Sox Sign 17

LostInBoston

From Trib

The White Sox have no remaining unsigned players in camp after agreeing to terms on 2005 contracts with 17 players Monday.

The following pitchers signed: Jon Adkins, Jeff Bajenaru, Neal Cotts, Felix Diaz, Kris Honel, Bobby Jenks, Arnie Munoz, Paulino Reynoso, Matt Smith and Sean Tracey. Infielders that signed were Joe Crede, Ross Gload, Willie Harris, Pedro Lopez, Casey Rogowski and Wilson Valdez. And outfielder Joe Borchard also agreed to a contract.

QUOTE(BridgeportHeather @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 05:39 AM)
Does anyone know the terms to which Cotts signed?

And, what's Honel's chances of playing in the bigs this summer?  September call-up?  Wait til next year???

Neil is entitled to a 10% raise or $330,000 if he makes the 25 man.

IMO Honel's chances are slim to none but we'll wait and see about September.

Contract details here;

Third baseman Joe Crede, first baseman Ross Gload and former Providence Catholic High School pitcher Kris Honel were among 17 players who reached contract agreements for this season Monday.

Crede signed a one-year, $400,000 contract, while Gload agreed to a one-year, $335,000 deal.

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
:unsure: can some one please explain to me what the situation with these contracts were... Because I didnt think anyone was a free agent or arbitration eligable??? whats goin on  :crying

It happens every spring. The guys that are not arbitration eligible basically sign fopr what the Sox tell them to, within the bounds of the CBA. And it's not just the Sox, it's every team.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
It happens every spring.  The guys that are not arbitration eligible basically sign fopr what the Sox tell them to, within the bounds of the CBA.  And it's not just the Sox, it's every team.

ok... I'm getting closer can someone please elaberate.. am i the only one who is lost here?

QUOTE(joemg311 @ Mar 1, 2005 -> 11:02 PM)
ok... I'm getting closer can someone please elaberate.. am i the only one who is lost here?

Elaboration:

The young players are considered to be property of the White Sox, until they fulfill certain major league length of service conditions, then the become eligible for free agency if they are not bound by contract. Along the way, guys reach a ML service level and become arbitration eligible. These signees are not to that point yet. Basically, they are in a situation like many of us in the regard that they go to boss who says we are giving you X$ raise this year.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 02:13 AM)
Because YASNY lost even me, in simplest terms.

Players are property of one team for their first 6 years in the majors.  They become arbitration eligible after three seasons.  The first three seasons they make near league minimum.  That is the case for most of the 17 who were signed.

Oh well. I tried. :huh :gosox1:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Oh well.  I tried. :huh :gosox1:

Don't worry about it. I've got really poor reading comprehension.(My ACT scores in HS went something like this. Math 32, Science 30, Other Category 27, Reading 12) So I tried to dumb it down because I know I didn't follow, and I thought I had a solid grasp of the concept.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
Don't worry about it.  I've got really poor reading comprehension.(My ACT scores in HS went something like this.  Math 32, Science 30, Other Category 27, Reading 12)  So I tried to dumb it down because I know I didn't follow, and I thought I had a solid grasp of the concept.

And you do. But since I'm a nice guy, I'll type slower from now on. :lol:

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
Don't worry about it.  I've got really poor reading comprehension.(My ACT scores in HS went something like this.  Math 32, Science 30, Other Category 27, Reading 12)  So I tried to dumb it down because I know I didn't follow, and I thought I had a solid grasp of the concept.

Yasny's so old his Math ACT was XXVIII.

Ok thanks guys it is becoming much more clear. But what is to stop the sox from giving everyone of those players the league minimum? Is it just good will and buisness and about keeping people happy to set up for the future the reason they give people more money? or are the raises in contract?

Edited by joemg311