Cubune article on Lee/Marte clash

Jabroni

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
I disagree totally, it looked like he released his pitch too late like I have seen him do a hundred times.  He has thrown pitches like that to left handed batters and it just looks like an outside fastball. Carlos was right on top of the plate and Damaso's release was late.  There is no way he wanted to hit him, thats ridiculous.

Like I said, the tilt of the pitch jumped at me. All of his pitches have the big sweeping action. They have that falling off of the table movement to them. This pitch was straight as an arrow, and went right for his hip/thigh.

I have no idea why Damaso would want to hit him, but I really believe there was purpose to it. Especially with Damaso's defiant reaction to it all. If I had just hit an ex-teammate who was a buddy, I would have laughed about it, or motioned to him like I was sorry or it was an accident... especially in a ST game. Instead he stood on the mound and stared down Carlos. Why else would you react like that, in a meaningless game?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
This quote makes me laugh...

Yes Carlos, Podsednik ran on that sac fly attempt by Willie because the Sox wanted to mess around with you, not because they wanted to score the run. :rolly  Carlos sure has a big ego. :headshake

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
Lee is becoming a real whiner isn't he?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
It sure seems like it to me.  He is turning into Maggs Part 2.

Does anyone think Marte actually hit Carlos intentionally?  All I've heard all spring is how they want Marte to go inside on righties so he doesn't struggle with them like he did last season.  As a result, occasionally he is going to hit some batters.

what the hell are you guys talkin about? did you see how far that fly ball by willie actually went? it barely went past the infield. i dunno if joey(cora) wanted to show pods was better than c. lee, but c. lee has a strong arm and was a pretty easy throw(and short). or maybe its cause joey has been cold this spring making bad decisions. also didn't c. lee thank the white sox yet again? i agree w/ the guy w/ the ron burgundy profile pic. it did look like marte did throw at him, just w/ his arm angle and everything. c.lee is much more of a class act than maggs.

i'm out

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Old friend, new location: Jon Garland played in front of Carlos Lee long enough to know his old teammate wasn't happy with a first-inning strikeout against the White Sox right-hander.

"It was Spring Training, but I know he was a little upset," said Garland, who fanned Lee on a fastball. "He didn't like it."

Neither Garland nor Konerko nor even general manager Ken Williams and Guillen had a chance to talk one-on-one with Lee, who patrolled left field more than capably for the past six years in Chicago. Konerko said he spoke briefly with Lee during the game, when he was in the dugout and Konerko was playing first base.

But it was a slightly strange feeling for some of the veteran players to go up against a player who was such a key cog in their offense and a longtime teammate.

"It was a little bit," Konerko said of seeing Lee wearing a Brewers uniform. "I played with the guy for five years, so it was a little odd seeing the guy in a new uniform. But you get used to it. I've seen some other people I know in different uniforms so you become numb to it after a while."

"The guy has been on our team ever since I've been in the big leagues," Garland added.

Lee admitted that it was strange to see the White Sox from the other side of the field, but he has moved on and is focused on trying to bring a winner to Milwaukee.

"That's a challenge for everybody in this clubhouse," Lee said. "We've got great guys here, and I know every single guy is going to try to do their best. If we win, we win. If we lose, we lose. But we're going to try hard."

I've got no problems with Carlos and the job he did for the Sox. He was one of my favorite players. However, if he was not of the right mindset to play ball the way the Sox want to play ball, then moving him was probably for the best. Good luck to him and the Brew Crew in NLC this year, especially against the Cubs.

Jon Garland played in front of Carlos Lee long enough to know his old teammate wasn't happy with a first-inning strikeout against the White Sox right-hander.

"It was Spring Training, but I know he was a little upset," said Garland, who fanned Lee on a fastball. "He didn't like it."

What does he expect? Walk him everytime? Get over it, buddy.

That's what I got out of it, greasy, but with all of the things I've been hearing out of Carlos today, you'd think that he'd killed someone.  Geez -- I certainly never any of this when Carlos was here...

Good Point.

However, I've always felt that Lee is an ass and a punk simply from his outfield play especially last year.

Did his outfield play improve-OH YES. But he became so full of himself and so lazy that it pissed me off. And nobody on this board agreed with me ,in fact people laughed at me for this.

CARLOS IS A PUNK---Maggs is a great guy who has always been great to our organization except when he gave praise to the cubs...

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Good Point.

However, I've always felt that Lee is an ass and a punk simply from his outfield play especially last year.

Did his outfield play improve-OH YES.  But he became so full of himself and so lazy that it pissed me off.  And nobody on this board agreed with me ,in fact people laughed at me for this. 

CARLOS IS A PUNK---Maggs is a great guy who has always been great to our organization except when he gave praise to the cubs...

That statement is bs because Lee was always a great guy. The many times I went to the cell and cheered for him he would always acknowledge kindly. Not only that I remember a time me and my friends were cheering for Carlos after he had just struck out and he smiled to us and acting like he was rooting for himself. The time he was here was great.

As for Maggs, I also loved Maggs, I have some nice stories about him too, they both played well on their time with the sox. All this crap everyone is saying about booing Maggs when he comes back is junk. He played his heart out for 7 years and your going to boo him? The White Sox have a big mouth too, u cant blame the whole controversy on maggs himself, both of the organization and maggs were exchanging words. They both needed to shut up, besides they are both in the background, no longer with this organization, good luck to both of them and byebye.

QUOTE(chisox05 @ Mar 24, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Good Point.

Did his outfield play improve-OH YES.  But he became so full of himself and so lazy that it pissed me off.  And nobody on this board agreed with me ,in fact people laughed at me for this. 

I give Lee a ton of credit for learning left field in the Big Leagues. He's criticized for his happy go lucky attitude, but without it he might not have been able to bear the ridicule he went through a couple years back. Might have helped he didn't speak much english too.

Punk isn't the word I'd use to describe Carlos.

He seems more like a kid in a big man's body. I mean, I remember hearing stories about during pitching changes, how he'd do some crowd looking for some ladies. And, I thought it was histerical the time the game was delayed because he was takin' a piss.

It also led to some bad things -- like when he'd stare down his homers, but oh well -- that led to one bad time out of the 500 or so AB's he had.

Carlos will be missed...

Why does everything have to be debated to death around here like it was a federal case or something?

It sounds to me that Carlos Lee was just having fun & just being humorous. Can't a guy be jovial any more? Carlos busted his ass for this team every year he played for it. He had incredible hitting streaks last year that kept the team afloat. I have nothing but praise for Carlos.

Referring him to Maggs is insane. Maggs trashed our team, & our GM. He questioned the credibility of the organization we love. He's a lying lecherous traitor.

Lee didn't ask to be traded & didn't want to be traded. But he realized the needs the White Sox had to fill were greater than their need to keep Lee.

He's been nothing less than professional with the move.

Lastly, he's going to help us in BIG ways! His games against the Flubs & his games against the Twins. Every time Lee does something to help beat the Flubs this year his past-time with the White Sox will be mentioned.