Mom/Dad vs Spouse

JUGGERNAUT

Who do you trust more?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you trust more?

• MOM/DAD - They say the love of parent to their child is the strongest of all.
    • SPOUSE/SEXFRIEND - Intimacy breeds the greatest love of all.

This is spawn of the Schiavo thread but it really deserves it's own. We all have different experiences in life & I think that will definitely play a factor in the answer to this question.

What would be helpful is to post how many times you've been engaged to someone. I think this is a less-intrusive question then asking how many times someone was married.

I contend that most Americans trust their parents with their well-being (matter of life, health, financial security, etc) than their spouses. There are obvious exceptions: you're married to a doctor, or you're married to a financial analyst. So try to answer the poll question with respect to not just your experience but what you know from other's experience & the things you've read or heard.

I did not marry my highschool sweetheart & experienced quite a few painful times in my life before arriving to where I am today. She didn't either. That leaves us both with painful memory scars for life. But you don't dwell on that. You cheerish everyday you have together. The path has made us more compromising to one another. At the same time the scars prepare you to where if she came home & said I met someone else you wouldn't be surprised.

That's the painful road of reality & when you consider that you are more likely to experience divorce than to remain married to the same person it's one that most people share. The road to marriage makes you understand that when two people fall in love no one else really exists. When you have fallen in love several times in life the idea of it being life-long erodes for you. You cheerish the time you have more.

You lose the expectation it will last forever.

Having some acquaintenances in the psych business they will tell you that's sound advice.

In any case, my personal circle of friends & loved ones coupled with national statistics & the stories I've read concludes for me that most Americans like myself trust the person that brought them into this world &/or brought them up in this world more than the person they sleep with.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Perv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was trying to be NON-GENDER BIAS!  Replace it with GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND! 

I probably should have used LOVER.  I just didn't want to leave the single people out of the poll.  It's assumed that you love the person at least in this poll.

You should have just left it at spouse or life partner. I find your description ignorant and offensive to be honest with you.

You should have just left it at spouse or life partner. I find your description ignorant and offensive to be honest with you.

What are you talking about?

I clearly linked the SEXFRIEND to someone you share intimacy with who is not your spouse. How is that either ignorant or offensive?

Life-partner does not work. There is nothing in the poll assuming that either the spousal or lover in one's life represents a life-long commitment to anything. It simply represents the person whom you feel the most intimate about in your life today.

LOVER would have been more appropriate.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

I trust, love and confide in my wife more than anyone I've ever had in my life.

If I ever had to choose between family and her, I'd choose her, no doubt and no thought necessary.

Thankfully, it will never come to anything like that. My family loves my wife and vice versa - I feel very lucky for that.

EDITED to add that I've only ever been engaged to her. No other girl ever made me want to spend the rest of my life with her.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 19, 2005 -> 05:24 AM)
I can't really comment on this, being a 21 year old in college that's only had one 'serious' gf for a few months in college, but i find the thought of this very interesting and though provoking.

Krush has an important point that has bearing on these poll results. The relative youth of most posters here, the fact that many live or recently lived at home etc., means this question is not applicable to many here.

For my part, I'll repeat my smartass response from the Schiavo thread, because cow many times do I get the chance to rattl off some biblical shuck and jive and suggest it clearly proves and vindicates a position on an issue?? :P

From 2 Genesis: Therefore a man foresekes his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.

The Bible verifies that marriage trumps blood. Isn't that good enough for you, or are you just a bunch of pagans?

EDIT: 2 Genesis was a real early effort - back when Peter Gabriel was still in the lineup I'm sure, so that has to add some weight to the argument, no? :D

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(winodj @ Mar 18, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
I'd trust my parents. Cause I'm not married.

And apparently, I'd have to trust my parents anyway, because the chances are, I'd never get the chance to legally have a choice.

You legally have a choice, it is just that the government has been magnanimous and generous enough to search all the citizens and determined about half the population would not be good for you. Wasn't that nice of them You will have to do the rest. :o

Edited by Texsox