Would you trade BMac

Cubs Suck23

Some of the replies are nothing but wishes and dreams. Certainly understandable - I have them myself - but a few points don't make much sense.

Saying "I'll take a WS even if it means 100 years in last place" sounds like a deal with the devil. If the Sox win the WS, whenever, they will likely be in a position to repeat the next year. Yes, the team has finished second far too often, but by doing so they have been in a position to win all of those years. I'd like to see the Sox take it all (though I'm not willing to pay the price some of you are), but barring a total team breakup like the Marlins, I see the Sox being very good for years to come. Kenny obviously knows what he's doing (thanks to Ozzie, IMO), and I'm not even going to try to second guess him.

Nope, you take the deal for a guaranteed World Series regardless. It has almost been 100 years since the Sox have won a WS so why would you not take the deal? It would be worth it to suck for a long time if it guaranteed a WS because this has already happened.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 27, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Nope, you take the deal for a guaranteed World Series regardless.  It has almost been 100 years since the Sox have won a WS so why would you not take the deal?  It would be worth it to suck for a long time if it guaranteed a WS because this has already happened.

Yep, I don't know about going into the toliet for another hunded years, but 10 years, I'd be ok with that. Think about how much mileage you'd get out of winning a WS in this town. Shoot, people STILL talk about the '85 Bears, like it was a few years ago.

How could anyone say no to this. I don't get it. I love BMac as much as the next guy but since when is he Roger Clemens. If you took out the name BMac's name in all these posts and left it blank and let someone read, I swear they would think you are talking about Clemens or f***ing Jason Schmidt or something. He had one fricking start that was relatively successful and now people would rather hold on to him than win a ring. WTF? It's ridiculous.

If it included Chavez to the Sox...si

Crede, BMac and Anderson to the A's for Chavez...I'd have to say yes. Think about it...KW does a pretty nice job retooling the rotation with people like El Duque and Contreras...and when was the last time the Sox really had somebody worthwhile come up in their system...besides Burhle.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ May 27, 2005 -> 01:12 PM)
How could anyone say no to this. I don't get it. I love BMac as much as the next guy but since when is he Roger Clemens. If you took out the name BMac's name in all these posts and left it blank and let someone read, I swear they would think you are talking about Clemens or f***ing Jason Schmidt or something. He had one fricking start that was relatively successful and now people would rather hold on to him than win a ring. WTF? It's ridiculous.

Hmmm...

Wow. Some of you people act like McCarthy is Big Ed Walsh reincarnated. He may be good. He may even be great. There is also a chance he may exceptionally mediocre. Then again, he may just suck. He could blow out his arm next year. Remember Jason Bere?

Brandon McCarthy is just a prospect, at this point. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by YASNY

I'd be open to trading him. At the start of the season, he looked like a valuable pitcher for depth purposes in case of injury to one of our other starters. But his AAA numbers and performance in the big leagues indicate he needs some more time before starting at this level.

So, if he's not going to help us much this year anyway, I would have no problem trading him for a veteran who can help us win now.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 28, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
Wow.  Some of you people act like McCarthy is Big Ed Walsh reincarnated.  He may be good.  He may even be great.  There is also a chance he may exceptionally mediocre.  Then again, he may just suck.  He could blow out his arm next year.  Remember Jason Bere?

Brandon McCarthy is just a prospect, at this point.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess not many people (well people who don't do their homework), saw the amount of homers he was giving up in AAA, and his ERA in his last 2 to 3 outings for Charlotte.

Again, BMac is just a prospect. He isn't anything more. He did pretty good against a less than average offense in the Cubs and got lit up against a Texas team. He still has major things to work on. I would even be willing to say Jon Rauch was a better prospect before he blew his arm out. That same thing could happen to BMac. People are more high about him than Jeremy Reed which I think would be impossible hearing so much about him. I'd be happy to trade BMac for many players in this league.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ May 27, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)

Well, the question posed in this thread is ridiculous in the first place, so why would you expect a rational, reasonable answer to a ridiculous question? There is NO player that can guarantee the White Sox a World Series trophy, therefore the question becomes more of a "What would you trade him for?" scenario. My answer to that would be a young, franchise-type player, because that's what McCarthy appears to be on the track toward becoming. Has he produced at the Major league level yet? Not really, but how many 21 year olds do? As for trading him for a rental player, that would be extremely stupid IMO, because you will never see any franchise give up a top prospect like McCarthy (and he is one of the best prospects in baseball) for a player that they'll only have for 1/2 of a season. The Sox gave up one of their top prospects last year in Jeremy Reed in exchange for a guy who could have been a rental player in Freddy Garcia, but the Sox made sure he wasn't one by almost immediately signing him to a 3 year extension, because they wanted to make sure they didn't lose one of their best prospects for nothing (not to mention add a solid starter to the pitching staff for 3 more years). Any team who mortgages their future for one season in that fashion will pay for it in the long run, especially if the deal doesn't pay off for the one season.