Tapes say bush smoked marijuana

Chisoxmatt

Full Article

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush indicated in interviews secretly taped by a friend before he became president that he had used marijuana but would not admit it for fear of setting a bad example for children.

Portions of the tapes, recorded from 1998 to 2000 by author Doug Wead without Bush's knowledge, were aired on ABC News on Sunday and published by The New York Times. Their authenticity was verified by the media outlets but has not been independently checked by Reuters.

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana question. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried," Bush purportedly says on the tape.

He added: "But you got to understand, I want to be president. I want to lead. I want to set -- Do you want your little kid say, 'Hey, Daddy, President Bush tried marijuana, I think I will?"'

In the tape, Bush mocks former Vice President Al Gore -- who fought him for the presidency in 2000 -- for admitting he smoked marijuana.

White House officials did not dispute the tapes' veracity and indicated the president was disappointed by their release.

"These were casual conversations that then Gov. Bush was having with someone he thought was a friend, and that's what they are," White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters traveling with Bush to Europe aboard Air Force One.

I dont think anyone is very suprised at this.

Edited by Chisoxmatt

so now all of you hippie-ultra-liberal-pro-legalization-of-gay-marriage-and-every-drug-know-to-man-kind-communists can tell us why George W. Bush is a bad person for smoking pot....

I hate when adults use discernment when discussing mistakes, such as pre-marital sex or drug use.

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana question. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried," Bush purportedly says on the tape.

Horses***! This dude probably smoked on a regular basis for years, got bored with it, and moved on to cocaine. That's what all the geniuses do.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
It would be interesting to find out how people that decided to vote for Bush based on Moral Values and the like react to this.

The Christianity Argument is going to start again real soon me thinks..........

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
It would be interesting to find out how people that decided to vote for Bush based on Moral Values and the like react to this.

Smoking weed has nothing to do with morals, but I understand what you are saying. I will never know why Bush won the election on morals.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
Smoking weed has nothing to do with morals, but I understand what you are saying.  I will never know why Bush won the election on morals.

I wasn't a big GWB fan until John Kerry came along..but at least Bush pretended to care about the issues that feel are important. It shouldn't be difficult at all to see it from that perspective.

I don't think it's much of a moral thing as an inteligence thing. Many of you don't get it because you're still kids (under 22 is still a kid). Parents don't need to use their mistakes as bargaining chips for their kids to behave. Kids don't need a friend, they need authority and someone to hold them accountable. That's what f-ed up about our society over the last 20 years. Who cares what John Kerry did to get out of Vietnam, Who cares what George Bush did while on the path to discovering himself?

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
I wasn't a big GWB fan until John Kerry came along..but at least Bush pretended to care about the issues that feel are important. It shouldn't be difficult at all to see it from that perspective.

I don't think it's much of a moral thing as an inteligence thing. Many of you don't get it because you're still kids (under 22 is still a kid). Parents don't need to use their mistakes as bargaining chips for their kids to behave. Kids don't need a friend, they need authority and someone to hold them accountable. That's what f-ed up about our society over the last 20 years. Who cares what John Kerry did to get out of Vietnam, Who cares what George Bush did while on the path to discovering himself?

I don't see how that has anything to do with morals?

I don't care that he tried it. Good for him. Its less harmful than the booze and coke he was usin' and abusin'.

What I do care about is that he tried it and then feels that since he got away with it, he can promote Draconian drug law policies that are absolutely insane *cough Operation Pipe Dreams cough*. For good stuff about the war on drugs, check out "Why Our Drug Laws Have Failed & What We Can Do About Them: A Judicial Indictment of the War on Drugs" by Judge James P. Gray.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
I don't see how that has anything to do with morals?

I don't get it. That was my point. Heads22 was saying that it WAS about morals, and I think it has to do more with just plain common sense. Kids don't gain anything from their parent's mistakes. I'd quote scripture, but I might get banned

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
well why i never have and never will smoke marijuana i dont really hold it against him.. its more the DUI he got when he was in the 40's and than tried to pass it off as he was young.....  :banghead

From what I've read he was 30.

Edited by KipWellsFan