Question for Illini fans

Kind of a tough question.

Right now i would say NCAA championship. I have never been so emotionally attached to a team in my life. Being a student here and being at every home game and a ton of road games and almost every tournament game over the past 3 years just adds on to the mental and emotional energy put into this team. I've invested so much into this team it's unreal.

This is nothing against the Sox, but i want the NCAA title right now.

that's tough....

i honestly would go for a white sox WS.

There's just something about baseball, maybe its the 162 game season, where you can get so attached to a team.

also, I'm just a freshmen here, i'm getting spoiled too early w/ this team.

Yeah...steve if you were here for 3 years already and were at as many games as i was, etc, you might change your tune. There definitely is a difference from my freshman year to now. It's built up like you wouldn't believe. And it's not even because they are better this year, it's really not. It's because i've been there since the beginning with this exact team, minus a few changes.

You can't lose either way though. And i'm not being greedy. f***, i'll just take one at this point

Easy. As much as I love the Illini and want them to win, i would trade in every single win from this season fro a White Sox World Series Championship. No question about it.

I should note that i did not attend U of I, but I have been a die hard fan of Illinois Basketball for 17 years.

Edited by Sox1422

This is a bad time for this question because at this point and time everyone is caught up with the Illini and aren't paying much attention to baseball.

If you ask this same question while the Sox are about to win the ALCS, I know what everyones answer on this whole website will be.

Me, personally, the World Series.

It's been like 90 years. Frank deserves it. I could really care less about a bunch of guys who won't even be playing in Illinois in the next 2 or 3 years.

Some of these Sox players will/have be/been around forever.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
This is a bad time for this question because at this point and time everyone is caught up with the Illini and aren't paying much attention to baseball.

If you ask this same question while the Sox are about to win the ALCS, I know what everyones answer on this whole website will be.

Me, personally, the World Series.

It's been like 90 years. Frank deserves it. I could really care less about a bunch of guys who won't even be playing in Illinois in the next 2 or 3 years.

Some of these Sox players will/have be/been around forever.

Fair enough. However, you say that while your sig has 7 guys who are first year White Sox players...

So the whole 2-3 years thing isn't really a great point to make...

I have been to the NCAA finals with my team while I was in college, granted it was D3, but the excitement level might even have been higher on this campus. We were undefeated, playing against another undefeated team for the title. The whole town was into it. Nothing like this had ever happened at Manchester College.

All that, and I would trade every second of it for any seat at a World Series game at Comiskey Park.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
Exactly Zero. Right now, I can't imagine anything better than the Illini winning the Championship, with being there on Saturday, driving up to Michigan to see them play, and going to U Of I tommorw for a few days, im just in the Illini mindframe right now.

Ask me in July, and I will say WS no doubt.

Let me know when you're down here, we gotta meet up

Just keep in mind people, these types of comparisons are impossible. I would take any championship from one of my teams (throw the Hawks in there with those 2).

For someone who hasn't seen any championships (like a lot of you i assume), any of these titles would be the pinnacle of my sports life.

Illini...and not because it's March Madness (although it helps). As much as I love the Sox and I do and have since the late 70's...the connection to my alma mater is so much stronger. I lean forward in my seat for every game with the Illini. You can never NOT be an alumni. Bruce Douglas, Marcus Liberty, Kenny Battle, Eddie Johnson...always Illini, no matter who they play for in the pros or what they do in life.

White Sox players, while I love most of them, sometimes they leave and have better careers elsewhere. Or are remembered for being on another team. Fisk comes to mind, most people, outside of White Sox fans, remember him as a Red Sox.

I want to see both, but the Illini would mean more to me.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
I'm asking those of you who are both diehard Illini fans (alumni, or current students) AND diehard Sox fans the following:

What would bring you greater joy, an NCAA basketball championship, or a W.S. victory for the Sox?

I would say a White Sox World Series, EXCEPT for this year because I am currently attending the school.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
Illinois is the basketball form of the cubs during their playoff run.  Orange krush your bandwagon is boarding.

HEHE....since my avatar has been the same for over a year i'll refrain for comment on this post