Marte

CSF

I know he's not hurt (at least I don't think he's hurt), but ever since he signed his deal last year, the guy hasn't been the same pitcher. He used to be lights-out and by far the best reliever on this staff, but he's not the same anymore. Everytime he's up there, he's 3-0, 3-1 on hitters, and giving up extra base hits or walking people. I know his ERA is in the mid 2 range, but everytime I see him, it seems like he always misses his spots. To be honest, everyone is worried about Shingo being the least productive reliever. I think at this time, it's Damaso. Whatever it is, I hope he figures it out and soon. Losing this one tonight hurt.

In 15 innings pitched, Marte has given up 14 hits and 12 walks with 18 strikeouts. He has a 1.73 WHIP on the season. That's not good. Last week, a poster here tried to tell me that Marte has been pitching great and I just laughed. I said that Marte is ALWAYS pitching in trouble. Today he wasn't pitching in trouble, he just gave up a bomb. Either he has lost his control or the Cuban connection has rubbed off on him because he is walking far too many guys and giving up far too many hits.

Edited by Jabroni

Something else I noticed, starting with last year is his velocity. He used to pop 95-96 on his fastball. Now on a good night, it may get to 92. It's only 2-3 miles, but like his effectiveness, it's sorely missed.

The problems with Marte can be summed up by watching his delivery. His problems started towards the end of 2003. He stopped following through on his fastball. Now if you watch he short arms it instead of bending over and following through on the pitch. When you short arm pitches(ala Cotts) the ball has a propensity to sail. You never quite get on top of the pitch and it just takes off. Thats what happens when Marte pops it. He can throw his breaking pitch over for a strike like crazy. But he gets to into that and hitters lay off of it. He then drops the velocity a bit to get a strike over and then whammo. To be successful as a reliever you must pitch ahead and stay ahead. He has the stuff, he just needs to locate it more. When he throws strike one he K's hitters at a good clip. When he gets to 2-0 and 3-0 the conga line starts. The ability to throw strike one and be aggressive is what seperates Hermy and Polite from Cotts and Marte and Shingo.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ May 17, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
The problems with Marte can be summed up by watching his delivery.  His problems started towards the end of 2003.  He stopped following through on his fastball.  Now if you watch he short arms it instead of bending over and following through on the pitch.  When you short arm pitches(ala Cotts) the ball has a propensity to sail.  You never quite get on top of the pitch and it just takes off.  Thats what happens when Marte pops it.  He can throw his breaking pitch over for a strike like crazy.  But he gets to into that and hitters lay off of it.  He then drops the velocity a bit to get a strike over and then whammo. To be successful as a reliever you must pitch ahead and stay ahead.  He has the stuff, he just needs to locate it more.  When he throws strike one he K's hitters at a good clip.  When he gets to 2-0 and 3-0 the conga line starts.  The ability to throw strike one and be aggressive is what seperates Hermy and Polite from Cotts and Marte and Shingo.

:notworthy

Took the words right out of my mouth. For some reason now, he doesn't like to follow through on his pitches and I've noticed this also and have been saying it all year, even through his good outings. I don't know why he doesn't follow through because the ball is definately floating on him as soon as he let's it go.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ May 17, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Maybe throwing him out every God damn day could be the problem.  I'm waiting for his arm to fall off.  Just my opinion.

Eh' I don’t know if I'm on board with that argument. No doubt, he isn't the same pitcher he was two years ago, but I don't think overuse is to blame.

His current trend simply solidifies my belief that relievers are completely interchangeable; ride the hot hand and change it up often. Consistency in the bullpen is few and far between.*

*Might merit its own thread in the future.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ May 17, 2005 -> 01:00 AM)
He still is a good RP, he just isnt what we used to think he was, his control is definitely a problem... and if falls behind 3-0 he probably should just walk the guy because he isnt going to throw 3 strikes in a row anyways.

You have to strike every batter out?

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ May 17, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
You have to strike every batter out?

It's much better than falling behind with three straight balls, and then grooving a 3-1 pitch right down the heart of the plate.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 17, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
:notworthy

Took the words right out of my mouth. For some reason now, he doesn't like to follow through on his pitches and I've noticed this also and have been saying it all year, even through his good outings. I don't know why he doesn't follow through because the ball is definately floating on him as soon as he let's it go.

I have often noticed this year his fastballs to righties being high and out. I agree he just needs to adjust his mechanics to follow through. Hopefully, it can be corrected. His slider seems a little flat, as well.

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ May 17, 2005 -> 05:47 AM)
I know he's not hurt (at least I don't think he's hurt), but ever since he signed his deal last year, the guy hasn't been the same pitcher.  He used to be lights-out and by far the best reliever on this staff, but he's not the same anymore.  Everytime he's up there, he's 3-0, 3-1 on hitters, and giving up extra base hits or walking people.  I know his ERA is in the mid 2 range, but everytime I see him, it seems like he always misses his spots.  To be honest, everyone is worried about Shingo being the least productive reliever.  I think at this time, it's Damaso. Whatever it is, I hope he figures it out and soon.  Losing this one tonight hurt.

They both are struggling and need to be more consistent with the strikes. I think it will come. I am very impressed with Politte even though it's early in the season.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ May 18, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
The thing that pisses me off about Marte and a couple others is they get ahead early in the count and then dick around and next thing ya know they are walking them... that drives me crazy to no end!!

El Duque has been really bad with that also.

• 2 weeks later...

I came in on the game at the top of the 8th inning when I saw Marte give up a bloop single to Garret Anderson to tie the game, with loud booing ensuing. I don't want to rip on the guy if he didn't pitch like s***, so somebody tell me how Marte pitched tonight.

QUOTE(ChiSoxFan @ May 31, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
I came in on the game at the top of the 8th inning when I saw Marte give up a bloop single to Garret Anderson to tie the game, with loud booing ensuing.  I don't want to rip on the guy if he didn't pitch like s***, so somebody tell me how Marte pitched tonight.

Erstad killed a pitch that was kinda high for a double. The other two hits given up were cheap. So I guess he wasn't that bad.