What do we need?

mrzo2733

I know we have a great team and I am definitely enjoyin it but... while I think we are very good, I don't think we have the team to win the whole thing right now. I just wanted to see where everyone was at as far as what we need to do to get there.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think our needs have been clearly established yet. Sure we can use some more hitting, but who and where? I believe KW is exploring possibilities out there as we speak, and may be able to pull the trigger on a major deal ... like for Chavez. When we get closer to July 31, he'll be focused on plugging holes.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 27, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
I don't think our needs have been clearly established yet.  Sure we can use some more hitting, but who and where?  I believe KW is exploring possibilities out there as we speak, and may be able to pull the trigger on a major deal ... like for Chavez.  When we get closer to July 31, he'll be focused on plugging holes.

What Yansy said.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:08 AM)
How about a set of 4-9 hitters? :P

I like the fact you didnt put that in green :banghead :D

Seriously we need a few guys to step up and hit instead of making every at bat as painful and excruciating as it is now!!

QUOTE(bulokis @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
We need a LH bat with power in the middle of the lineup. Everett is not gettin it done.

Not to be too stupid here, but if Everett is hitting something like .400 right handed why in the hell is he batting left handed? I know pitching matchups and stuff, but when the game is on the line, wouldn't you rather take a chance on a bad matchup with a .400 hitter?

We need a 3rd basemen....Crede is back on the 'got to go' list. He had that long hitting streak and got to about .300...and now he blows cursed goats again.

Can't we just kidnap Hank Blaylock while we're in Texas? What does the collective bargaining agreement say about that?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
We need a 100% Frank Thomas in the middle of the line up to take the pressure off of some of these guys.

What is with all this hitter angst in the city of chicago?

I just dont get where all this 'pressure' is coming from? We have the #1 pitching staff in the major leagues and yet our professional hitters go up to the plate with tears welling up in their eyes.... :crying

Can we honestly expect Frank to carry the load when he comes back?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
Can we honestly expect Frank to carry the load when he comes back?

No, it will take time for him to get going...and who knows if he'll ever be the same. We're about to start finding out.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ May 27, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
dare i say... a new hitting coach? shake things up a bit. while i know its not walkers fault, sometimes these things need to be done sooner rather than later.

i thought walker had adjusted crede's swing for a higher performance?

Crede's swing accelarates like a mack truck....so maybe he switched it to diesel??

Anyways...I hate blaming coaches for the players inability to hit. Were not striking out a whole lot but the amount of weak outs we have is inexcusible...I think the hitters need to take responsiblity and step up to the level of our pitching staff...Put up or shut up

In late June, package up a few guys and look to make a deal.

Even though they look like s*** right now, Crede, Konerko, Everett, Viz, Cotts and even Dye should have some to a LOT of trade value. I wouldn't slit my wrists if any of them were dealt. Not to mention Frank will be back soon, so someone will be expendable anyway.

The question is, do you make a major shake up of a 1st place team, that late into the season?

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ May 27, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
Rowand .262

Konerko .237

Everett .232

Dye  .212

Crede .234

Uribe .237

Thank God we can pitch...

That won't last and that's not a crack at our pitchers. It is too much to ask of them to be lights out every time. When does the O finally step up?? This description seems to fit 6 of our 9 hitters: well, you know he's a streaky hitter, but once in a while he'll do something clutch and really huge for us and he has potential, it's just a matter of time til he gets going. It seems we've been hearing that for 4 years about too many of our hitters. We thought it was the players, so we shook things up and brought in a new batch. Now it's the same f***ing thing again.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:36 AM)
We thought it was the players, so we shook things up and brought in a new batch. Now it's the same f***ing thing again.

i think the problem is people overestimated what these guys can do. how many of them had s***ty years in the past? probably all of them.

QUOTE(skidoochic @ May 27, 2005 -> 06:32 AM)
Not to be too stupid here, but if Everett is hitting something like .400 right handed why in the hell is he batting left handed?  I know pitching matchups and stuff, but when the game is on the line, wouldn't you rather take a chance on a bad matchup with a .400 hitter?

I read yesterday that the Sox lead the AL against left handers - .299

I don't know how it breaks down by player (if someone knows where to look, I'd appreciate it). As mediocre and sometimes awful as the batters look out there, they hit lefties a ton. I guess this is to be expected with the abundance of right handed hitters, but I still find this stat to be very strange, considering the overall performance of the offense.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 27, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)

I don't know how it breaks down by player (if someone knows where to look, I'd appreciate it). As mediocre and sometimes awful as the batters look out there, they hit lefties a ton. I guess this is to be expected with the abundance of right handed hitters, but I still find this stat to be very strange, considering the overall performance of the offense.

Yep, so it should be a factor to consider when looking to trade or pick up a guy before the deadline.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ May 27, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)

Hey thanks for the reply. I guess I just don't get it! Anyway :gosox1:

Hopefully we can turn it around tonight in Texas! :headbang

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 27, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
...don't forget Gooch.  Maybe KW didn't clean house enough.

Next year's opening day lineup:

LF Podsednik

2B Iguchi

RF Ichiro

1B D Lee

CF Crawford

C Olivo

3B Figgins

DH Pierre

SS Furcal

Speed and Defense!!!

Edited by Finkelstein