The "Jermaine Dye Support Group"

beck72

I started the "Joe Crede Support Group", and he turned into the hottest sox hitter. So I'm starting the "Jermaine Dye Support Group". He hasn't had the best start. But neither has a few other guys on the sox. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt like we are with the guys we know better.

Just a reminder, Dye: signed with the Sox for less money than he could have made elsewhere, because he was a man of his word; overcame a serious injury to get back; has postseason experience; can play sides of the ball, with some good pop; and is by all accounts healthy.

If he still sucks come June or July, we'll disband. But either way, he's a member of the Sox for the next two yrs. Go Jermaine!

As much as he tormented us last year when he was with Oakland, I'm still glad we don't have to play against him.

He just has to be a better player than he's being right now. He has been for years. I can't believe he will stay this bad for much longer.

Backing a young player who hasnt lived up to his potential is one thing, thinking that an aging veteran will bounce back to his year 2000 potential is another. As far as playing both sides of the ball, I believe he leads the team in errors.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 10, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
I fully back Jermaine Dye.

This guy is a stud hitter, and will carry this offense very shortly.

I dont ever see Dye carrying this offense, he hasnt broken 100 Rbi's since 2000 and has only hit 30 hr's once in his career.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
Backing a young player who hasnt lived up to his potential is one thing, thinking that an aging veteran will bounce back to his year 2000 potential is another.  As far as playing both sides of the ball, I believe he leads the team in errors.

Uribe has 6 errors and Dye has 4 so he's not leading the team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 10, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Backing a young player who hasnt lived up to his potential is one thing, thinking that an aging veteran will bounce back to his year 2000 potential is another.  As far as playing both sides of the ball, I believe he leads the team in errors.

I'm not talking about him bouncing back to his 2000 numbers, where he was hitting like .330 or so. That'd be wonderful...but I didn't expect that from a guy KW paid $5 mil a year for.

I'm talking about him bouncing back to his 2004 numbers, where he had like 25 home runs and hit .265, instead of .200. (he was also hitting like .280 before he busted his hand - after he got hurt he hit like he is hitting now).

If nothing else, he could at least take a few more walks...he's got 4 this season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm not talking about him bouncing back to his 2000 numbers, where he was hitting like .330 or so.  That'd be wonderful...but I didn't expect that from a guy KW paid $5 mil a year for.

I'm talking about him bouncing back to his 2004 numbers, where he had like 25 home runs and hit .265, instead of .200. (he was also hitting like .280 before he busted his hand - after he got hurt he hit like he is hitting now).

If nothing else, he could at least take a few more walks...he's got 4 this season.

.265 23 80 with 128 k's

if thats the number that we are hoping we will "bounce back" to, then we are in serious trouble. He's also already doubled his error total from last year too.

Im not saying give up on him, or trying to be negative, I just think that we all had hopes that returning to a hitters park and the AL central would give him a performance boost, but its become apparent that hes declining, and unless he drastically improves, I do not see him starting in RF next season.

I'm floored by how quick some people are to throw guys under the bus.

He's a professional baseball player, he's gonna hit.

I've been backing Dye all season, let's hope he gets hot. He showed signs of life last week and he's gonna come around.

We're lucky slumping Konerko, Rowand, and Dye haven't hurt this ballculb in the W column. We're still the best team in baseball last time I checked.

Jermaine Dye is a swell guy. But count me out.

However he is a double edged sword of terror. When he is not missing the cutoff throw allowing winning runs to advance into scoring position, dropping fly balls, or not bending over to pick them up he is using his bat to foul it up. He has a new uppercut swing. Dye the sox killer was able to hit the high fastball successfully because his swing was level. How we have a guy that when the game is on the line or we have ducks on the pond he will pretty much hit the ball either to the SS for the GIDP or pop out to the warning track.

Yes he only has 4 errors(he is an OF right), but he also has numerous game changing bonehead plays that cost us at least one game in Oakland.

We are into the middle of may guys. When do you suspect he is coming out of this cold streak. I mean everyone though Konerko was out of his after his big game on Saturday. But that seems to be an abberation.

Short quick line drive swings is what will bring Dye and Konerko out of their collective slumps. But all I see if long looping swings looking for power. I am sure that Joe Borchard could do the same thing that Dye is doing, sans he has speed and has better defense.

Count me in the bring Brian Anderson up and sit Dye for a bit. Give Anderson a taste of the bigs, maybe new blood can ignite the offense a bit and send a valuable message to Dye that no matter how much money you make you have to perform on the field.

PROMOTE BA and McCarthy.