Iguchi or Bust

Loaiza21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(diehard chisox 1427 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
I'm sorry guys, I'm just not sold on this guy.  There has been a huge Jap craze in the past few years and it seems as though "one big guy"  comes out of Japan every year.  Give Willie a shot every day and maybe he's not bad.  Let it be known though that I am not a big Willie fan, I'm just nervous about Iguchi.

Bill

If anyone says it, I will yell at them.

By the way, welcome to Soxtalk Bill!

I'm all for Iguchi. Everything that I've been able to find about him makes him seem like a solid number 2 hitter.

Here are some quotes from onedog31 on the Whitesox.com offical message board. He says he lives in Japan. His comments sum up the opinions I've been able to find.

He would absolutely, most definatley be the best # 2 hitter we could have. He would be able to do everything that Ozzie asked and more! Sac bunt, bunt for a hit, move a runner over with a grounder on the right side, sac fly with runner on third, hit and run, steal base, work the count, and etc. No doubt about that. Definately a smart player.

He is popular in Japan, not the biggest player, but well known by baseball fans. Maybe like a Shawn Green in America.

Also the move is good for the Asian market:

They would inc revenue for the Sox. American baseball is huge in Japan. They sell tons of jerseys, hats, and video games. Most Shingo fans are fans of the Sox now, so I would asume the same would happen for Iguchi. Every Japanese person I ask about who their favorite team is in America, they always say Yankees, Mariners, or Dodgers, b/c of the Japanese palyers on those teams.

The Mariners do have a TV contract in Japan. Almost all of their games are aired live every morning.

Yes Shingo is bringing attention to the Sox. I have seen quite a few Japanese people with Sox hats on and always stop to talk to them and they always mention Shingo. He has quite a reputation over there. He is not covered on the news as much as Hideki and Ichiro, but they do show when he completes a save for the Sox.

Yes, Asian fans (well Japanese fans) would be more likely to come to the cell. I actually was in the states for his first save and talked to a few Japanese people there to watch him play. They love baseball, and love their players that play in the states. Even So Taguchi brings fans to the ball park.

I'd love the Sox to get Iguchi for 2b and Cora for Utility.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 03:37 AM)
Hell the Sox can't get enough fans in the US but they are huge in Canada eh? [/color=green] :D  :bang

I've been a fan for over 40 years and have never actually met one face to face. Mind you there is a lot of open space here!