C.Lee

Princess Dye

ok time for the pointless speculation scenario

if Milwaukee would have taken Paulie instead of Carlos (we still get Pods and Vizcaino)...... would you have done it?

i suppose this would mean going thru that briefly mentioned "Carlos at 1B" process......... but logistics aside... who would you have kept?

personally, i cant help get sick of Paulie's funks and total lack of speed. i mean, when he's good he's great...... when he's bad, he's like unbelievably bad.

QUOTE(Brian @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
Who'd play 1B? Carlos?

as i alluded to, there was talk of this happening once.

Carlos proposed it himself a while back.... or at least he saw it happening later in his career.

i dunno, the other option is DH Carlos, Frank at first or something.

i guess what i wanted to center on was the Paulie v. Caballo preference, but anyone just take it anyway ya want. it seems like a lot of people here are missing CLee these days.

obviously no one can complain at this point....... but all the same, i cant blame those that miss Carlos when i think about our somewhat low team BA

I won't bite. I'd prefer Kong over CLee for the simple fact that Pauly seems to play for the team more than CLee does. I can remember countless times just over the previous two seasons where it was totally apparent CLee had nothing else on his mind but his own stats and team be damned.

At least with Kong we're the best team in the league with great chemisty and don't have to platoon 1st basemen. I'd take that in a heartbeat over a selfish player who prefers to help himself over his team.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing CLee at his finest because it did help the team. But when he stunk, man did he smell up a joint - always trying for the fences to pad his stats or protecting himself by not extending for a play.

Edited by BuehrleTheAce

I'm always going to think that we could have gotten more for Lee -- and, I'm talking about talent-for-talent, not what we did with the money we saved.

I wasn't a big advocate of the trade then, but Podsednik has been super. I didn't believe the whole thing about him trying to hit homers, I just thought it was a copout for a season that was in line with what he'd been doing in the minors. However, he's been awesome at the plate, working counts, drawing walks, stealing bags... So, I really can't b**** about it, and I don't plan on it. :)

One word: No.

Carlos was booted because he didn't play the way Ozzie wanted him to play. He made it clear that if everyone wasn't on the same page, you wouldn't be on the team. We learned in the off-season why we were never 31-12.

how did i know there'd be snipping and what not.

just a hypothetical. a lot of people have said that they are missing Carlos Lee, so i'm just curious how badly people would want to still have him here.

lets also not pretend like we are worldbeaters as far as RBI/power guys. batting average, even.

i dont care how good we've been.... 3-4-5 spots are UNDERACHIEVING. no? they will have to be better, or else we will be just like the recent good Sox teams that feast on bad pitching only (today as proof?)

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
i dont care how good we've been.... 3-4-5 will have to be better for us to take it to the next level.  Podsednik can steal 2nd and 3rd, but with no one to bring him home.........

I've said that from the beginning, but then again, we've always had a potent 3-4-5 that didn't bring us anything. Dye and Kong are coming around and Thomas will be back in no time. I'm not worried.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ May 21, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
how did i know there'd be snipping and what not.

just a hypothetical.  a lot of people have said that they are missing Carlos Lee, so i'm just curious how badly people would want to still have him here.

lets also not pretend like we are worldbeaters as far as RBI/power guys.  batting average, even.

i dont care how good we've been.... 3-4-5 will have to be better for us to take it to the next level.  Podsednik can steal 2nd and 3rd, but with no one to bring him home.........

I'll bite on this.......good points.

It seems that Rowand, Dye, Pierzynski, Everett, and Konerko are all coming around. Throw in a healthy Frank in a couple weeks and I think they'll be better than fine. Throw in Uribe when he goes on one of his streaks and even Crede and this is a pretty good offense.

EDIT- I forgot Iguchi, the best hitter on the team so far. If he stays the way he is, this a very good offense.

Edited by whitesox91403

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 21, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
I'm always going to think that we could have gotten more for Lee -- and, I'm talking about talent-for-talent, not what we did with the money we saved.

I wasn't a big advocate of the trade then, but Podsednik has been super.  I didn't believe the whole thing about him trying to hit homers, I just thought it was a copout for a season that was in line with what he'd been doing in the minors.  However, he's been awesome at the plate, working counts, drawing walks, stealing bags...  So, I really can't b**** about it, and I don't plan on it.  :)

I totally agree with this post. I felt the same way about the trade, in and of itself. I was afraid Scotty Pods was a flash in the pan.

The weak minded resort to personal attacks when they have nothing of value to say.

It is true that the Brewer's did not want Konerko but what about the A's?

Beane has routinely traded for top rent a player talent to keep his team competitve. It's possible a 3-way could have been worked out sending Koney to the A's, Kotsay & an arm to the Brewers, & Pods & Vizcy to the White Sox.

There were other 3-way possibilities as well. The best GM's exhaust them all before over-paying.

But if you ignore the 3-way possibilities then the only other way to get Pods & Vizcy was probably for the White Sox to give up Crede & an arm.

I don't think it would cost Garland or BMac but probably the next guy in line.

Crede is an enigma that continues to frustrate both KW & all of us fantasy GMs. He's capable of being an all-star 3B but he's so damn inconsistent.

If I had been the GM I would have exhausted all 3 way possibilities of dealing Koney for Pods. Not because I have anything against Koney but rather because I had Lee signed for 2 yrs & Koney for 1. Lee's production

is likely to meet or exceed Koney's in that time & knowing I work for the White Sox I'm unlikely to sign either of them beyond their current contract.

As for who plays 1B, I have Gload as a reserve & Everett could play the position. Especially if he had an entire ST to work at it. He can move about as well as Koney & doesn't have a bad arm either.

Of all the fielding positions 1B is the easiest to replace.

My 2005 WSox would have featured:

LF-Pods, CF-Rowand, RF-Lee

3B-Crede, SS-Uribe, 2B-Iguchi, 1B-Everett/Gload

C-AJ, DH-(Best hitter in the WSox ml's)/Thomas

I don't need Dye if I'm keeping Lee.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
The weak minded resort to personal attacks when they have nothing of value to say. 

No, the weak minded resort to using meaningless stats when they can't back up their arguments. :lolhitting

Why is the hell would the A's want Konerko when they already had Scott Hatteberg and Erubiel Durazo? Not to mention the fact that Konerko is not a "Beane-type" player.

My 2005 WSox would have featured:

LF-Pods, CF-Rowand, RF-Lee

3B-Crede, SS-Uribe, 2B-Iguchi, 1B-Everett/Gload

C-AJ, DH-(Best hitter in the WSox ml's)/Thomas

I don't need Dye if I'm keeping Lee.

LOL, and your 2005 White Sox would be horrible. Everett at 1st base? Boy, you really are a stat-head.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 22, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Why is the hell would the A's want Konerko when they already had Scott Hatteberg and Erubiel Durazo?  Not to mention the fact that Konerko is not a "Beane-type" player.

Some people can't be pleased with 31-12 and have to resort to their other scenarios that could have played out. You are exactly right, they wouldn't want Paul Konerko. Everyone should just be pleased with where we are and quit thinking up bulls*** that didn't happen. Get over it. Lee is gone, he was a dog in the clubhouse based on the Marte stuff that came out and I'm glad we have Pods.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
YOU'RE WRONG!  BEANE WOULD HAVE WANTED KONERKO!  HE LOVES GUYS WITH A .344 CAREER OBP! :lolhitting

MAN I LOVE CARLOS LEE I WISH WE WOULDNT HAVE TRADED HIM. IT WAS GREAT WHEN HAWK USED TO CALL HIM EL CABALLO. I BET WE'LL GET HIM BACK WHEN HE BECOMES A FA AFTER 2007.

:lolhitting

MAN I LOVE CARLOS LEE I WISH WE WOULDNT HAVE TRADED HIM.  IT WAS GREAT WHEN HAWK USED TO CALL HIM EL CABALLO.  I BET WE'LL GET HIM BACK WHEN HE BECOMES A FA AFTER 2007.

:lolhitting

KENNY IS A MORON. HE WOULDN'T TAKE MY CALLS WHEN I WAS TRYING TO ADVISE HIM ON A GREAT 3-WAY TRADE IDEA!

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 22, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
KENNY IS A MORON.  HE WOULDN'T TAKE MY CALLS WHEN I WAS TRYING TO ADVISE HIM ON A GREAT 3-WAY TRADE IDEA!

MAN CARLOS LED US TO SO MANY PENNANTS, I CAN'T BELIEVE WE TRADED THE GUY. IT WAS GREAT WHEN HE USED TO MAKE FUN OF MARTE IN THE CLUBHOUSE. WISH HE WOULD'VE DONE THAT MORE TO HELP OUR CHEMISTRY. HE WAS OUR MVP FOR SO LONG AND HE WAS SUCH A SMART BASERUNNER. FIRE KENNY FOR TRADING THE CHOSEN ONE.

Beane would not have traded Kotsay.  He's trying to lock him up, long term, right now.

It's a known fact he was on the trade block at the time. And a 3-way involving Konerko is not exclusive to the A's. There were other teams interested in Koney's HR power that likewise had good hitting OFers that could have been used.

On what basis do you have to claim Everett would suck at 1B? He's below average in errors, above average in assists, & has claim to several web gems in his career. What makes you think he's any less of an athlete than Koney to make plays at 1B?

Of course Carl would not have to play there all the time because we had Gload coming off a good year. They could have shared DH/1B duties until Thomas returned.

It's one think to love Konerko but quite another to allow that love to blind you in ignorance.