ESPN's Rob Neyer's Top Ten LEAST improved teams

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
Dye was listed as a loss for Oakland, yet he didn't mention where he ended up, in addition to forgetting to mention Vizcaino, he didn't bother to mention the Hermanson signing either.

BTW, 2005 Dye> end of 2004 Magglio who would have costed a minimum of $11.2 million.

How the f*** is that not an upgrade?

Dye is not an upgrade over magglio --

VORP      

DYE MAGGS

2001 22.7 58.2

2002 18.0 68.0

2003 -17.2 63.2

2004 23.3 11.8

avg 11.7 50.3

Hermanson does not deserve to be mentioned(what a waste)... Vizcaino is a decent pick up, but if you're hanging your offseason on the signing of a middle reliever than you're in trouble.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
Dye is not an upgrade over magglio --

VORP      

DYE     MAGGS

2001   22.7      58.2

2002   18.0      68.0

2003  -17.2      63.2

2004   23.3      11.8

avg    11.7      50.3

Hermanson does not deserve to be mentioned(what a waste)... Vizcaino is a decent pick up, but if you're hanging your offseason on the signing of a middle reliever than you're in trouble.

I specifically wrote "2005 Dye>end of 2004 Magglio " So those win shares and VORP stats become even more meaningless when you consider that the Magglio at the end of 2004 is not the same Maggs who put up great numbers from 2001-2003. Jermaine Dye of 2005 will not be the same Jermaine as 2003.

Hermanson had an ERA of 3.08 after he became a member of a bullpen on the last day of the season. He had a meltdown, and it inflated his ERA to 4.33. Look what he did in his first month of the bullpen.

ERA: 3.21 and a WHIP of 1.14.

It's already been proven Neyer's an idiot. Since all this top 10 off-season crap is about looking good on paper the Sox are giving up about 2 dozen rbi & 2 dozen runs from the 04 team. That's all. They are shaving off about 6 dozen rbi & 6 dozen runs on the pitching & D side.

It's an upgrade. It's likewise obvious he forgot all about the Dye signing.

Which is amazing considering that the Sporting News considered that signing the biggest bargain this winter. They expect a big year out of Dye.

We don't need to listen to some stupid journalist who has no intelligence whatsoever.

Seriously, I mean, we don't base our opinions off writers for ESPN or for any media, we should base it off what we want to think. Its all about our mindset on things.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
I stepped in and voiced my opinion, Cheat. Let me think what I want to think...okay pal? jebus.

You can do so without saying, "....some stupid journalist who has no intelligence." It makes you seem a lot more credible, but that's JMHO...

If it's non-credibility you want, though...

EDIT: BTW - Cheat, I probably should do this in a PM, but since you're in the thread, I figured I'd ask. I've been reading more and more of the baseball blogs lately, and wanted to get your recomendation on some of the Sox blogs. I've enjoyed reading BaseballThinkFactory as well as "Exile in Wrigleyville", yours, as well as MRKARNO's 1917spot blog. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
I stepped in and voiced my opinion, Cheat. Let me think what I want to think...okay pal? jebus.

OK -- Just let the record show that you've called one of the smartest, most respected, baseball minds there is a "stupid journalist who has no intelligence whatsoever" -- That doesn't exactly reflect well on your opinion, which you have to admit is clouded by a pair of think silver and black glasses.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
OK -- Just let the record show that you've called one of the smartest, most respected, baseball minds there is a "stupid journalist who has no intelligence whatsoever" -- That doesn't exactly reflect well on your opinion, which you have to admit is clouded by a pair of think silver and black glasses.

Well I don't agree with him. My point being that article is absurd, and that we tend to listen to what these writers say TOO much.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
We don't need to listen to some stupid journalist who has no intelligence whatsoever.

Seriously, I mean, we don't base our opinions off writers for ESPN or for any media, we should base it off what we want to think. Its all about our mindset on things.

Don't you want to be a writer?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Relax, sometimes its just in the delivery. Write like a writer not like a teenager. i am not picking on you.

You aren't, however, the others most certainly are, I write like a teenager on these boards, and write like a writer on other boards.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Beastly does have some point in the fact that we are NOWHERE near a bottom 10 offseason, thats absurd.

Willie, I agree that I don't think we're in the bottom 10... but like the Rozner column the other day, I think this one touches a little nerve... I don't think we're as improved as much as most here think...

Earlier in the off-season, I used the quote "that's like moving around the deck chairs on the Titanic" -- Which at the time was exactly how I felt... Currently I would say we've added a few lifeboats. We've improved a little bit, but the ship's probably still gonna sink..

I still think we have a good shot at winning the division, but that's not saying much.

Willie, I agree that I don't think we're in the bottom 10... but like the Rozner column the other day, I think this one touches a little nerve... I don't think we're as improved as much as most here think...

Earlier in the off-season, I used the quote "that's like moving around the deck chairs on the Titanic" -- Which at the time was exactly how I felt... Currently I would say we've added a few lifeboats.  We've improved a little bit, but the ship's probably still gonna sink..

I still think we have a good shot at winning the division, but that's not saying much.

Yours is an interesting point of view.

The team appears set up for their desired change in direction, from a slugging inconsistent outfit to a force-the-action squad.

IMO they will not be afraid to make additions or changes if this team gets out of the gate poorly. Sox management is getting a reputation of taking action during the season, sometimes drastic action.

My concern all along has been depth. We lack infield depth and starting pitching depth. There is still time to sort this out during spring training, but the article being debated was probably written at least a week ago.

I suspect they know they have more work to do, and are proceeding trying to get it done.

Sox made a big upgrade at catcher and the OF defense is improved, especially range. Most importantly the pitching staff is deeper and you have a very credible 1-5 rotation.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 31, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
Yours is an interesting point of view.

The team appears set up for their desired change in direction, from a slugging inconsistent outfit to a force-the-action squad.

IMO they will not be afraid to make additions or changes if this team gets out of the gate poorly.  Sox management is getting a reputation of taking action during the season, sometimes drastic action.

My concern all along has been depth.  We lack infield depth and starting pitching depth.  There is still time to sort this out during spring training, but the article being debated was probably written at least a week ago.

I suspect they know they have more work to do, and are proceeding trying to get it done.

My POV is that kenny did a good job doing what he wanted to get done, but I'm not sold on that being the best route for this team. For our sakes for the next two plus season, I hope he proves me wrong...

He's the one with a front office job in major league baseball, not me... There's a reason for that, (I think :P ) --

For the record, I still think that picking up Pierzynski is the best move/pick-up for any team this year... Left handed catchers who hit .300 aren't growing on trees, and when you find one they cost more than $2M.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 01:05 AM)
My POV is that kenny did a good job doing what he wanted to get done, but I'm not sold on that being the best route for this team.  For our sakes for the next two plus season, I hope he proves me wrong...

He's the one with a front office job in major league baseball, not me... There's a reason for that, (I think  :P ) --

For the record, I still think that picking up Pierzynski is the best move/pick-up for any team this year... Left handed catchers who hit .300 aren't growing on trees, and when you find one they cost more than $2M.

I somewhat agree with your assessment. it certianly is an interesting one, I truly think its predicated on everyone actually coming through. We have no room for error, as Jim stated we lack depth. If something goes wrong with 2 of our players it will be a long year. If pods hits 230 for example and Contraras is inconsistant we have a problem. Everything must come together for this to be right because we have nobody that can spot start and make a difference.

we have nobody that can spot start and make a difference.

If Hermanson fills that role, there's a hole being created in the pen.

KW has always wanted to build a pitching staff 15-16 deep. I can name 15 guys who have ML experience and who are vying for a spot on this staff:

RH: Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, Garland, Takatsu, Hermanson, Vizcaino, Politte, Adkins, Bajenaru, Diaz

LH: Buehrle, Marte, Cotts, Walker, Munoz

There is 16 and I'm sure I'm missing someone. I still don't see depth at starting pitching ... yes, they have five but it is foolhardy to think none of these guys will miss a start or even extended time (example El Duque).

They still have spring training to get a few arms in the system but I am surprised they haven't brought a few more arms in via invites. Leave the good prospects at AA and stack Charlotte with some guys who can capably fill in. Maybe one of the young guys will finally step up but then again that's another question mark.

QUOTE(JimH @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
If Hermanson fills that role, there's a hole being created in the pen.

KW has always wanted to build a pitching staff 15-16 deep.  I can name 15 guys who have ML experience and who are vying for a spot on this staff:

RH:  Garcia, Contreras, Hernandez, Garland, Takatsu, Hermanson, Vizcaino, Politte, Adkins, Bajenaru, Diaz

LH:  Buehrle, Marte, Cotts, Walker, Munoz

There is 16 and I'm sure I'm missing someone.  I still don't see depth at starting pitching ... yes, they have five but it is foolhardy to think none of these guys will miss a start or even extended time (example El Duque).

They still have spring training to get a few arms in the system but I am surprised they haven't brought a few more arms in via invites.  Leave the good prospects at AA and stack Charlotte with some guys who can capably fill in.  Maybe one of the young guys will finally step up but then again that's another question mark.

Ok so you are agreeing with me that they don't have anyone that can spot start and make a difference? Your like switzerland.