2005 Batting Order???

Manrique's Mustache

Speaking at a fan seminar Saturday at SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency, Guillen sounded set on a lineup of Podsednik leading off, followed by shortstop Juan Uribe, right fielder Jermaine Dye, first baseman Paul Konerko, designated hitter Carl Everett, Rowand, catcher A.J. Pierzynski, third baseman Joe Crede and second baseman Willie Harris.

This line-up seems a bit off to me. I don't see how Rowand is not batting second. He deserves the shot for more AB's after last year hitting over .300. He should be swaped with Uribe.

QUOTE(Manrique's Mustache @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Speaking at a fan seminar Saturday at SoxFest at the Hyatt Regency, Guillen sounded set on a lineup of Podsednik leading off, followed by shortstop Juan Uribe, right fielder Jermaine Dye, first baseman Paul Konerko, designated hitter Carl Everett, Rowand, catcher A.J. Pierzynski, third baseman Joe Crede and second baseman Willie Harris.

This line-up seems a bit off to me. I don't see how Rowand is not batting second. He deserves the shot for more AB's after last year hitting over .300. He should be swaped with Uribe.

Welcome to soxtalk :cheers

Your right, Rowand should not be batting so far down. He should be at #2 or #3.

The ideal line up should be something like this:

Pods

Rowand

Dye

Koney

Everett

Aj

uribe

Joe

harris

or

Pods

uribe

Rowand

koney

Dye

Everett

Aj

joe

harris

QUOTE(Manrique's Mustache @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)

First off welcome aboard.

Secondly, I think this lineup is relatively accurate simply because the White Sox want to move Rowand into a more production oriented position and having him hitting 6th is simply a benefit of the fact that this lineup has that type of ability.

However, I think Rowands future spot will be the 3 hole, but I think the Sox want to give Ozzie some more time to develop into that spot. I do think that if Juan struggles, you'll quickly see Rowand back in the two hole.

But the offseason is not done, so we shall see. The thing that really upset me was Rowand being rumored to be the left fielder and not the centerfielder.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Welcome to soxtalk  :cheers

Your right, Rowand should not be batting so far down.  He should be at #2 or #3.

The ideal line up should be something like this:

Pods

Rowand

Dye

Koney

Everett

Aj

uribe

Joe

harris

or

Pods

uribe

Rowand

koney

Dye

Everett

Aj

joe

harris

I would put

Pods

Uribe

Konerko

Rowand

Dye

Everett

Pierzynski

Crede

Harris

And start buehrle

QUOTE(MarkB56 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
I would put

Pods

Uribe

Konerko

Rowand

Dye

Everett

Pierzynski

Crede

Harris

And start buehrle

No way, Konerko is purely a clean up hitter he belongs nowhere else. And if anyone were to replace him as clean up it would be Dye.

QUOTE(MarkB56 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
I might be wrong but wasnt rowand the highest avg. on the team? So if pods or any one in front of rowand gets on he can drive them in.

You dont necessarily put the guy with the highest avg. in the clean up spot. You put the guy there who will drive in the most runs... thats not rowand. Its konerko.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
You dont necessarily put the guy with the highest avg. in the clean up spot.  You put the guy there who will drive in the most runs... thats not rowand.  Its konerko.

I completely agree. That's how you use the power holes in the lineup(3,4,5). Rowand does have as much power. 6 or 2 is perfect for him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Miguel Cairo up until June had a higher BA than Derek Jeter, if you were Joe Torre, would you put Cairo in the 2 hole instead of Jeter?

You are right. I made a mistake on this one. But rowand was batting all over last year and lead off batted 2nd and also lower in the order. So he did not have that many chances at the #2 hole.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
Miguel Cairo up until June had a higher BA than Derek Jeter, if you were Joe Torre, would you put Cairo in the 2 hole instead of Jeter?

Or if you were the Orioles would you put melvin mora in the clean-up spot over Miguel tejada just because mora has a better avg? Hell no Tejada had 150 RBI.

The lineup needed to be put in place this way to be able to break up righty's and lefty's.

I think Rowand will be fine down in the 6 hole and if Uribe plays like he is capable, you'll see a lot of Podsednik lead off hits, followed by a steal and then Juan knocking in Scott.

I like our lineup without Frank, the scary part will be when he comes back healthy and is thrown in there in place of Carl. Our lineup will be very, very good at that point.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
COuld you imagine how bad the defense on the right side of the infield would be with a Jurassic/Pauly tandem.

Some guy at the Sunday Q&A suggested moving Pauly to 3rd and starting Frank at first. Now can you imagine starting Carl at 2nd on top of that? :chair