I love my vagina

MinnesotaSoxFan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Meh, seeing teenagers today at a pretty close level, sometimes I wonder if we give them too much credit. :bang

We all know if it is something that could attract attention, good or bad, teens are drawn to it like moths.  If it involves sex and offends teachers/parents all the better.  If teens could act like adults, this wouldn't be necesary, but seeing as teachers hear giggles everytime the word "penis" or "vagina" is mentioned in sex ed class, I know these things would cause problems.

Which goes to show why comprehensive sex ed should be implemented. This fear of anything sexual being introduced to kids is completely irrational. And its not like they are just randomly wearing these, its publicity for the play the school is letting them put on (if I read the article correctly)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
One is simply a personal statement about herself.    Personally, I wouldn't have a prob with the abortion t-shirt and I'm pro-choice.

You might not have a problem with it, but that isn't the issue. The problem is that they cause distractions. They detract from the learning process.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
Abortion is Murder is simply a personal statement on how you feel...they are one in the same to me...

Is it officially legal to wear an 'Abortion is Murder' pin to school??  yeah it probably is...Is it appropriate...No.  Is it legal to wear 'I (heart) my vagina' or I support your vagina' t-shirt yeah it probably is...is it appropriate....No. 

Common sense is all I ask...

What you call common sense is based on your opinion. IMO, there is nothing wrong with either one being worn in school. :huh

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
You might not have a problem with it, but that isn't the issue.  The problem is that they cause distractions.  They detract from the learning process.

It probably would have been less of a distraction had the school not made such a big fuss about it...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
It probably would have been less of a distraction had the school not made such a big fuss about it...

Schools send kids home for dress code violations everyday. Skirts too short, obscene messages on clothes, etc... this is pretty common. It wasn't a big deal until the kids made it an issue.

QUOTE(Calderon's Crew @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
Chisoxygirl...

How many years has the PA been around? They dropped the ball.

I wonder if Jessie Jackson is on his way to Minny

When the PA first came out Nadine Strossen (then in charge of the ACLU) came to my college to denounce it and talk about the way they were going about challenging it. Just because there hasn't been a change doesn't mean they aren't trying...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Schools send kids home for dress code violations everyday.  Skirts too short, obscene messages on clothes, etc... this is pretty common.  It wasn't a big deal until the kids made it an issue.

From reading the story, it sounds like all they've been doing is threatening action against the students. They haven't actually done anything because they're not sure they can.

I'm curious to know how did the media got involved...

If this country didn't make the body so taboo, we wouldn't be having this problem. In fact, she probably wouldn't even wear the button and if she did, no one would even notice. But instead, in this puritanical society, anything sexual is wrong and dirty. And that is just sad.

I'd bet that Rechieflstuon is fat.

no, she is not.

Schools send kids home for dress code violations everyday.  Skirts too short, obscene messages on clothes, etc... this is pretty common.  It wasn't a big deal until the kids made it an issue.

not at our school, they lag on this s***. on april 20th some kids were wearing "88" shirts(88 means hail hitler)and they teachers did nothing about that...

From reading the story, it sounds like all they've been doing is threatening action against the students. They haven't actually done anything because they're not sure they can.

I'm curious to know how did the media got involved...

the school is split in two because of this issue...students want to wear the buttons, faculty doesnt...and the girl who started this even went to the newspaper to get this heated up...

QUOTE(silver and black @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
no, she is not.

not at our school, they lag on this s***. on april 20th some kids were wearing "88" shirts(88 means hail hitler)and they teachers did nothing about that...

the school is split in two because of this issue...students want to wear the buttons, faculty doesnt...and the girl who started this even went to the newspaper to get this heated up...

And the last line said it all. The students made it a big deal. Would it have been a big deal if the girl hadn't run to the newspapers or got everyone else all riled up?

The 88 reference might not be known by your teachers. Most teachers aren't up on the lasest slang and terms.

Oh please, teacher's know whats going on. Maybe not all of them, but there are definately the younger generation of teachers who know things about the student body that others do not. They just choose not to tell.

Ask chi-guy2 about our Sports Entertainment teacher.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
COme on Apu, you aren't that far removed from HS... a bunch of teenagers running around with the word "Vagina" on their shirts isn't disruptive?  These are the people fart jokes are made for.  These are the same kids that snicker everytime an anatomically correct term for any reproductive organ is used.  It IS disruptive, I don't think that is even an issue.

Fart jokes are funny, and if you don't like fart jokes, that's your own opinion. People young and old will still laugh at fart jokes, whether you want to believe it or not.

That was not the part of the post that bugged me most. This was...

These are the same kids that snicker everytime an anatomically correct term for any reproductive organ is used.

We just recently covered the reproductive system in my anatomy class, meaning we used the word vagina, penis, scrotum, urethra, clitoris, breasts, and all the other terms, and I never heard a snicker. We are just finished up the urinary system today, meaning we used the terms penis and vagina again, and the same thing occurred...no snickering.

In 8th grade, we had a preventing early pregnancy program, and I laughed a little afterwards, not because the words penis and vagina were being used, but because it was my best friend's mom who was saying it, and I'd never heard those types of words from her before...and it was really not that she was saying penis and vagina, but just the way she was saying it. Mind you, I was also still in 8th grade then, and sex was not a huge deal to me...seemed like it was still very far away.

And in Latin, the cardinal number for 6 is 'sex'...and I will laugh, while also being blatantly obvious about how sarcastic I am.

Sexual terms are not as big of a deal as you seem to think we, as teens, think they are.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
Sexual terms are not as big of a deal as you seem to think we, as teens, think they are.

Then you are in the minority and more mature for your age, because most teenagers are pretty idiotic when it comes to this stuff. (MOST). And no, I'm not stereotyping. They just are.

I will say that her taking this to the paper is completely wrong. There is nothing wrong with a little shake up, a little controversy...but when you take it to the paper, a little controversy turns into a huge controversy in the blink of an eye, and that is wrong. That is a teen that is trying to express her right of free speech too much

And qwerty - :finger :fight :chair

this whole thing is a bunch of crap. something like that honestly doesnt hurt anyone else. i'm a senior in high school and honestly - we dont snicker anymore when the word penis or vagina is used by a teacher (in context of course). The girl has the right to wear the shirt - and there is the SC precident for it in Tinker. The SC will side with the girl if it ever gets that far - or at least should, but who knows these days

QUOTE(Nokona @ Apr 30, 2005 -> 05:20 PM)
Then Texas is a lot different from Chicago.

..Oh Wait.

:lol:

You're right there.

However, the majority of my time was spent in the school systems up there before I moved down here, though.

And after I think about it a little more - juniors/seniors in high school are a lot better about that stuff then freshman/sophomores. That two years makes a huge difference in maturity in most cases.