Podsednik and steals

BamaDoc

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
I have not seen him in action.  What allows him to steal so well?  Blinding speed, great reads, great acceleration or some combination of the above?

Good lead-offs, very fast, and he is not hesitant to steal.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
I think he's going to be a lot of fun to watch this year.

Definitely his speed and good reads off the pitcher. I saw a game ones on WGN Cubs vs. Brewers where he stole third easily. Cant wait to see him play.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Pods is going to be fun to watch.  I dont expect him to steal 70 but maybe 60.  He gets great reads and is very fast.  He isnt as fast as some guys but he is the smartest base stealer in the league.

I would say beltran is the smartest base stealer as much as i think he is overated. He has been safe over 90% of the time in his career. That is just about as good as it gets.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
I would say beltran is the smartest base stealer as much as i think he is overated. He has been safe over 90% of the time in his career. That is just about as good as it gets.

Abreu is a great base stealer too, 40 sb only 5 cs last season. 88%.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Abreu is a great base stealer too, 40 sb only 5 cs last season. 88%.

He is a good base stealer for the type of hitter he is. He has 210 steals and 69 times he was caught. Beltran has 192 steals and has only be caught 23 times. His rookie year he was caught the most time of his career, eight times.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)

that is as good as it gets, but beltran is also an oppertunistic base stealer, running only on the pitchers easier to run on. gusy like pierre and podsednik have it much harder, in that opposing catchers and pitchers know they are gonna steal all the time, and pierre and pods run on the good pitchers/catchers and on the bad

QUOTE(daa84 @ Feb 6, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
that is as good as it gets, but beltran is also an oppertunistic base stealer, running only on the pitchers easier to run on. gusy like pierre and podsednik have it much harder, in that opposing catchers and pitchers know they are gonna steal all the time, and pierre and pods run on the good pitchers/catchers and on the bad

Last year Juan Pierre stole 45 bases and was caught 24 times. Beltran Stole 42 bases and was caught 3 times. So Beltran picks proper times to steal instead of just running all the time and getting thrown out over half the time. I'd rather have a guy who picks his spots and stays on base than I guy who just runs all the time and is taking himself off the basebath 50 something percent of the time.

A lot of what Pods does SB-wise depends on his OBP, obviously.

In 2003, w/ an OBP of .379, Pods goes 43-10 on the basepathes (81%)

In 2004, w/ an OBP of .313, Pods goes 70-13 on the basepathes (84%)

So, the guy steals 33 more bags with an OBP 66 pts lower. How the hell can one forecast/trend from that?

I think all anyone can do is speculate and guesstimate. I'm going to throw out a ceiling of .375/75-15 and a floor of .330/45-10. Then again, he could run rampant and steal 80+ with either a .380 OBP or .315 OBP. *shrugs*

A lot of what Pods does SB-wise depends on his OBP, obviously.

In 2003, w/ an OBP of .379, Pods goes 43-10 on the basepathes (81%)

In 2004, w/ an OBP of .313, Pods goes 70-13 on the basepathes (84%)

So, the guy steals 33 more bags with an OBP 66 pts lower. How the hell can one forecast/trend from that?

I think all anyone can do is speculate and guesstimate. I'm going to throw out a ceiling of .375/75-15 and a floor of .330/45-10. Then again, he could run rampant and steal 80+ with either a .380 OBP or .315 OBP.  *shrugs*

Again I really think we need to look at which pitcher's he stole the bases against because that's a big factor in all of this. It could just be the change in rotations in the NLC in 04 led to many more opportunities.

One thing for certain he will have a field day vs CLE. They are horrible in defending the SB. Gave up 117 last year. Worst by far in the ALC.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 7, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Again I really think we need to look at which pitcher's he stole the bases against because that's a big factor in all of this.  It could just be the change in rotations in the NLC in 04 led to many more opportunities.

One thing for certain he will have a field day vs CLE.  They are horrible in defending the SB.  Gave up 117 last year.  Worst by far in the ALC.

What was Victor Martinez's CS%? I thought he was pretty decent at throwing guys out.