The wizzard of OZ?

Be Good

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ May 30, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
I would like to know what you are thinking then...

How would you have done it differently?

There's not a doubt in my mind that Everett should not have hit for Iguchi. If Ozzie was going to ph for Iguchi based on Shields ability against righties....then he should have let AJP bat. AJP makes pretty consistent contact, while Everett's in an absolutely horrific slump at swinging through hittable fastballs. Did anyone actually think Everett was going to make contact that AB?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

He thought Everett could get him the fly ball to tie and he was wrong.

I too would not have pinch hit Everett for Iguchi, strange decision.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
There's not a doubt in my mind that Everett should not have hit for Iguchi.  If Ozzie was going to ph for Iguchi based on Shields ability against righties....then he should have let AJP bat.  AJP makes pretty consistent contact, while Everett's in an absolutely horrific slump at swinging through hittable fastballs.  Did anyone actually think Everett was going to make contact that AB?

He might have popped it up to the 2b man.

:D

I also think Ozzie was very lucky today. Did anyone else wan't to see Iguchi make up for the botched doubleplay? As far as Hermanson being brought in, I had a bad feeling the way the game was going that today would have been the day he gave up a earned run.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:09 PM)
Isn't wizard spelled with one "z"? :ph34r:

:lol:  :begood  :lol:

Please remind yourself that Mr. Good started this thread.

Now.... :begood

You've gotta remember, this guy once had a cult following at Soxtalk.

I guess you weren't here when he told everyone to BE GOOD SONS and CO.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 30, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
Please remind yourself that Mr. Good started this thread.

Now.... :begood

You've gotta remember, this guy once had a cult following at Soxtalk.

I guess you weren't here when he told everyone to BE GOOD SONS and CO.

Oh, no, actually...I'm quite familiar with the Be Good phenomenon.

I love this guy.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Oh, no, actually...I'm quite familiar with the Be Good phenomenon.

I love this guy.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Good, I'll add you to the attendance list for our next BE GOOD worship meeting.

On the docket, 21 reasons why we love Mr. Good.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 30, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
:headbang  :headbang  :headbang

Good, I'll add you to the attendance list for our next BE GOOD worship meeting.

On the docket, 21 reasons why we love Mr. Good.

Good. Now shut up and watch Miss Universe.

It's my favorite part of the competition.

alright, i was out at an establishment that serves alcohol as its main business for the duration of this game, and i refused to read anyone's posts as to not have my opinion tainted, and here are my unadulterated thoughts on today's nightmare, point by point:

1. Buehrle is left in to start the 9th. OK. This is fine. He was in command in the 8th, and had quite the nice little pitch count. If he gets in any trouble, you've got a guy who hasn't allowed a run all season behind him. No problem with this at all.

2. Buerhle allows a leadoff single. Time to bring in the AL's best reliever. He hasn't allowed a run all....wait....what? He's staying in? Why?

3. Buehrle gets an out, and allows another single. Ahh, I see Ozzie walking toward the mound. Thank god. Dusty can get two...wait, why did he touch his left arm? Why is Marte...NOOOOOOO!!!!! Worst, move, ever. I know, I know, he induced a grounder that COULD have ended the game, but of course, after one batter, it's bases loaded and one out.

4. Ozzie leaves Marte in to face Quinlan. Nothing else to say here but f***ING AWFUL. Marte has proven time and time again he can't get it done in tight spots in late innings. Just can't. Never mind against a right-handed hitter. This is the point where you absolutely can't do anything except bring in Hermanson. Hermanson, if I haven't mentioned it yet, HASN'T ALLOWED A RUN!!!! GOD!!!! So of course, Quinlan singles, tie game.

5. Marte, of course, walks in the go-ahead run. Now, at this point, it's a complete clusterf***. Finley is up, the lead is gone, so you might as well leave him in for Finley. And he gets him. Great.

6. With 2nd and 3rd and one out, Everett pinch hits for Iguchi. Now, I was at a bar, and blindly furious and slightly inebriated at this point, but did I miss something here? Was Iguchi hurt? Was he replaced earlier? Why in the lord of f*** and ass would a guy who is hitting .300 be replaced with HOT CARL? It makes no f'ing sense.

7. Timo is left in to face Shields with AJ available. Now, Timo does drive in the winning runs, but could the hit have been luckier? The guy hasn't had a good swing since the Clinton administration, and you leave him in for this? So furious!!!

In the end, I have never been more pissed off after a dramatic win in my life. Never. Ozzie needs to come to the conclusion that there is more to managing then lefty vs. righty and righty vs. lefty matchups. It's insane. I hated the guy last year because he did this stuff constantly, and I find it ironic on the day he gets an extension through 2008 (nothing like showing loyalty to this guy after TWO MONTHS of good managing) that he shows his true colors. Bobby Valentine never overmanaged like this.

Alright, now that the blood has stopped pouring from eyes, I shall stop typing. Have a swell night kids.

QUOTE(Be Good @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
Not Timo replacing Frank.

I agree that a better replacement could have been found (Ozuna or Crazy Carol if you ABSOLUTELY MUST have the lefty vs. righty matchup), but Frank was hurt and needed to be replaced.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
alright, i was out at an establishment that serves alcohol as its main business for the duration of this game, and i refused to read anyone's posts as to not have my opinion tainted, and here are my unadulterated thoughts on today's nightmare, point by point:

1. Buehrle is left in to start the 9th. OK. This is fine. He was in command in the 8th, and had quite the nice little pitch count. If he gets in any trouble, you've got a guy who hasn't allowed a run all season behind him. No problem with this at all.

2. Buerhle allows a leadoff single. Time to bring in the AL's best reliever. He hasn't allowed a run all....wait....what? He's staying in? Why?

3. Buehrle gets an out, and allows another single. Ahh, I see Ozzie walking toward the mound. Thank god. Dusty can get two...wait, why did he touch his left arm? Why is Marte...NOOOOOOO!!!!! Worst, move, ever. I know, I know, he induced a grounder that COULD have ended the game, but of course, after one batter, it's bases loaded and one out.

4. Ozzie leaves Marte in to face Quinlan. Nothing else to say here but f***ING AWFUL. Marte has proven time and time again he can't get it done in tight spots in late innings. Just can't. Never mind against a right-handed hitter. This is the point where you absolutely can't do anything except bring in Hermanson. Hermanson, if I haven't mentioned it yet, HASN'T ALLOWED A RUN!!!! GOD!!!! So of course, Quinlan singles, tie game.

5. Marte, of course, walks in the go-ahead run. Now, at this point, it's a complete clusterf***. Finley is up, the lead is gone, so you might as well leave him in for Finley. And he gets him. Great.

6. With 2nd and 3rd and one out, Everett pinch hits for Iguchi. Now, I was at a bar, and blindly furious and slightly inebriated at this point, but did I miss something here? Was Iguchi hurt? Was he replaced earlier? Why in the lord of f*** and ass would a guy who is hitting .300 be replaced with HOT CARL? It makes no f'ing sense.

7. Timo is left in to face Shields with AJ available. Now, Timo does drive in the winning runs, but could the hit have been luckier? The guy hasn't had a good swing since the Clinton administration, and you leave him in for this? So furious!!!

In the end, I have never been more pissed off after a dramatic win in my life. Never. Ozzie needs to come to the conclusion that there is more to managing then lefty vs. righty and righty vs. lefty matchups. It's insane. I hated the guy last year because he did this stuff constantly, and I find it ironic on the day he gets an extension through 2008 (nothing like showing loyalty to this guy after TWO MONTHS of good managing) that he shows his true colors. Bobby Valentine never overmanaged like this.

Alright, now that the blood has stopped pouring from eyes, I shall stop typing. Have a swell night kids.

Great post, dude. Welcome to soxtalk. :headbang

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ May 31, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
I agree that a better replacement could have been found (Ozuna or Crazy Carol if you ABSOLUTELY MUST have the lefty vs. righty matchup), but Frank was hurt and needed to be replaced.

I understand that Frank needed to be replaced, but why Timo?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 30, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
That's the nature of this board and I suspect other boards as well.  There is a lot of screaming and yelling over decisions made but then after the game some pertinent info comes out and then it's "oh".

Generally it's better to reserve judgement and going off a ledge until one knows the whole story, but that's not the way of this board if you know what I'm sayin'.

Good post and it's hard to disagree with your logic. That being said I am not overly impressed with Ozzie's managing skills and can only hope he gets better as he goes along.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
If I was Ozzie I would have let Marte in as well. If he would have sent in Hermy the Angels would have Erstad  pinch hit.. Which is one of the top hitters in the game

Erstad's one of the top hitters in the game? His .268 average and .700 OPS scares you that much?

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Erstad is a 290 lifetime hitter  with one season over 240 hits hell yeah he scares me alot more than Quilan does...

And Quinlan batted .344 last season, with a .390 average against lefties and an OPS of 1.100. All I'm saying is that if we're scared of Darin Erstad, we need to find a manager with some testicular fortitude. It's like how Ozzie always seems like he'd rather have to face Babe Ruth is a big situation than he would Matt Stairs.

Quilian is batting 167 this season he doesnt sound like a great hitter to me..Usuing your logic about Erstad 265 Avg..

its a matter of a opinion  I would rather have Marte facing Quilian over Hermy facing Erstad you seem to think Quilian is the next babe ruth

I would have to agree with you here.. Ide rather have faced Quinlan in that situation too

Whether or not Guillen's pitching moves were sound decisions is debatable. I didn't agree with leaving Buerhle in that long, but I also didn't want to see Erstad up with two on. Fare enough. Ozzie, on the other hand, should have his power over the batting order immediatly stripped by Kenny-boy. Pinchhitting for Iguchi--stupid. Replacing an injured Thomas with Perez--semi-stupid (Everett sucks anyway). Not giving AJ a crack in the ninth, instead of Perez--real-f***ing-stupid. 2009 is a long way away. Is it possible to bring in a pitching staff coordinator and lineup coordinator, like football, and simply make Ozzie the head coach. I'd rather have Terry Shea setting the Sox batting order.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Whether or not Guillen's pitching moves were sound decisions is debatable.  I didn't agree with leaving Buerhle in that long, but I also didn't want to see Erstad up with two on.  Fare enough.  Ozzie, on the other hand, should have his power over the batting order immediatly stripped by Kenny-boy.  Pinchhitting for Iguchi--stupid.  Replacing an injured Thomas with Perez--semi-stupid (Everett sucks anyway).  Not giving AJ a crack in the ninth, instead of Perez--real-f***ing-stupid.  2009 is a long way away.  Is it possible to bring in a pitching staff coordinator and lineup coordinator, like football, and simply make Ozzie the head coach.  I'd rather have Terry Shea setting the Sox batting order.

Why would you use your only catcher on the bench in that situation? If something happens and we go to extra innings, it is Chris Widger or bust, even if Widge gets hurt. Its a common sense move.