Top 30 Sox Prospects

SouthSide2004

I haven't seen this posted on here, but here is the rest of Baseball America's top 30 prospects for the White Sox from the Prospect Handbook (not including top 10 since it has been posted here already):

11. Kris Honel

12. Ray Liotta

13. Tyler Lumsden

14. Robert Valido

15. Casey Rogowski

16. Arnie Munoz

17. Wes Whisler

18. Antoin Gray

19. Daniel Haigwood

20. Micah Schnurstein

21. Bobby Jenks

22. Salvador Sanchez

23. Felix Diaz

24. Jeff Bajenaru

25. Mike Spidale

26. Dwayne Pollok

27. Fabio Castro

28. Ryan Rodriguez

29. Wilson Valdez

30. Tom Collaro

Also, Jerry Owens was ranked as the Nationals' 11th best prospect in the book.

No love for Brice, Andy Gonzalez, or Adam Ricks. I'm not a big fan of A Gon myself, but Tom Collaro? Ricks I guess gets a rough beat being a rookie last season, but Tom Collaro was a rookie too. Brice has the age knock, we'll see.

Edited by danman31

Some big wraps on Salvador Sanchez even though he's never played minor - league ball. He's probably the one guy who'll be really interesting to watch this year, Phil Rogers said he was built like a young Juan Gonzalez minus the nagging injuries hopefully.

Big wraps on Liotta also putting him ahead of Lumsden, although I think when Tyler comes back from surgery, hopefully he'll regain his velocity, and rise through the system, the Sox thought he was the best college pitcher left when they picked him.

Valdez at 29, meh I'll just imagine that's Tom Brice instead. :)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 03:40 AM)
Valdez at 29, meh I'll just imagine that's Tom Brice instead.  :)

Yep, my problem was in the 20's when there were more legit low-level prospects that should have been "on the radar", there were some REALLY uestionable additions to the list. Did Francisco Hernandez blowing up this year put more focus on the Dominican league prospects in the organization?

I like Haigwood, but I still think Rodriguez has more potential and a better arm.

Pollok, Valdez and Collaro? Blech!

I'd have rather seen Lucas Harrell, Adam Russell, Lucy, or Nanita... at least those guys have a chance to ascend the list in the future. I'm not a big fan of propping up college hitters who have a good half-season in rookie ball...

Where is Paulino Reynoso?

I think the depth this year is amazing when you look at the barren top 30 lists of the past 2 years.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Im guessing Gio was in the top 10

Yes he was:

1. Brian Anderson, of

2. Ryan Sweeney, of

3. Brendan McCarthy, rhp

4. Josh Fields, 3b

5. Sean Tracey, rhp

6. Chris Young, of

7. Gio Gonzalez, lhp

8. Francisco Hernandez, c

9. Pedro Lopez, ss

10. Kris Honel, rhp

How in the hell is Honel 10 and 11? They didn't stick Owens ahead of him or something?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
No love for Brice, Andy Gonzalez, or Adam Ricks. I'm not a big fan of A Gon myself, but Tom Collaro? Ricks I guess gets a rough beat being a rookie last season, but Tom Collaro was a rookie too. Brice has the age knock, we'll see.

Collaro was not a rookie, was his 3rd or 4th year in our system, but he was in rookie league.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Yes he was:

1. Brian Anderson, of

2. Ryan Sweeney, of

3. Brendan McCarthy, rhp

4. Josh Fields, 3b

5. Sean Tracey, rhp

6. Chris Young, of

7. Gio Gonzalez, lhp

8. Francisco Hernandez, c

9. Pedro Lopez, ss

10. Kris Honel, rhp

How in the hell is Honel 10 and 11? They didn't stick Owens ahead of him or something?

Honel was originally 10 on the list, but after we signed Iguchi, who is rated as our fifth best prospect, everyone from Sean Tracey on fell down a spot.

Also, Baseball America did a special where they made a rather large team of prospects who did not make their organization's Top 30 lists. The Sox had four players on the team: Paulino Reynoso, Corwin Malone, Brian Miller and Javier Castillo. So one of these guys got bumped off our list after Iguchi signed.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2005 -> 12:35 AM)
Brian Miller = Overrated and I couldn't tell you anything about Javier Castillo.  Reynoso is a legit sleeper.

The fact that Reynoso is on our 40 man roster, but is still not one of our top 30 prospects proves how deep our system is.

Here is the writeup on Castillo from BA:

Javier Castillo, ss, White Sox

Born: Aug. 29, 1983. Ht.: 6-2. Wt.: 185. Bats: R. Throws: R. Career Transactions: Signed out of Panama by White Sox, Jan. 9, 2002. Signed by: Miguel Ibarra.

Castillo hit just .224 in two seasons in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League, but his bat picked up when he came to the United States last year. Big for a shortstop at 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, he drew comparisons to fellow Panamanian Carlos Lee because of his strength and power potential. Castillo strikes out a lot but he's willing to draw walks and could become a high-average hitter once he makes better contact. He doesn't have much speed on the bases and could outgrow shortstop, though the White Sox don't plan to move him any time soon. If he shifts to third base, he has the strong arm for the position. Low Class A Kannapolis is his logical next step.

If is he the starting shortstop for the Intimidators, it looks like this will be a major test for him. Those two years in DSL give me some reason to worry.

QUOTE(SouthSide2004 @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
If is he the starting shortstop for the Intimidators, it looks like this will be a major test for him.  Those two years in DSL give me some reason to worry.

Yeah, but check his age. He is only 21 so he is still going to be about average age for the SAL.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Brian Miller = Overrated and I couldn't tell you anything about Javier Castillo.  Reynoso is a legit sleeper.

I agree on Miller. All these publications say he throws low 90's, but when I saw him and talked to him, he said he really only throws in the 88-89 mph range. He has decent movement, but I just don't get it, especially when BA had him rated so high last year...

I got a chance to see Castillo play a few games with Bristol last year, my more detailed notes are at home. Good range, and defensively has a strong arm and moves fluidly for a SS his size. He looked overmatched to me at the plate in rookie ball, so I don't know what to think of him in Class A this year...

Edited by Randar68

Ya, Phil Rogers is in love with him. He says he throws an "easy" 95. Its so damn far fetched. At most he's 90 MPH and like you say he never pitches in that regard.

The other problem is he has absolutely zilch when it comes to break pitches. He did a nice job the time I saw him pitch, but I walked away eerily dissapointed soley because Rogers and BA had hyped him up as this special talent.

I remember the first time I saw Reynoso. I figured career minor leaguer, then I took a look at the guns and was like holy s***, are these things broken, cause I had never heard anything about him.

Didn't realize he was a converted infielder at the time, but I really think he's got a shot to turn into a pretty quality reliever.

Looking forward to hearing you first hand accounts too Randy. Also yours Bham.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
I remember the first time I saw Reynoso.  I figured career minor leaguer, then I took a look at the guns and was like holy s***, are these things broken, cause I had never heard anything about him. 

Didn't realize he was a converted infielder at the time, but I really think he's got a shot to turn into a pretty quality reliever. 

Reynoso has a great arm. He could be a hell of a pitcher if he figures it out upstairs and can transform his mechanics into something resembling consistency.

When I saw Reynoso last year, I was ready to be underwhelmed. Well, the kid worked very slow and nibbled all over the place instead of trusting his stuff. The 3 W-S pitchers charting the game were just shaking their heads... "I wish I had this kid's arm..." and these were NOT career minor league-types... these were legit prospect-type pitchers saying this... He was the human rain delay out there too...

Needless to say, the one time I saw him pitch this spring on tv, looked like a different pitcher. Was working relatively quickly, and was throwing strikes.

If he can continue that, kid has a bright future.