"White Sox GM Williams says they are not interested in either Nori Nakamura or Tadahito Iguchi. Reasons: Nakamura is too expenisve when 3B is not a garanteed position and Iguchi's Agents's lack of respect to the club."

Well I think that just about busts this thread :D

To whoever said Willie had more to offer in terms of defensive versatility than Valdez, don't forget that Valdez can play 2B, 3B, and SS, and we currently need backups for SS and 3B. While Willie can play OF, so can Gload, Perez, and Everett as backups. Not saying I think Willie would be kept over Valdez, but just pointing something out.

it just seems like he's asking us to risk a lot. i don't know how many clubs would be willing to give him 3 years. it's not like he's getting a small salary until he proves himself. what'd shingo make last year? it was less than 1mil, right? and he's the all-time saves leader in japan. 2 years with an option on the 3rd maybe, but i think asking a 3rd year is a bit much.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
I'm all for Iguchi.  Everything that I've been able to find about him makes him seem like a solid number 2 hitter. 

Here are some quotes from onedog31 on the Whitesox.com offical message board.  He says he lives in Japan.  His comments sum up the opinions I've been able to find.

Also the move is good for the Asian market:

I'd love the Sox to get Iguchi for 2b and Cora for Utility.

That is a great insight. The other thing an Iguchi signing could achieve is to open the pipeline to other Japanese players to consider the southside as a destination. I know they have the big named pitcher that is rumored to want to come here in 2006. If he had a couple of countrymen here already, it could fasicilitate acclimation to a team. Which might make his price a little less to come to the Sox.

It sounds like Kenny's interest towards Iguchi has faded. It would have been interesting signing him, but it would have been a risk because he never played against MLB pitching. Look at the year Kaz Matsui had. If Iguchi isn't interested in coming here than forget about him. It just opens up more options for Kenny. He can sign Alex Cora OR pull off another trade. The talk around here is been about Ray Durham coming back (I haven't heard anything about this on both radio stations) There is also talk that Flordia could be possibly shopping Luis Castillo. (I haven't heard that the Sox are interested on both radio stations also)

Could this be because KW is 'flying under the radar?' I don't know why but I have a hunch KW is working on a deal to bring one of those guys here. Lets just wait and see....... (only 2 days till Soxfest)