Local Celebrities' Allegiance

retro1983hat

I have tried to breakdown those pseudo celebrities in the Chicago area and I think I can determine which baseball team in town they root for.

Let me know if I am wrong or who else you can think of.

WHITE SOX

Steve Dahl

Bruce Wolf

Mike North

Dan Jiggetts

Dan McNeil

Fred Heubner

Eric Fergeson (101.9 Mornings)

Kevin Matthews

Wendy Snyder

Dan Bernstein

Jonathon Hood

Phil Rosenthal (Sun-Times TV guy)

Richard Roeper

John Kass

Mayor Daley

Cory McPherrin

Mike Mulligan (Sun-Times columnist)

CUBS

Walter Jacobsen

Ron Rappaport (Sun-times columnist)

Jay Mariotti

Rick Telander

Mark Giangreco

Mike Murphy

George Offman

Bruce Levine

Harry Tiny-Nuts

Jurko

Barry Rozner (Daily Herald columnist)

Mark Suppelsa (Ch. 32)

Carol Slezak (Sun-times columnist)

and

Any other TV news person that didn't grow up in Chicago

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
Bernie Mac is a big White Sox fan... so much so that some of the lame Cub fans blame him for "cursing" them by singing the 7th inning stretch during one of the crucial NLCS games

Yes, I have heard this as well. I tried to stay away from national celebrities, because they are almost all Cub fans. (John Cusak, Jimmy Buffet, Joe Mantegna, etc.)

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 11:24 AM)
Yes, I have heard this as well. I tried to stay away from national celebrities, because they are almost all Cub fans. (John Cusak, Jimmy Buffet, Joe Mantegna, etc.)

Most national celebrities of any kind are hopeless trendies, and yes it seems true that most of our locals who went national root for the wriglies. I do seem to recall that Hannah Storm, who is from Oak Park I believe once pledged allegiance to the Sox.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Most national celebrities of any kind are hopeless trendies, and yes it seems true that most of our locals who went national root for the wriglies. I do seem to recall that Hannah Storm, who is from Oak Park I believe once pledged allegiance to the Sox.

I am a huge Sox fan and I wouldn't brag about having Hannah Storm on my side.

Watching these local TV stations cover Cub events is sickening. I would rather watch that old Geezer Sam Sianis f*** his goat than hear him talk about the curse or his horrible cheeseburgers one more time.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)

Watching these local TV stations cover Cub events is sickening. I would rather watch that old Geezer Sam Sianis f*** his goat than hear him talk about the curse or his horrible cheeseburgers on more time.

Yeah, but I'm sure if the Sox make it deep into the playoffs you will see many of the same celebs gooning around at the Cell... for most it's about publicity...

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)

Watching these local TV stations cover Cub events is sickening. I would rather watch that old Geezer Sam Sianis f*** his goat than hear him talk about the curse or his horrible cheeseburgers on more time.

Not bragging, just noting. I could give a flying fig about most sports journalists.

I thought he had jumped on the Scrub bandwagon. No real Sox fan would sing at Wrigley, I don't care how much pub it got you.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Bernie Mac is a big White Sox fan... so much so that some of the lame Cub fans blame him for "cursing" them by singing the 7th inning stretch during one of the crucial NLCS games

Bernie Mac is hilarious.

When he sang the song, I was with my girlfriends family who was all Cubs fans. My first remark was "Isnt Bernie Mac a Sox fan and from the South Side?"

Then when he started saying "Champs", I kept saying: "I think Bernie is trying to curse the Cubs."

Regardless of intent, I think Bernie singing the 7th inning will forever live as one of the greatest stretches of all time. ;)

SB

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
Tom Hanks? I am alomst positve he's a professed A's fan. He was in their piece for HBO on Bay sports in the 70's

I read that somewhere. I think it was mentioned when they were filming a League of there own

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Tom Hanks? I am alomst positve he's a professed A's fan. He was in their piece for HBO on Bay sports in the 70's

I saw an interview where Hanks talked about being a Cleveland Indian fan.

I guess the members of Styx are fans.

Hey, I don't want to sound jealous, but our celebrity fans are definitely outside the league of William Petersen, Jimmy Buffett, Bill Murray, John Cuasak and others.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
Tom Hanks is a Sox Fan. As well as the fat Guy on Cheers. And the Oak Bridge boys or whatever there name is.

George Wendt went to the same High School as my Dad for one semester (Norm got kicked out for bad grades.)

Rev. Jesse Jackson goes to a good amount of Sox games.

Cliff Floyd is a Sox fan, as is Mark Mulder (I see the Sox signing him after 2006.)

Jenny McCarthy (who is in this month's Playboy, and she still looks great) is a Sox fan as well.

Come on! Jay Mariotti, Rick Telander, and all of those sports writers are NOT fans of either team. If they are, it's anyone's guess.

Not sure about the others, but Mariotti grew up and is from Philadelphia. Why would he give two s***s about either team, or any Chicago team for that matter? His job is to be objective and provide viewpoints as he sees things without bias. I love reading his column every day. He tells things like it is and if it pisses people off, f*** 'em. He doesn't need to give a s***. I don't like when he disses the Sox, but he's just telling it like he sees it. So what? It doesn't influence whether I love the Sox or not.

Besides, I'm also a life-long, die-hard Packer fan and I LOVE his columns about the Bears. Pure reading enjoyment for me.

QUOTE(BlizzardOfOzzie @ Jan 20, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
Come on!  Jay Mariotti, Rick Telander, and all of those sports writers are NOT fans of either team.  If they are, it's anyone's guess. 

Not sure about the others, but Mariotti grew up and is from Philadelphia.  Why would he give two s***s about either team, or any Chicago team for that matter? 

Yeah mariotti is not a cubs fan.