The New Sony PSP

SoxFanForever

hm_mood.jpg

Saw one of these in Best Buy yesterday. The picture is amazingly clear for such a small device. Nice that you can play games, listen to music and watch movies all on one small item. Seems really cool for traveling.

Just wondering if anyone around here has bought one yet or is looking into one. They are selling for $250 right now. Might be an interesting B-Day present.

I have it and it's pretty amazing. Any videos you have on your computer can be put on a memory stick and watched on the PSP. Not to mention the ability to play PS2-equivalent games on the road. Also free gaming with others using 802.11 at any hot spot.

So 3E8, you have it?

Can you explain this thing to me? You buy the games for it, and you also gotta buy movies for it, too? Or, can you just download movies off of something like 'Ares' or 'Kazaa', and then put those onto this memory stick? And, you can also download music onto this like an MP3 player?

I'm thinking of buying it, but if I have to buy a whole lot of other stuff -- within reason -- then I'm not gonna throw my money away. But, if all I have to buy is games, and I can download the games/movies, then I'm definitely gonna think about buying it...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
So 3E8, you have it?

Can you explain this thing to me?  You buy the games for it, and you also gotta buy movies for it, too?  Or, can you just download movies off of something like 'Ares' or 'Kazaa', and then put those onto this memory stick?  And, you can also download music onto this like an MP3 player?

I'm thinking of buying it, but if I have to buy a whole lot of other stuff -- within reason -- then I'm not gonna throw my money away.  But, if all I have to buy is games, and I can download the games/movies, then I'm definitely gonna think about buying it...

Since Sony has the rights to so many movies, you can buy select titles to play on this. I won't be doing this however. Any videos on your computer can be put on a memory stick (1GB) after being converted to the right format. MP3's too. So, yes, any music/movies/whatever you've downloaded from P2P networks can be transfered onto your PSP.

It can function as a portable MP3 player, portable DVD (quality) player, and a portable PS2 player with built in ability to play others over wireless networks for free.

Nintendo is to release a much-more powerful handheld in the next 6 months. It will finally be the much-anticipated follow-up to the GameBoy and will be as powerful as a GameCube. And could have backwards-compatibility with it, although that last part may just be nothing more than speculation. Being Nintendo and it being a Gameboy, it will likely be a friendly-buyer price and nothing too over the top. The DS wil likely drop down to 100$ at release and the 2 will run side by side.

I'm defiantly waiting for this rather than buying a PSP. I've tried it and been very unpleased with it. Heavy, Very Short-battery life, and Not-so-good control set-up up to go along with that its being outsold by the DS(which is going on-line) and 50$ games says to stay away.

Edited by Hall of Famer

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
to go along with that its being outsold by the DS(which is going on-line)

Outsold? I guess if you consider that the DS had a 5 month head-start. 1 million PSP's were sold on release day, 18 million in homes by Xmas '05, 50 million by Xmas '06. And it's online out of the box. Nintendo unfortunately still isn't totally convinced gamers want online capabilities.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Outsold?  I guess if you consider that the DS had a 5 month head-start.  1 million PSP's were sold on release day, 18 million in homes by Xmas '05, 50 million by Xmas '06.  And it's online out of the box.  Nintendo unfortunately still isn't totally convinced gamers want online capabilities.

I was talking more world wide numbers. It's hard to tell overall sales at this point(because of which some stores are unable to report their numbers) but I do know that the DS just shattered the 1st week sales for 1 console over in Europe, outsold the PSP for their 1st week sales in Japan and it is too early to tell here in America.

Lets face it though, sales don't equal a quality system so I won't fight that.

I do however say that I don't think entering the handheld market will be good for Sony. For one, the PSP is seeing a gigantic loss for every unit sold. For two, the UMD is set-up as a failure due to much higher running costs than a normal disk and disturbing possible security breaches. Sony is putting its priorities to the UMD market and it really just doesn't look good. For three, just look at the handheld market in the past. About a 10-1 failure/success ratio. Virtually all of which are Nintendos.