Johan's Contract Situation

Whitewashed in '05

With a lot of the rumors lately about Johan having trouble getting a contract done with the Twinkies, do you think he will be with them after 05? They are a small market team and he could command a good 11m+ a year if he puts up cy caliber numbers again. With that in mind, will the Twins lock him up or trade him for some "cant miss" pitching prospects?

I really dont know about his contract status but I have heard he could hit the FA market. I know its a pipe dream but could he end up on the south side? With Ozzie and his shaky relationship towards the Twins organization is there a real chance we can get him? Again I don't know about his contract status so when is the earliest he can become a FA?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
If he has another two years like last year the sox will not be even close to signing him. He will be in 12-15 million dollar range. I think they trade him after this season. Better than letting him walk for free, right?

Yeah I also see them pulling an Oakland A's.

IMO if he has another CY young year he'd laugh at an offer of 11 Mil a year. He'll be commanding Randy Johnson type money. IMO the twins won't sign him and I doubt he'll be in the central. It'll be between the teams with the deep pockets and the teams with players coming off the payroll (cubs for instance.)

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
IMO if he has another CY young year he'd laugh at an offer of 11 Mil a year. He'll be commanding Randy Johnson type money. IMO the twins won't sign him and I doubt he'll be in the central. It'll be between the teams with the deep pockets and the teams with players coming off the payroll (cubs for instance.)

if its the cubs.i would then have to kill myself :chair

If they trade him they can end up getting some good talent. Then the kids they get can come up and be a total sox killers... God I hate that, every opposing rookie kicks our ass but our rookies always get their asses kicked.

I wish our farm system was like thiers. They picked up that Eric Munson guy from the Tigs incase Cuddyer faulters. They made a good pickup with him because hes not good defensivley and has a poor avg. Good power numbers and RBI's, I think just a little time in their farm system and he could end up being a good player.

They won't trade him in my opinion. Pennat contenders usually don't make this type of move (like us with Maggs last year). I think they hold him as long as they can. When exactly is he free? If it happens to be when Contreras and Duque come off the books, I bet we'd look into it. Unfortunately, JR probably wouldn't go 4 years for Johanamania

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
They won't trade him in my opinion. Pennat contenders usually don't make this type of move (like us with Maggs last year). I think they hold him as long as they can. When exactly is he free? If it happens to be when Contreras and Duque come off the books, I bet we'd look into it. Unfortunately, JR probably wouldn't go 4 years for Johanamania

He is a free agent in the 2006-2007 season. I am sure we would have interest in him. Hell the reds, expos, devil rays, etc would all have interest in him too. But that surely does not mean they are serious about getting him.

Rotoworld.com

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Twins' latest offer to Johan Santana was worth nearly $40 million over four years and included an option for a fifth year.

Roy Halladay received $42 million over four years after his Cy Young season. Santana certainly won't settle for less. Feb. 9 - 2:40 pm et

Source: St. Paul Pioneer Press

They did step up with a pretty good offer, if i was him i'd take it.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
He can just as easily get injured, lose his stuff, etc. Nothing is a given, I'll take the guaranteed $40 million and look to score big next time around.

For some reason i don't think he is looking at it that way. Just a hunch.

QUOTE(mac9001 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
He can just as easily get injured, lose his stuff, etc. Nothing is a given, I'll take the guaranteed $40 million and look to score big next time around.

Santana has all the leverage. Judging from his cy-young performance last season, Johan has fully rehabilitated his shoulder. While 40 million is a stationary figure bound to increase, Santana deserves nothing short of a 'home-discounted' 36mil/3yrs.

Hopefully Boras is whispering "100 million dollar contract" down his neck.

I got a crazy feeling that they will do what the Astros did this year for Carlos Beltran...that is, free up money everywhere and anywhere to get him locked up long term. Unfortunately, Houston came up about just short, and Boras went to the money again(SHOCKER).

I think they will do whatever it takes to get him locked up. He is the type of guy you can build a franchise around. You trade Hunter, Jones, Radke, Nathan, Romero...anyone making any type of money...and get him locked up.

That said...I hope they lose him...and at the same time, crazy as it sounds, I don't. I hate the way baseball works. The Twins come up with Johan, this absolute stud of a pitcher, and because they can't afford him, he goes elsewhere.

Makes me sick.

I highly doubt he is going to end up resigning with the Twins. If Pavano gets 10 mil a year, this guy can rape some team. A left-handed starter with a mid 90's fastball and a wicked change? If he does anywhere near as well as he did this year I'd be shocked if he got less than $14 mil a year. He'll end up with whoever throws the most money at him, which will probably come down to the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, Houston and Baltimore (luckily the Cubs are going to have their own problems with Prior and Zambrano in the near future).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 01:31 AM)
I got a crazy feeling that they will do what the Astros did this year for Carlos Beltran...that is, free up money everywhere and anywhere to get him locked up long term.  Unfortunately, Houston came up about just short, and Boras went to the money again(SHOCKER).

I think they will do whatever it takes to get him locked up.  He is the type of guy you can build a franchise around.  You trade Hunter, Jones, Radke, Nathan, Romero...anyone making any type of money...and get him locked up.

That said...I hope they lose him...and at the same time, crazy as it sounds, I don't.  I hate the way baseball works.  The Twins come up with Johan, this absolute stud of a pitcher, and because they can't afford him, he goes elsewhere. 

Makes me sick.

Unfortunately, this is the way of the world. It sucks.

There's a big difference. They have 2 more arbit yrs with him. It's been said all a long that he's looking for a Halladay contract because of the Cy Young comparison. That was 42/4 & the Twins are up to 40/4 so I think they'll get it done.

It's bad news for the Sox but then we're aiming for a WS & not just the div.

To be the best you need to beat the best. Facing Santa yr after yr will make us a better & tougher team. At least that's the theory ;)

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 10, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
There's a big difference.  They have 2 more arbit yrs with him.  It's been said all a long that he's looking for a Halladay contract because of the Cy Young comparison.  That was 42/4 & the Twins are up to 40/4 so I think they'll get it done.

It's bad news for the Sox but then we're aiming for a WS & not just the div.

To be the best you need to beat the best.  Facing Santa yr after yr will make us a better & tougher team.  At least that's the theory ;)

Well after this this upvoming arbitration he only has one more year. Also, all i has seen is he will settle for no less than halladay money. That does not mean that is what he is looking for.