Baines

Soxfest

The Orioles announcers said he was helping the Sox as a special coach or something.

They mentioned something he said about Rowand and how the coaching staff things he can go get anything and has a real good arm and that the Sox are still high on him.

Great game by Loazia and it was great to see Koch get the save, even if he didn't look perfect. I noticed he was working on keeping the ball down and when he was missing he was missing low, which is a big improvement from the past couple games where he was missing up.

Koch was never a great, great closer when he had great stuff. The fact that he could throw the ball 100 MPH was the main reason he was good. He won't succeed with a 91-93 MPH fastball....or evena 93-95 fastball. He just can't. He doesn't have a good breaking ball, he doesn't have a good changeup, and he doesn't have good control. His way-high heat is the reason he has been successful in his career.

Let's hope he gets better as the year goes on. We need his fastball. Otherwise....it doesn't matter what Cotts and Holt do at the major league level. We get the s***-end of the trade again.

I have a funny feeling that Beane knew about the fact that Koch may have lost some speed on his fastball....and used it to his advantage, sticking it to a GM that knew a little less about him. That's not being a smart GM....that's hitting below the f***ing belt.

All we can do is hope he gets his fastball back up there. We have to pay this guy over 6 mill next year.

Koch was never a great, great closer when he had great stuff.  The fact that he could throw the ball 100 MPH was the main reason he was good.  He won't succeed with a 91-93 MPH fastball....or evena  93-95 fastball.  He just can't.  He doesn't have a good breaking ball, he doesn't have a good changeup, and he doesn't have good control.  His way-high heat is the reason he has been successful in his career. 

Let's hope he gets better as the year goes on.  We need his fastball.  Otherwise....it doesn't matter what Cotts and Holt do at the major league level.  We get the s***-end of the trade again.

I have a funny feeling that Beane knew about the fact that Koch may have lost some speed on his fastball....and used it to his advantage, sticking it to a GM that knew a little less about him.  That's not being a smart GM....that's hitting below the f***ing belt.

All we can do is hope he gets his fastball back up there.  We have to pay this guy over 6 mill next year.

well.if it is hitting below the belt kenny should have saw it coming..remember shouldergate??

None of our guys are up to top velocity yet. Give him a few more weeks and I think his fastball will be getting going. It was starting at like 91 and he is up to around 95-96. It takes pitchers a while to get loose and be ready for the season. Don't give up on Billy yet.

the problem with koch is these streches can last almost a whole season...see '01

But Koch is and has been a solid closer for many years? Him piping fastballs and throwing Parque velosity is just a faze, thank goodness I though he was sucking ass.

There is nothing wrong with 95 MPH Fastballs, Koch is a good closer.. Look at Benitez, he is struggling in New York right now, you dont just give up n ppl after 3 weeks of baseball, you have to give them some time.. The Sox are not in any posistion right now where they are going to blow thier chances or anything.. There is a TON of baseball left and to start getting mad at a few bad performances, well thats crazy..

Nothing is wrong with this team, its early, things are going to be fine for them.. There is no reason to get all crazy right now

:nono

Koch was never a great, great closer when he had great stuff.  The fact that he could throw the ball 100 MPH was the main reason he was good.  He won't succeed with a 91-93 MPH fastball....or evena  93-95 fastball.  He just can't.  He doesn't have a good breaking ball, he doesn't have a good changeup, and he doesn't have good control.  His way-high heat is the reason he has been successful in his career.

Thats exactly the reason why I wasn't so giddy about getting him. Without their blazing fastballs, the Koch-type closers have no chance.

So hopefully he can get it all together and make his saves look "prettier".

It doesn't matter if you throw 92-95 or 100 MPH, if you are a one- pitch pitcher eventually you will get burned by big league hitters. Koch needs another pitch and more command to hit his spots. He is a battler, but we need success in the closer position not just effort. I hope he is just struggling a bit with mechanics and with a few saves will get back on track. Heck, I saw that Foulke blew one last night for Oakland.