The last 10 days

Hideaway Lights

* We played two first place teams and a rivalry series, all on the road. Texas and Anaheim are in the top five of AL teams.

* Sure, the team lost a game it shouldn't have (Contreras/McPherson), but we also stole one from Zambrano and we got one from Colon too.

* Look at the pitching we faced: Maddux, Zambrano, Prior, E. Santana (who threw like the other Santana that night) Colon, Washburn, Lackey (who owns the Sox in his career) and then faced a red hot Young, Park (at Tex, where he's dominant) and then Washburn again. Not a slouch matchup in the mix.

Looking ahead to June, that will be a true indication of how this team does. We have only 9 games on the road, 5 days off, and we are playing many weak teams. If we don't win at least 16 or 17 games in June, then I'll be concerned.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
* We played two first place teams and a rivalry series, all on the road. Texas and Anaheim are in the top five of AL teams.

* Sure, the team lost a game it shouldn't have (Contreras/McPherson), but we also stole one from Zambrano and we got one from Colon too.

* Look at the pitching we faced: Maddux, Zambrano, Prior, E. Santana (who threw like the other Santana that night) Colon, Washburn, Lackey (who owns the Sox in his career) and then faced a red hot Young, Park (at Tex, where he's dominant) and then Washburn again. Not a slouch matchup in the mix.

Looking ahead to June, that will be a true indication of how this team does. We have only 9 games on the road, 5 days off, and we are playing many weak teams. If we don't win at least 16 or 17 games in June, then I'll be concerned.

We're gonna have to cause I just looked at a stretch we have in the dog days of August starting on the 8th.. @NY @NY @NY, @BOS @BOS @BOS, MIN, MIN, MIN, NY, NY, NY, @MIN @MIN @MIN

Uhh, we're gonna need some cushion before we start that stretch.. :headshake

Edited by GASHWOUND

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ May 30, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
We're gonna have to cause I just looked at a stretch we have in the dog days of August starting on the 8th.. @NY @NY @NY, @BOS @BOS @BOS, MIN, MIN, MIN,  NY, NY, NY,  @MIN @MIN @MIN

Remember that stretch in 2000 where we hit @ Cle, @ NY, Cle, NY, and lost 2 games?

At some point these bats are going to suddenly discover that they can hit the ball. I think that stretch would be a good time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
Remember that stretch in 2000 where we hit @ Cle, @ NY, Cle, NY, and lost 2 games?

At some point these bats are going to suddenly discover that they can hit the ball.  I think that stretch would be a good time.

We didn't just win those games we just annihilated them during that stretch. I think we put up double digits like 4-5 times and scored 17 on the Spankees once if memory serves.

AHHH THE MEMORIES!!!

:cheers

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)

At some point these bats are going to suddenly discover that they can hit the ball.  I think that stretch would be a good time.

If I'm not mistaken, the Sox swept both of those series with the Indians & Yankees. When they returned home the following Monday or Tuesday, they got like a 3 minute standing ovation from the crowd.

I don't buy into this whole theory that the bats will all of a sudden warm up. I think it's a problem. We better get a huge lead before we get to that stretch. And the Sox this year have been making bad/average pitchers look like Cy Young(Westbrook, E Santana to name a couple).

I think most people don't realize that it's a two-sided coin. Yes, the hitting is due to heat up, but the pitching is even more due to cool down.

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
We're gonna have to cause I just looked at a stretch we have in the dog days of August starting on the 8th.. @NY @NY @NY, @BOS @BOS @BOS, MIN, MIN, MIN,  NY, NY, NY,  @MIN @MIN @MIN

August is our make and break for 2005. If we can survive that, print the playoff tickets.

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)

I was just gonna say, THAT 3 week period will make or break us.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
I don't buy into this whole theory that the bats will all of a sudden warm up. I think it's a problem. We better get a huge lead before we get to that stretch. And the Sox this year have been making bad/average pitchers look like Cy Young(Westbrook, E Santana to name a couple).

I don't either. I'm very concerned about the Sox hitters. Three or four of them look absolutely clueless out there. If the Sox make the playoffs, the starters are going to have to sustain their excellence all through the year.

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ May 30, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)

What are the Twins, Bos and NYY doing when they are not playing the White Sox? The Twins have nto faced these teams either and if they are playing one another in this mix, it is tough for all four teams.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 30, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)

That was an awesome moment. Simply amazing. :D

Those two weeks were something that I didn't experience. :crying

My parents went on vacation those two weeks and made me and my cibs stay with my grandma in northern michigan. She didn't have a computer and wouldn't let me watch sports, she would watch CNN allll day, everyday. But the night of the standing ovation, I did get to see that before my grandma came home from the store and quickly changed the channel.