Do the Bulls really need Eddy next year?

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
This is the most over-rated statistic ever.  They are on totally different teams. I could understand if they were on the same team and you compare them with those stats.  Philly is not a good team, any medicore player can look like he makes the team better when on the court.

Ok so since by your reasoning Dalembert is mediocre because he's on a bad team, others like AI are bad because they have negative percent when they're on the court (yet then when he's not on the court, they do even worse). How can a player be BAD, if they play on a bad team, yet the team plays better when they're on the court? What would Eddy Curry stats be if he played in Philly instead of Chicago? How come the team as a whole plays better when he's not on the court?

Edited by DBAH0

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 03:31 AM)
For rangercal because when in rome....

v010828A.jpg

Now here's the argument on Dalembert; He's NOT going to get a max contract, like Eddy Curry will. He could be had for the mid - level exception for the next 5 seasons. Do you think Golden State would have loved to give him that instead of forking out $40 million over 6 years for THE Adonal Foyle?

For those who think he scores nothing but dunks, have a look at the stats;

Eddy Curry - 16.1 points, 5.4 rebounds, .92 blocks per game, 730 FG's attempted

Sam Dalembert - 8.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.69 blocks per game (he had 2.3 blocks per game last season). He ranks 13th in the NBA for rebounds per 48 mins (14.6), and 12th in the NBA for blocks per 48 mins (3.27). Now Dalembert has had 300 less shots than Eddy Curry this year, and if he came to the Bulls that number would rise. AI would have at least 20 shots per game, and Webber would have about 15, plus you've got Korver lighting up from the outside, and Jackson and Igoudola.

When Eddy Curry is on the court, the Bulls are 2.1% worse off. When he is off the court, the Bulls are 3.2% better off.

When Sam Dalembert is on the court, the 76ers and 0.9% better off. When he is off the court, they are 2.9% worse off.

This site shows the diff in stats b/w the two; Salembert is +1.3 above the average (*PER), while Curry is +4.2, the main difference being Curry is down in rebounding, turnovers, blocks and assists, but he's way ahead in scoring. The Bulls have to decide whether or not they are willing to live with Curry's shortcomings in the other areas of his game other than his scoring.

http://www.82games.com/04CHI13C.HTM

How do Curry and Chandler play on the same court together? Not good, at a -7, something to keep in mind for the future. http://www.82games.com/0405CHIP.HTM

Looking at PER Diff vs. On / Off Court Diff, Curry comes off with a -1.8, while Dalembert has a +1.2.

http://www.82games.com/0405CHI2.HTM

Funny how Eddy is on everyone of our top four 5-man units and 7 of our top 10 5-man units. He must be a detriment. Not. Just because you don't want to sign someone to a near max deal is a dumb reason not to sign someone. Again, if you feel that way, become a Clippers fan and ask the others how they feel on that. Even Shaq has praised him. Dalembert simply doesn't equal Eddy. AI would probably love to have Eddy as well.

And qwerty, Eddy doesn't box out or pick good??? It's amazing how you have the NBA package so you could see nearly every game. Clearly you have missed all Bulls games this season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 04:07 AM)
I'll ask this question in another way. Is Eddy Curry worth more than double of Sam Dalembert, because he's going to re-signed for more than double of what Dalembert is probably going to get.

He sure as hell is. As someone else stated, Dalembert has regressed while Curry has progressed every year. Especially this year. His defense has gotten much better. Is he an NBA All-Defensive First Teamer?? No, but he doesn't blow coverage that much anymore and he has gotten key defensive stops for this team.

Just because you don't want to sign someone to a near max deal is a dumb reason not to sign someone.

Woah, I'm sure thats not quite what you meant to say. But as Heat fan, I can disagree 100% with that. We were worried someone else would scoop up Brian Grant so we offered him the max, same for Eddie Jones. I realize Eddy is much younger than those two, but don't just sign someone to a max deal because you are afraid to lose them. That could get you in major trouble for years to come, the Heat were lucky to end up in a good position. There is a weakness in the NBA in centers, and I can see why Eddy would get some max offers, but do you know how he will respond once he gets the safety net of a huge contract? Its a big gamble, tough decision.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Woah, I'm sure thats not quite what you meant to say. But as Heat fan, I can disagree 100% with that. We were worried someone else would scoop up Brian Grant so we offered him the max, same for Eddie Jones. I realize Eddy is much younger than those two, but don't just sign someone to a max deal because you are afraid to lose them. That could get you in major trouble for years to come, the Heat were lucky to end up in a good position. There is a weakness in the NBA in centers, and I can see why Eddy would get some max offers, but do you know how he will respond once he gets the safety net of a huge contract? Its a big gamble, tough decision.

Well yeah. I'm not saying we should sign everyone to a huge contract like Chris Duhon. But you can't say, no, I don't want to sign him because he'll cost alot. If you take everything into account(progression, current state, age) and it all says, he's still got room for improvement and is already a top 5 player at his position, then I say you sign him to a near-max deal. Especially with the CBA possibly being changed to where Max deals are only 5 years.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
Gordon deserves to start next year.

Duhon will start because Skiles will try and keep this season's "magic" together early next year.

Absolutely no way will Hinrich be on the bench, especially to Gordon. He's a superior player to Gordon. Gordon has scoring...thats all.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Just for my curiosity.

Please find me a pic of Shaq being dunked on.

You have 5 minutes.

Didn't Randy Brown dunk on Shaq during the latter years of the dynasty. It was in that game where Kukoc led this huge comeback in the regular season against the Lakers.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
And qwerty, Eddy doesn't box out or pick good??? It's amazing how you have the NBA package so you could see nearly every game. Clearly you have missed all Bulls games this season.

OMG, all we need around here is another guy who doesn't know his basketball. Christ, the nooobies are coming out of the woodwork lately and just taking a collective s*** on these here threads. You're even worse than Sleepy. :banghead

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
OMG, all we need around here is another guy who doesn't know his basketball.  Christ, the nooobies are coming out of the woodwork lately and just taking a collective s*** on these here threads.  You're even worse than Sleepy. :banghead

ROFL

Clearly Eddy boxes out well as demonstrated by his 5 rebounds.

as been said b4 he boxes his guy out well so that he cant get the rebounds either... and its also been said earlier do we really need Curry to get those extra 5 rebounds when everyone else on our team is a good rebounder, would it be nice yes... But with everyone else crashing the boards it doesnt really hurt our team.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
OMG, all we need around here is another guy who doesn't know his basketball.  Christ, the nooobies are coming out of the woodwork lately and just taking a collective s*** on these here threads.  You're even worse than Sleepy. :banghead

Yeah, too bad you're that person along with qwerty who speak out of your ass and clearly do not follow Bulls basketball.

I know basketball. Clearly almost everyone here watches enough Bulls games. Clearly Skiles and Pax know what they are seeing. It's been mentioned everywhere that Eddy does box out, but his problem is going after the ball after boxing out. He clears the lane for his guys to get the rebound. And also remember, you're not going to have all 12 of your guys averaging 8 rebounds a game. It would be nice, but that would mean that the other team got absolutely zero rebounds in the game or it was a horribly played offensive game. There's only one center(Shaq) that I would trade Curry for and in all those trades, someone else would have to be included. This is a coming from a guy who hated Eddy at the beginning of the year. If you hate Eddy because he beat you up and stole your lunch money one day, that's fine, but to say that he's not a good basketball player or you would trade him for Sam Dalembert in a heartbeat it just plain idiotic. Go ask how many Philly fans who they would prefer. 3'4ths of the fans would say Curry.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Yeah, too bad you're that person along with qwerty who speak out of your ass and clearly do not follow Bulls basketball.

I know basketball. Clearly almost everyone here watches enough Bulls games. Clearly Skiles and Pax know what they are seeing. It's been mentioned everywhere that Eddy does box out, but his problem is going after the ball after boxing out. He clears the lane for his guys to get the rebound. And also remember, you're not going to have all 12 of your guys averaging 8 rebounds a game. It would be nice, but that would mean that the other team got absolutely zero rebounds in the game or it was a horribly played offensive game. There's only one center(Shaq) that I would trade Curry for and in all those trades, someone else would have to be included. This is a coming from a guy who hated Eddy at the beginning of the year. If you hate Eddy because he beat you up and stole your lunch money one day, that's fine, but to say that he's not a good basketball player or you would trade him for Sam Dalembert in a heartbeat it just plain idiotic. Go ask how many Philly fans who they would prefer. 3'4ths of the fans would say Curry.

Yep, me and qwerty clearly don't follow the Bulls.

Could you be any more presumptuous?

Okay, maybe I can break it down for you. There are 12 to 14 shooting guards in this league who average more rebounds per game than Eddy Curry. Let's see, off the top of my head, there's Bobby Freaking Sura, Jason Richardson, Quentin Richardson, Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Steve Francis, Dwyane Wade, etc. Atlanta Hawks rookie SG Josh Childress is already a better rebounder than the 7'0 Eddy Curry.

Curry DOES NOT have a knack for rebounding, he's not passionate about winning, he doesn't have a respectable work ethic unless it's his contract year, etc. He's really a big dope, no offense to the guy.

In the current NBA, what we have is a major scoring drought at the C position. That, and that alone, is the only thing that makes Curry valuable. Is he worth a max contract on the strength of time and place? Nope, and please, stop yourself from uttering some nonsense about the LA Clippers just because those who actually know their s*** are unwilling to flush our future down the toilet!!!

Who is talking about trading Dalembert for Curry straight up? I'd like Dalembert for 25 minutes a night at 5 million per season. I don't even want him out there on the court with Chandler unless it's in the 4th quarter. The guy projects out to be a rebounding/defensive monster. More than one publication was comparing him to Ben Wallace before the season started. While it's pretty f***ing far-fetched to compare Dalembert to one of the top 10 defensive players in the history of basketball (or at least since the merger), you've gotta know that he was killing people last year when he got the minutes. How old is he right now, like 23? It took him a good 30 games to learn O'Brien's run-and-fun-and-gun system. He's out of his element. He's a half court defender, which is precisely what we're all about. You think that he's regressing? Hmmm, tht's interesting.

And Shaq is the only center that you'd trade Curry for? Hey man, what about Yao Ming? You must have forgotten about dude, yeah?

Just because there's a leaguewide scoring drought at C doesn't mean that we have to give a max contract to a guy with no heart.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
Yep, me and qwerty clearly don't follow the Bulls.

Could you be any more presumptuous?

Okay, maybe I can break it down for you.  There are 12 to 14 shooting guards in this league who average more rebounds per game than Eddy Curry.  Let's see, off the top of my head, there's Bobby Freaking Sura, Jason Richardson, Quentin Richardson, Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Steve Francis, Dwyane Wade, etc.  Atlanta Hawks rookie SG Josh Childress is already a better rebounder than the 7'0 Eddy Curry.

Curry DOES NOT have a knack for rebounding, he's not passionate about winning, he doesn't have a respectable work ethic unless it's his contract year, etc.  He's really a big dope, no offense to the guy. 

In the current NBA, what we have is a major scoring drought at the C position.  That, and that alone, is the only thing that makes Curry valuable.  Is he worth a max contract on the strength of time and place?  Nope, and please, stop yourself from uttering some nonsense about the LA Clippers just because those who actually know their s*** are unwilling to flush our future down the toilet!!!

Who is talking about trading Dalembert for Curry straight up?  I'd like Dalembert for 25 minutes a night at 5 million per season.  I don't even want him out there on the court with Chandler unless it's in the 4th quarter.  The guy projects out to be a rebounding/defensive monster.  More than one publication was comparing him to Ben Wallace before the season started.  While it's pretty f***ing far-fetched to compare Dalembert to one of the top 10 defensive players in the history of basketball (or at least since the merger), you've gotta know that he was killing people last year when he got the minutes.  How old is he right now, like 23?  It took him a good 30 games to learn O'Brien's run-and-fun-and-gun system.  He's out of his element.  He's a half court defender, which is precisely what we're all about.  You think that he's regressing?  Hmmm, tht's interesting.

And Shaq is the only center that you'd trade Curry for?  Hey man, what about Yao Ming?  You must have forgotten about dude, yeah? 

Just because there's a leaguewide scoring drought at C doesn't mean that we have to give a max contract to a guy with no heart.

Everyone in Philly thinks so. I've seen the man play and he isn't anything that was touted. There's a reason why he was a sidekick to Eddie Griffin at Seton Hall. Oh wait, it must've taken him time to learn how to play college ball. Curry has been giving you consistant offense since he came in the league. This year he learned how to box out and stick with his man and know when to switch. That's what we call progress. What has Dally learned this year? Not much. Yeah, you talk about Curry being a guy who just does offense, and then you bring Yao into the conversation??? Yao gets dunked on by everyone. He isn't anything special defensively. He's just as good as Eddy defensively if not worse. You don't hear as much about it because they are winning. Eddy's also more physical.

Dalembert and Chandler do the exact same thing. There's a reason Curry will get more money than Dalembert: Because he's the better player. You ever think of it that way??? Probably not. Dalembert is not even better than Chandler defensively or rebounding wise and he isn't better than Curry on offense. That means Dalembert is not needed. Of course there is going to be holes in everyone's game. Eddy is learning however in which I don't see Dally's offense coming around ever. Eddy will be getting more dough because he deserves it. Same with Chandler.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Curry DOES NOT have a knack for rebounding, he's not passionate about winning, he doesn't have a respectable work ethic unless it's his contract year, etc.  He's really a big dope, no offense to the guy. 

I have a sinking feeling that after he gets "paid", that he will balloon back up over 300 and slack off again.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Apr 10, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Everyone in Philly thinks so. I've seen the man play and he isn't anything that was touted. There's a reason why he was a sidekick to Eddie Griffin at Seton Hall. Oh wait, it must've taken him time to learn how to play college ball. Curry has been giving you consistant offense since he came in the league. This year he learned how to box out and stick with his man and know when to switch. That's what we call progress. What has Dally learned this year? Not much. Yeah, you talk about Curry being a guy who just does offense, and then you bring Yao into the conversation??? Yao gets dunked on by everyone. He isn't anything special defensively. He's just as good as Eddy defensively if not worse. You don't hear as much about it because they are winning. Eddy's also more physical.

Dalembert and Chandler do the exact same thing. There's a reason Curry will get more money than Dalembert: Because he's the better player. You ever think of it that way??? Probably not. Dalembert is not even better than Chandler defensively or rebounding wise and he isn't better than Curry on offense. That means Dalembert is not needed. Of course there is going to be holes in everyone's game. Eddy is learning however in which I don't see Dally's offense coming around ever. Eddy will be getting more dough because he deserves it. Same with Chandler.

Dalembert might be raw, but he ain't a complete stiff out there like Curry. Come on, man. You honestly believe that Curry has heart? Is that a guy who contributes to a championship caliber team when he's in his prime?

Sammy is a misfit in O'Brien's system.

Remember, Ben Wallace bounced around from the Magic to the Bucks to the Wizards before settling down on the right team & establishing himself as one of the all-time greats. There were people back in 97 saying that he sucked, kinda like what you're doing with Dalembert. He's the only guy who can f*** with Rodman if we're talking greatest defensive PF since the merger.

And Curry is much more valuable than Dalembert for reasons I already mentioned. Scoring = asses in seats. Leaguewide scoring drought = max contract. Curry is more valuable than Ben Wallace if we're talking contracts. That's just the way it is. If I'm the GM, he gawn.