"FUNdamentals" helping the Sox?

beck72

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

With the new FUNdamentals area providing an opening extending from left-center to the foul pole, will this prevent some HR's from balls hit that way? Seems some hitters may be thinking that way from the article. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the construction photos when it was being built, that it might allow some wind to blow back toward the plate.

We'll know somewhat if HR's numbers dip at the Cell and stay the same elsewhere.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

With the new FUNdamentals area providing an opening extending from left-center to the foul pole, will this prevent some HR's from balls hit that way? Seems some hitters may be thinking that way from the article. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the construction photos when it was being built, that it might allow some wind to blow back toward the plate.

We'll know somewhat if HR's numbers dip at the Cell and stay the same elsewhere.

This is very possible, and could definatley work in our favor, especially against the homerun heavy teams in our division, detroit and Cleveland

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
This is very possible, and could definatley work in our favor, especially against the homerun heavy teams in our division, detroit and Cleveland

Konerko said he thought the ball was "jumping" in batting practice, unusual when the wind is blowing off the lake as it does in April.

"If anything," he said, "that [FUNdamentals] structure should help [home runs], especially if the wind is blowing in."

It looks like the jury is still out. :huh

The Cell: A Pitcher-friendly park?

News

The White Sox did not go through with plans to move the outfield fences of U.S. Cellilar Field back 12-to-17 feet to their pre-2001 dimensions, however, it may be more of a pitcher's park now thanks to a new structure in left field. Said structure is a two-story FUNdamentals kids play area just inside the left field pole. Following Monday's 1-0 game, starting pitcher Mark Buehrle told the Chicago Tribune that he heard in batting practice that "the ball was not flying out of here like it did last year. I don't know if it's that FUNdamentals deck in left field, but [one player] said he hit a couple of balls that should have gone out, and I said thanks, because that means the ball's not going to be flying out of here like it did last year."

Views

The Cell had gained a reputation as something of a hitters' park, but Monday's 1-0 game and the comments by Buehrle are intriguing. It's way too early to jump to any conclusions, but if you take ballpark factors into account when setting your weekly fantasy lineup, you will want to keep track of this.

i never knew they had plans to move back the fences.

I think if the balls does indeed stay in the park more often it plays to our favor due to our strong pitching and our "small ball" focus this season which we haven't had in the past.

I am still not sold on this based on one game though.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
They moved them in at Albert's request years ago.. they've been talking about moving them back out ever since he left.

That doesn't pass the smell test.

Albert spent 2 seasons on the Southside. He was out the door after a year and a half. He had played his final major league game before they had even broken ground on the first phase of renovations after the 2000 season. I seriously doubt the fences would be moved in as a consession to a player who hasn't played for the team in 2 seasons.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
Move home plate back, it would accomplish the same thing and also put the action closer to the seats behind the plate. No?

Removing foul ground would make the park just at hitter friendly by reducing foul outs and giving hitters more attempts.... Also it couldn't be moved that far back, there's not much room down the lines.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
That doesn't pass the smell test.

Albert spent 2 seasons on the Southside.  He was out the door after a year and a half.  He had played his final major league game before they had even broken ground on the first phase of renovations after the 2000 season.  I seriously doubt the fences would be moved in as a consession to a player who hasn't played for the team in 2 seasons.

The fences were moved in at his request before he even stepped a foot on the field.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
The fences were moved in at his request before he even stepped a foot on the field.

The park opened in 1991. The dimensions have been listed as the same from that time until 2001. Granted I may have attended a total of only 2 games at USCF during the Belle Era cuz I was out of state in college, but I don't recall the fences moving at any time during his tenure. And if they were, I don't think you can attribute the current configuration to Belle's request.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
The park opened in 1991.  The dimensions have been listed as the same from that time until 2001.  Granted I may have attended a total of only 2 games at USCF during the Belle Era cuz I was out of state in college, but I don't recall the fences moving at any time during his tenure.  And if they were, I don't think you can attribute the current configuration to Belle's request.

Prior to the bullpens being where they are there was no "moat" separating the seats to the field. The warning track out there was a good 12 feet larger than it is now.

I attribute it to his request because he said he requested it.. :huh

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
Apparently enough for you to comment on it not mattering..  :lolhitting

:lolhitting I was just commenting because you and Mr. Civic were seeming to have some sort of disagreement on whether it was true or not.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Apr 5, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
Yes ,they did move in the fence for him,and also painted the center area black!

Only the backdrop was painted black for Belle. He may have requested the fences be brought in, but they weren't. The fences were the same from the time the park opened until the first series of renovations which made the bullpen activity visible to most fans in 2001. There was always a moat area between the fence and the bleachers and lower reserved sections. The first renovation closed that moat significantly, adding seats to these sections. In fact, they put padding over it to cover it up. The padding was removed when people came running on to the field using that padding as a springboard to enter.