Terri Shaivo thread

JUGGERNAUT

What should be done for Schiavo?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done for Schiavo?

• Pull - Remove the feeding tube which would result in starvation
    • Kill - Dying of starvation is a painful process. We can not rule out that Terri has active pain receptors still working in her brain.
    • Pump - Keep the feeding tube in place

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
My next question is why is no one questioning the parents motives?  With the links to bullemia, there might be some stuff to go off.  There could very well have been abuse, and wanting to keep her alive could be an appeasement of their guilt.  Why are we only questioning the husband here?

IMo, it's beyond placing blame. If someone were to start looking into it.. what would it prove? Do the parents deserve to be implicated in a crime that caused her condition...? IMO, there's no need for that. What's done is done.. can't be fixed. A shame..

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
IMo, it's beyond placing blame. If someone were to start looking into it.. what would it prove? Do the parents deserve to be implicated in a crime that caused her condition...? IMO, there's no need for that. What's done is done.. can't be fixed. A shame..

Many people are exploring the husbands life, and using his actions to justify what should or shouldn't be done to Terri. I wonder why this isn't a two way street? Why aren't the parents actions beign explored, since the husband's seem to be so important?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Many people are exploring the husbands life, and using his actions to justify what should or shouldn't be done to Terri.  I wonder why this isn't a two way street?  Why aren't the parents actions beign explored, since the husband's seem to be so important?

I hear ya.. It's all over this thread. JMO that I don't see the point.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Many people are exploring the husbands life, and using his actions to justify what should or shouldn't be done to Terri.  I wonder why this isn't a two way street?  Why aren't the parents actions beign explored, since the husband's seem to be so important?

What are their possible negative motives for keeping her alive? That's why I believe they haven't been mentioned. They are praying, begging, that *nothing* be done. The husband wants something done (the feeding tube removed).

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
I hear ya.. It's all over this thread. JMO that I don't see the point.

I believe the point is, if he is going to profit or benefit from her death in some way, he wouldn't be the best person to make that decision. For me it comes to the moral authority he has over her life. He is more powerful than any person on the planet right now. He alone can stop this and have the feeding tube reinstated. He is more powerful than the President, the Pope, and any other human that wants her saved.

We question people's motivations all the time in these situations.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
What are their possible negative motives for keeping her alive? That's why I believe they haven't been mentioned. They are praying, begging, that *nothing* be done. The husband wants something done (the feeding tube removed).

Tex.. what's wth asking the same question over and over and over again...?? Obviously none of us are able to give you an answer to satisfaction..

A bit of new news.. CNN is reporting that Jeb is "taking" custody of her..

How nice of him to take on this cause...

All the while..

Florida's children are disappearing at the hands of sexual predators at an alarming rate.... These children, if it weren't for the sexual predators - not their employers :rolly -, have every expectation to grow up and live long and meaningful lives... Terri, tragically, no longer has that expectation...nor does she want to be kept alive by artifical means, according to her husband and 22 courts... I believe the children do want to live...and artifical means are not needed for them...

Why isn't Jeb Bush concentrating on reclaiming control over Florida's parole system, the 25,000 registered sexual offenders and hunting down the 20% (5,000) of them who are not accounted for??? Why isn't he dedicating whatever is needed to strengthen the sentencing laws for sexual offenders? Why isn't he doing everything possible to keep these predators off of our streets and away from our children???

Why does Jeb Bush work a 9 - 5 normal day when the only problems Florida has are missing children, missing parolees, and missing foster kids? Yet, is willing to roll up his sleeves and burn the midnight oil to save the life of a woman whom his judges have decided clearly wants to die??

Jeb Bush - order your legislature back into session and do something to save our children! Let's ask Jessica's father, Mark Lunsford, Sheriff Dawsy, and John Walsh, what they think Jeb Bush should be working on tonight....and tomorrow and the next day...

Since this is Jeb's last term...does he want to leave a legacy of interferring with Terri's right to die and trying to save someone who doesn't want to be saved or should he want a legacy of keeping children safe? They have a "right to life," also...

Sigh....

Stepping down now.

Sorry.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
I believe the point is, if he is going to profit or benefit from her death in some way, he wouldn't be the best person to make that decision. For me it comes to the moral authority he has over her life. He is more powerful than any person on the planet right now. He alone can stop this and have the feeding tube reinstated. He is more powerful than the President, the Pope, and any other human that wants her saved.

We question people's motivations all the time in these situations.

Ehem...

I don't see the point in going back in time to investigate if the parents had done something to inadvertantly cause her to be in this condition.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:28 AM)
Tex.. what's wth asking the same question over and over and over again...?? Obviously none of us are able to give you an answer to satisfaction..

A bit of new news.. CNN is reporting that Jeb is "taking" custody of her..

How nice of him to take on this cause... 

All the while..

Florida's children are disappearing at the hands of sexual predators at an alarming rate.... These children, if it weren't for the sexual predators - not their employers  :rolly -, have every expectation to grow up and live long and meaningful lives... Terri, tragically, no longer has that expectation...nor does she want to be kept alive by artifical means... I believe the children do want to live...and artifical means are not needed for them...

Why isn't Jeb Bush concentrating on reclaiming control over Florida's parole system, the 25,000 registered sexual offenders and hunting down the 20% (5,000) of them who are not accounted for??? Why isn't he dedicating whatever is needed to strengthen the sentencing laws for sexual offenders? Why isn't he doing everything possible to keep these predators off of our streets and away from our children???

Why does Jeb Bush work a 9 - 5 normal day when the only problems Florida has are missing children, missing parolees, and missing foster kids? Yet, is willing to roll up his sleeves and burn the midnight oil to save the life of a woman whom his judges have decided clearly wants to die??

Jeb Bush - order your legislature back into session and do something to save our children! Let's ask Jessica's father, Mark Lunsford, Sheriff Dawsy, and John Walsh, what they think Jeb Bush should be working on tonight....and tomorrow and the next day...

Since this is Jeb's last term...does he want to leave a legacy of interferring with Terri's right to die and trying to save someone who doesn't want to be saved or should he want a legacy of keeping children safe? They have a "right to life," also...

Sigh....

Stepping down now.

Sorry.

Whoa, Southsider just posed the question and I answered. As far as I know that was the first time it was asked.

Fortunately in the US we have the resources to work on more than one issue at a time. We are faced with growing poverty, jobs moving offshore, terrorism, actually many more than I can list here. Are you suggesting we should solve these one at a time?

Which one should we work on first? I would sugest since as soon as she dies, the issue is over, it should be this one. Would it really make sense to say, just as soon as we cure global poverty, we'll get back to you?

And Steff you keep saying that Judges have decided that she wants to die. What the judges have decided is her husband can choose to have her die. There is a big difference.

It is completely pointless for me to respond to each individual post that is written as if we were living in the dark ages with respect to what is on the horizon in the near future.

If you don't know what nanotech is & you've never read a book in it then why bother posting obnoxious crap that makes you look clueless to any one who has? Go to sciencedaily.com or better yet the library check out a few books & then come back & say something intelliigent like you know what you're talking about.

It's so blatantly obvious that some of you are completely clueless on the historical progression of science in all fields in relation to generational growth of computer science in both hardware & software. Unless you have that you will remain in the dark ages.

http://www.nanotech-now.com/basics.htm - It's a good place to start.

As for mapping the human brain that R&D is extensive & on-going. It's likely to take as long as it did to map the human genome but it will happen.

Suppose the brain where like a map of Texas. For any given person you don't know where Houston is but once you find Houston you can find Dallas, San Antonio, Waco, Austin, etc. That's the basis of the R&D. These cities represent functions. Even though they might be in slightly different areas of the brain per individual there relation to one another remain the same. Just as cities vary in size so to the areas in the brain responsible for each function. The bigger cities so to speak are easier to find. They represent the keys to mapping the lower functions.

Again you can learn more about this by visiting sciencedaily.com or even better checking out books at your local library.

I feel like a commercial for the science channel :rolly

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Whoa, Southsider just posed the question and I answered. As far as I know that was the first time it was asked.

And Steff you keep saying that Judges have decided that she wants to die. What the judges have decided is her husband can choose to have her die. There is a big difference.

I misread your response.

I said no such thing. I said they agreed with her husband. Big difference.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:39 AM)
I misread your response.

I said no such thing. I said they agreed with her husband. Big difference.

Yes there is. I must be attributing someone else's response to you. Sorry. Too much info here.

Not directed at you Steff,

Do you think he laid in bed and discussed if Terri should live or die with his current girlfriend and mother of his children? Creepy thinking that my wife would be sharing an intimate moment with someone else and discussing if I should live or die.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
Not directed at you Steff,

Do you think he laid in bed and discussed if Terri should live or die with his current girlfriend and mother of his children? Creepy thinking that my wife would be sharing an intimate moment with someone else and discussing if I should live or die.

I hope he did.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)
I hope he did.

You don't think her opinions would be clouded by the sound of wedding bells? Would you like your ex-husbands new girlfriend helping to decide your fate? Eikes.

This is a strictly theoretical question, I have no way of knowing anything about this particular woman and do not wish anyone to believe I am generalizing that all people in this position, or any one specific person, would have their judgement clouded.

Jesus taught us pretty Clearly to show love and mercy to all.  Whether they are unborn, dying, brain dead, or child murders doesn't matter. 

"love thine enemy as thyself."

Goodness manifests itself in one's sacrifice for others. Selfishness diminshes our goodness.

Update:

There are only 2 threads remaining to Terri's life. The Schindler's appeal before the USSC & the FLDCFS appeal before the FL appelate courts.

Schindler's appeal has been backed by a friend of the court brief from DeLay representing the US Congress essentially explaining that the Fed justices did not take into consideration the true intent of Schiavo's Law in deciding the appeal.

The FLDCFS appeal is again with the intention to take Terri into custody & make her a ward of the state on the basis they have met the statuatory requirement to do so in the state of FL.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
You don't think her opinions would be clouded by the sound of wedding bells?  Would you like your ex-husbands new girlfriend helping to decide your fate? Eikes.

This is a strictly theoretical question, I have no way of knowing anything about this particular woman and do not wish anyone to believe I am generalizing that all people in this position, or any one specific person, would have their judgement clouded.

Nope. It's been this long.. I don't think she's clouded by wedding bells. I already said I would support Jim moving on. If he found someone to help him deal with my condition, if in the state Terry is in, I would be happy for him.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Update:

There are only 2 threads remaining to Terri's life.  The Schindler's appeal before the USSC & the FLDCFS appeal before the FL appelate courts.

Good to see you're keeping up on things... :rolly

The Supreme Court said no.

I've been reflecting on Steff's excellent comments about other problems we have. We all know this ends with her death, sooner or later. The lasting legacy is the attention this has shown on living wills and the benefits of a good lawyer.

Humans have a connection that is unequaled elsewhere in the animal kingdom. A stranger whose passing would not mention a passing word outside of her immediate family has captured out attention for months and years. Everyone with strong emotions on this feels an emotional response. Either let the poor woman die in peace, or let the poor woman eat and drink. Human nature in all of us.

It would be wonderful if we could place the same sense of urgency on other matters. I'd like to see more of an urgency to eliminate fossil fuels. I feel good about humans and America during all this.

I don't wish to repost from another thead, but imagine how strong we have proven to be when we have not given our elected leaders the ultimate power in this situation. In other countries, the President via royal decree, threats, intimidation, or a wave of his hand could have power over this and save her life. Our constitution places the ultimate power with an ordinary citizen.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
No Tex.... it means exactly that. 

:headshake

I just lost a lot of respect for you Steff. I am sorry you are finding laughter in someone dying. That is pretty damn sick.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 10:13 AM)
I just lost a lot of respect for you Steff. I am sorry you are finding laughter in someone dying. That is pretty damn sick.

Yea.. it's obvious all over this thread that I'm just giddy over her dying.

GMAFB.