Iguchi's agent submits new proposal

Cubs Suck23

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
spoken like a guy with true baseball experience, since turf makes fielding grounders so much easier......................... :bang

In case you haven't been reading through this thread

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
I realize that they are two completely different fielding apparatuses.  He's probably never charged a ball in his life, which is a must to get runners out at this level.

The Phillies likely won't be trading Polanco until the July deadline...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1971920

More Rumbling and Grumbling

Teams that have spoken with the Phillies report there has been some "tire kicking" from other clubs on Placido Polanco, who reluctantly took the Phillies' arbitration offer after turning down multiyear deals with the Cardinals and Indians.

Polanco got a one-year, $4.6-million contract out of it -- but that just figures to make him the best-paid utility player in baseball. So while Boston and Houston are among the clubs with interest in trading for him -- in combination with other moves -- Charlie Manuel is promising to get Polanco lots of at-bats at second base, third and even short. And the Phillies appear more inclined to use him as trade bait in July than in January.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
The Phillies likely won't be trading Polanco until the July deadline...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...yson&id=1971920

They will trade him whenever depending on the offer. He could possibly be traded before the season starts, would be better than him sitting on the bench doing nothing.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Prior accomplishments? 

in 2001 he hit 30 HR stole 44 bases and hit above .260 - not outstanding, but good

his last 2 years have been carrer years in most aspects.... im just saying hes worth a chance

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I think Kenny should split the difference between Iguchi's agent's proposal (2 years, $6 million) and his own (2 years, $4 million).  Offer Iguchi a 2-year, $5 million contract with a team option for 2007...

2005 - $2.5 million

2006 - $2.5 million

2007 - $4.0 million team option

That's a nice structure - I might even give Iguchi a $500k buyout for the 2007 option to guarantee Iguchi $5.75 million over 2 years. If he works out, great. If not, the $500k two years from now is pretty cheap.

Even if Iguchi puts up Matsui-type production at 2B, you probably can trade him for a prospect if you agree to eat $1 million of his salary. Matsui-type production (.331 OBP/ .370 SLG) at $1.5 million is cheap, cheap, cheap in MLB these days.

Mind you, you can convert Kaz Matsui's stats at Shea - a pitcher's park - to something more like .345/.400 at US Cellular, which makes him a more valuable player anyway.

Let's get this deal DONE.

In case you haven't been reading through this thread

probably, maybe, sound like good reasons to me. You dont think that baseball fundamentals are taught at all in japan??? The fact is, fielding on grass is not only easier for the fielders, but it gives them much more range on the ball. It would be alot easier for him to field the ball in grass, not to mention that the cell is regarded as one of the best fields condition-wise to play on.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
probably, maybe, sound like good reasons to me.  You dont think that baseball fundamentals are taught at all in japan???  The fact is, fielding on grass is not only easier for the fielders, but it gives them much more range on the ball.  It would be alot easier for him to field the ball in grass, not to mention that the cell is regarded as one of the best fields condition-wise to play on.

What gives me pause is all the trouble Kaz had in the field last year, and he was supposed to be a wiz. If grass were really just easier, he should have excelled.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
What gives me pause is all the trouble Kaz had in the field last year, and he was supposed to be a wiz.  If grass were really just easier, he should have excelled.

For every Kaz, there's an Ichiro.

For every Hideo Nomo, there's a Hideki Matsui.

Although it's important to consider the trends of Japanese ballplayers and their transition to the MLB, it's not eveything.

Its all about the individual. The Sox are the kind of team that needs to gamble on guys to compete with the big spenders.

Iguchi is a calculated risk that may or may not pay off. If he does, Kenny just signed the 2b of the future at a great rate. Worst case scenario: he flops, try and trade him for a prospect (per Chan Ho Park, etc.).

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
For every Kaz, there's an Ichiro.

For every Hideo Nomo, there's a Hideki Matsui.

Although it's important to consider the trends of Japanese ballplayers and their transition to the MLB, it's not eveything.

Its all about the individual.  The Sox are the kind of team that needs to gamble on guys to compete with the big spenders.

Iguchi is a calculated risk that may or may not pay off.  If he does, Kenny just signed the 2b of the future at a great rate.  Worst case scenario: he flops, try and trade him for a prospect (per Chan Ho Park, etc.).

Huh? I'm not suggesting all Japanese players are bad risks. If the scouts like him, I have no problem w/ the Sox signing him.

The reason I bring up Kaz's fielding is that these are both middle infielders, coming over mid-career. I wholly believe Kaz was a very good fielder in Japan. To play as horribly as he did last year, there has to be some problem adjusting. Since 2b requires roughly the same skills as ss (not exactly, but they are similar), it's useful information -- I'm not comparing them just b/c they're Japanese. Hideki's play in the field means squat for Taguchi, imo.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Huh?  I'm not suggesting all Japanese players are bad risks.  If the scouts like him, I have no problem w/ the Sox signing him.

The reason I bring up Kaz's fielding is that these are both middle infielders, coming over mid-career.  I wholly believe Kaz was a very good fielder in Japan.  To play as horribly as he did last year, there has to be some problem adjusting.  Since 2b requires roughly the same skills as ss (not exactly, but they are similar), it's useful information -- I'm not comparing them just b/c they're Japanese.  Hideki's play in the field means squat for Taguchi, imo.

At worst, Iguchi will be a 'costly' utility middle infielder, backing up both Uribe and Harris. Iguchi has played both 2B and SS, so he could default to such a role (assuming healthy shoulder(s)) if he does perform better than Harris. Either way, if signed, that means Valdez will be spending a good chunk of time in AAA for '05.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Huh?  I'm not suggesting all Japanese players are bad risks.  If the scouts like him, I have no problem w/ the Sox signing him.

The reason I bring up Kaz's fielding is that these are both middle infielders, coming over mid-career.  I wholly believe Kaz was a very good fielder in Japan.  To play as horribly as he did last year, there has to be some problem adjusting.  Since 2b requires roughly the same skills as ss (not exactly, but they are similar), it's useful information -- I'm not comparing them just b/c they're Japanese.  Hideki's play in the field means squat for Taguchi, imo.

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that.

There are posters who want to discard Iguchi based solely on what Kaz has/or hasn't done in NY. Perhaps Kaz doesn't have the necessary ability to translate his game in order to succeed in the MLB.

Remember: We have the "Sod Father" in Roger Bossard.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
Oh no, I didn't mean it like that.

There are posters who want to discard Iguchi based solely on what Kaz has/or hasn't done in NY.  Perhaps Kaz doesn't have the necessary ability to translate his game in order to succeed in the MLB.

Remember: We have the "Sod Father" in Roger Bossard.

Everything I heard about Kaz's fielding when he signed was glowing. From that, I find it hard to believe it's a question of ability, but jmho. And from watching him a few times, it seemed like he just couldn't break old habits (about charging the ball, or backhanding) -- that's what I worry about w/ Iguchi. But I trust the scouts know what they're doing, I have no problem w/ the Sox signing him.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
You do realize that fielding on turf is tougher than fielding on grass, right?

What are you talking about?

Field turf may play faster, but in no way is it tougher than grass. Grass gives you all types of odd hops all of the time, meanwhile, turf is fast and, for the most part, straight. Wasn't Kaz Matsui a defensive-wiz back in Japan? He sure didn't look like one in the majors, though...

Don't expect a defensive upgrade from Harris to Iguchi. No doubt, I'll take Harris any day of the week over Iguchi defensively, and I haven't even seen Iguchi play.

Let's just hope that he can make up for that with his stick...

EDIT: And Addison, I agree with you that Roger Bossard is a sod genious -- however, you have to agree with me that one is going to have to play more odd hops on grass than he will on turf, correct? Turf will play faster, making ones range factor seem worse -- but it won't give you those hops that hit a stone, or the cuff of the IF grass...

I'm all for signing Iguchi at 6M/2yrs, but for those who think that he is going to be our 2b of the future please let him have at least a few major league AB's before sending him to Cooperstown. Below average players have gone over to Japan and dominated, such as perenial all-star Tuffy Rhodes (mlb career .236 BA). If you take away Iguchi's last 2 years, he is mediocre, even in Japan. You don't just wake up one day and learn how to play.