Dan McNeil's Contract Situation

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
Tommy Williams, for instance, is about a million times better than Telander, and yet, the Score let him go.  I loved that guy.

I hear ya big partna.

I miss Tommy on the late show, he was great.

on friday mac was telling people to call some advertising guy with AM1000... cause the guys at john chico's menswear have such great traffic from their am1000 ads... would you be pushing a station you're leaving???? personnally I found Mac/jurko/harry because I would be listening to the sox game at night... and the car radio station would still be on am1000 after work the next day... I started listening... and liked it... I not sure what I'll do if the sox move to the score...

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ May 2, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
on friday mac was telling people to call some advertising guy with AM1000... cause the guys at john chico's menswear have such great traffic from their am1000 ads...  would you be pushing a station you're leaving????

Yes, I've heard commercials using dj's/talk show hosts AFTER they've been fired. Even AFTER they've moved out of town. As in, "Tell 'em [insert radio station call letters]'s [insert talk show host name] sent ya." As long as they are under contract or were under contract at the time, they pretty much have to do what they say. Unless you are Stern... :D

I expect Mac will stay put. He knows how good his show is, and from what it seems, he has a real deep disliking for The Score. I'm sure he will probably not go to the highest bidder, but rather where he is happy, and where money is good. I bet he will be a staple on ESPN for sometime to go, and I expect him to go national before I would expect him to jump to The Score.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
And yet, you project that Boers and Bernstein will get broken up?

If you're basing it purely on the strength of Boers and McNeil having experience together, that would be pretty bad.  I hope that you're not thinking along those lines.  I've been listening to the Score daily since 1992 when I was a freshman in high school, and nobody can tell me that there has been a better show that B & B.

The original Monsters/Heavy Fuel Crew line-ups were way better than anything they have on the "snore" now. MJH is really solid on am1000. B&B tend to get a little too morning zoo-ish with their uncontrollable laughter at semi-funny things.

this from benmaller.com

It was less than six hours to show time, but Dan McNeil didn't know whether the show would go on. McNeil's contract with WMVP-AM 1000 was set to expire after Monday afternoon's "Mac, Jurko & Harry" show, but a station official had sounded a warning to McNeil's agent, Bryan Harlan. "I went home Friday night under the premise that they wanted me on the air [Monday]," McNeil said Monday morning. "I watched sports all weekend planning to do a three-hour show. Then I find out [sunday] night that if we don't have a deal agreed to in principle, I might not go on. I wish they would pick a lane. I could have played golf in Phoenix instead of watching sports all weekend." McNeil hadn't been given an explanation about WMVP's stance. "I don't know if they're afraid I'll do a goodbye show or rip on ABC management," he said. "I'm not the smartest guy, but I'm also not entirely brainless." As it turned out, McNeil did go on the air Monday even though he had not agreed to a contract extension. But by 5 p.m., the deal was done. Program director Len Weiner announced it on the air, proclaiming: "We're thrilled to say that you will be part of this radio station for years to come." Replied McNeil: "I'm here and I couldn't be happier. This is what I wanted as far back as a year ago." The five-year deal is worth about $600,000 a year, according to sources, and that doesn't include potential bonuses for continued strong ratings. As expected, McNeil essentially doubled his salary. The show drew a monster 6.8 rating among men 25-54 for the winter book, marking the first time an all-sports show has been No. 1 in any men's demo in Chicago.